HOW do I pick application schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I have an MSAR and the US News book...I am getting really overwhelmed trying to decide...I am thinking 20-25 schools...broad range...here are my stats...

GPA 3.98
MCAT 29 (with an unfortunate 8 in PS)
300+ of hours of experience
NO research
Alaska Resident

Here are a few that I am definitely applying to...

University of Washington (they have a partnership with AK residents)
University of Colorado
University of Arizona (my undergrad school)
Oregon Health Sciences University

Then from there it's all over...I would love to eventually be on the western half of the US but I figure I am going to have to apply broadly bc of my :thumbdown: mcat score...PLEASE HELP me figure this out!!

Thanks!

Also, is there anywhere that they have a compiled list of which schools want which types of LOR's? bc I don't have a non-science professor letter...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here are schools that I have considered...and would be happy to remove or add lots of them...like I said I am flustered...

U of AZ
U of AR
U of CO
Howard
Morehouse
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
U of IL
U of KS
U of KY
Creighton
U of UT
OHSU
U of WA
Marshall
Michigan State
U of ND

Idk...I sort of had a system compiling this but it wasn't a great one...

If you haven't seen it already, take a look at the school selector from the "what are my chances?" sub-forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527971

Your list looks good to me, but to be honest I really don't know much about how to create a list, which is why I recommend the spreadsheet.

Lol... Alaska resident who went to undergrad in Arizona? Quite a difference in weather and scenery!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely recommend that school selection spreadsheet. Also, I'm going to move this thread over to the What are my Chances sub-forum, as that's really the best place to get advice on where to apply.

I have seen that spread sheet...I used it to make the list...but I don't know how to narrow it down...its like how many do I pick from "high chance," "go for it," "hopeful" etc? Plus, if there are 5 schools with the same stats as far as mcat and gpa averages how do i decide?

Ok so here is the FINAL list (at this point haha)
PLEASE let me know if there are any I should remove completely...or add...

Albany
Creighton
Eastern Virginia
George Washington U
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin
Michigan State
Morehouse
Oregon Health Sciences U
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY at Buffalo
University of Arizona
University of Arkansas
University of Colorado
University of Hawaii
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Kansas
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska
University of Nevada
University of Washington
Virginia Commonwealth

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Your list looks good to me.

If I were to add one more which one should it be? I am at 24 and I want to have 25...any thoughts?