How do I look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvasu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think my chances are?
I am graduating this december, might retake MCAT in late January. Have one or two LOR from DO's that I know. Have some shadowing hours. Planning on spending the spring gaining more volunteer/shadowing/experience hours in the medical field somehow. Apply this fall/winter, or wait for the applications to re open in the summer for fall of 2016?

Members don't see this ad.

I am graduating this december, might retake MCAT in late January. Have one or two LOR from DO's that I know. Have some shadowing hours. Planning on spending the spring gaining more volunteer/shadowing/experience hours in the medical field somehow. Apply this fall/winter, or wait for the applications to re open in the summer for fall of 2016?
data?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the MCAT when you're ready, and not before. Despite the GPA, an unbalanced 24 is doing you no favors. Personally, I'd sit this one out and apply June 1st.

Strongly concur with diesel. 24 is not great. Auto reject at my school and many others.

Possibly DO, but I suggest you work on your verbal reasoning. With practice that score can be raised. Try The Princeton Review Hyperlearning verbal workwook and/or excamkrackers 101 passages. Good luck to you!

Retake the MCAT when you're ready, and not before. Despite the GPA, an unbalanced 24 is doing you no favors. Personally, I'd sit this one out and apply June 1st.
thats what i was planning on doing, waiting for summer 2015 to reapply. dont know if i have time to retake, finishing up undergrad this fall. will be done in december. with the changed MCAT next year, dont know if i have time to retake it, unfortunately :(

thats what i was planning on doing, waiting for summer 2015 to reapply. dont know if i have time to retake, finishing up undergrad this fall. will be done in december. with the changed MCAT next year, dont know if i have time to retake it, unfortunately :(

Well personally I don't think there is a certain age you need to be to go to medical school. I suggest not giving up on your dreams because of one test. 9 is great for DO school, and good enough for some MD. The 6 is really all that needs to be raised, and that is certainly not impossible even within a few months.

many schools won't even consider any applicant with a section below 7 even if the other sections are great...which 9 is not great. Definitely retake if you want to have any chance at any MD schools...don't know much about DO. Take the new version if you have to..which you may because unless they add new dates for the mcat then all the seats for all the dates in all the locations in the nation are full right now..I personally think if you take the new exam, schools will pretty much ignore that 24 because now they are going off a new test....idk if that's true but seems logical to me. You have a 3.7....you're obviously not dumb...how were you doing on the practice MCATs?