How do I prove that I can handle medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeRdyGiRl*

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I recently spoke to a professor on the admissions committee at a near by medical school. He told me that my overall gpa was fine but my science gpa was too low. My science gpa is a 2.5. It is low because I had to deal with moregard issues than a normal student. I have 1 year left as I a biochemistry undergraduate. I do plan on appying to post bacc programs. Should I use my last year as undergrad to retake prereq courses with c's or should I continue to take upper division courses? Which direction will help me better prove I can handle medical school? I would appreciate anyour advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to destroy post bacc coursework to have a shot at any MD schools. DO is a more likely option since they do grade replacement. Can't really claw your way back to a reasonable BCPM gpa with a 2.5 as a starting point unless you've only taken a couple of classes.

As of right now, best to retake all F/D/C science coursework, and then do a psot-bac or SMP once you're finished with UG. The best SMP will be one given by a medical school. They're very common, but be prepared to relocate. You can DIY a post-bac with many CC courses to save $

Hello.

I recently spoke to a professor on the admissions committee at a near by medical school. He told me that my overall gpa was fine but my science gpa was too low. My science gpa is a 2.5. It is low because I had to deal with moregard issues than a normal student. I have 1 year left as I a biochemistry undergraduate. I do plan on appying to post bacc programs. Should I use my last year as undergrad to retake prereq courses with c's or should I continue to take upper division courses? Which direction will help me better prove I can handle medical school? I would appreciate anyour advice. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget the MCAT is a good equalizer, but you should retake those C's too.

Last edited:
^Yeah, I know you and Goro said it raises an eyebrow, but surely it helps more than hurt or else I'm in biggggg trouble.

^Yeah, I know you and Goro said it raises an eyebrow, but surely it helps more than hurt or else I'm in biggggg trouble.
Applicants with a big discrepancy are certainly different from the ones with similar/consistent scores.

Reactions: 1 user

Perhaps it raises the question if this applicant obviously has the ability to perform well in class, why are they not doing so? The material in medical school is not particular difficult conceptually, the mental grind associated with constantly having to be "on your game" is. Very few applicants fail out because they were not smart enough to handle the material. The vast majority fail out because they couldn't motivate themself to keep up with the material for whatever reason (personal issues, tragedy. apathy, etc). An high MCAT/extremely low GPA applicant would present higher likelihood of this occurring (as they've pretty much done it before on a mini-scale in UG). There are ways to overcome it. I would think an SMP if you can get in one would be the most expedient.

Reactions: 2 users
100% concur. I'd like to point out that there's an urban legend among pre-med that somehow a strong MCAT counteracts a weak GPA. It doesn't. Gyngyn and I have the Sisyphean task of trying to snuff that one out.

Perhaps it raises the question if this applicant obviously has the ability to perform well in class, why are they not doing so? The material in medical school is not particular difficult conceptually, the mental grind associated with constantly having to be "on your game" is. Very few applicants fail out because they were not smart enough to handle the material. The vast majority fail out because they couldn't motivate themself to keep up with the material for whatever reason (personal issues, tragedy. apathy, etc). An high MCAT/extremely low GPA applicant would present higher likelihood of this occurring (as they've pretty much done it before on a mini-scale in UG). There are ways to overcome it. I would think an SMP if you can get in one would be the most expedient.

I agree with ya'll, just saying it would surely hurt her more having an average MCAT even after grade redemption.

I am not an expert on the subject but as a nontrad in a similar situation, I will add my 2 cents... First off, listen to what @Goro has to say. He is one of the few forum members that you can take what they say to the bank.

If it was me personally, I would retake your C's and ace a few uppers to show you have what it takes to succeed.

DO grade replacement will work wonders for your particular situation.

Ace the retakes and do well on the MCAT and your dreams may quickly turn into reality.

Good luck :)

100% concur. I'd like to point out that there's an urban legend among pre-med that somehow a strong MCAT counteracts a weak GPA. It doesn't. Gyngyn and I have the Sisyphean task of trying to snuff that one out.
What if there's a strong graduate And post bacc GPA? Asking because this is my situation. I have a 3.0 cumulative but 3.9 grad and 4.0 post bacc with a mid 30s MCAT, wondering if any schools will give me a chance. Doesn't seem like it so far, which sucks because I haven't even gotten a B in 2 years.

The combination of strong post-bac performance and strong MCAT (33+) is good for any DO school and a number of MD schools that value reinvention. So far, my list of them includes Tulane, Case, Vanderbilt, U Miami, Albany, Rosy F, BU, NYMC, Tufts, Drexel, SUNY-Upstate and I believe Wayne State as well. I suspect that more of the lower tier MD schools and all of the new MD schools would be in this category, as well as most state schools for ins-state residents.

What if there's a strong graduate And post bacc GPA? Asking because this is my situation. I have a 3.0 cumulative but 3.9 grad and 4.0 post bacc with a mid 30s MCAT, wondering if any schools will give me a chance. Doesn't seem like it so far, which sucks because I haven't even gotten a B in 2 years.

Reactions: 1 users