How do i pursue my dream?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gold96

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so i am a premed right now hoping to go into med school. I know some of these things are well in the future and i shouldn't worry about them right now, but i like to have a plan.

I want to be a doctor but I've always wanted to work with my favorite professional sports franchises. I know this is far-fetched but i want to know how i would go about this.

Is sports medicine the only route and then to become a surgeon?

I am more interested in psychiatry and being more of a sports psychologist as a doctor. I have a passion for helping people along and giving advice and seeing them progress and i feel like this is my calling, but how do i tie it with sports?

Are there any specific EC's i should be doing, or research?

I know this sounds crazy, but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Primary Care Sports Medicine is a specialty field, you should familiarize yourself with it.

It is a 1-year fellowship, usually undertaken after a primary specialty, (internal medicine, family medicine, emergency medicine, peds, PM&R).

There is also Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, which is another specialty fellowship for people trained in Orthopedics only.

Both types of sports physicians are involved in professional and collegiate-level sports teams. Traditionally the orthopods were the predominant providers in the field but over the recent years there has been more of a shift towards primary-care based providers.

All of this is still way over your head at this point and not something to remotely think about seriously until you actually, well, get into medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any specific EC's i should be doing, or research?

Research getting into medical school first.

Likewise, a google search would have answered this if this is a question, but I'm not sure what this even means if isn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a doctor but I've always wanted to work with my favorite professional sports franchises. I know this is far-fetched but i want to know how i would go about this.

I am more interested in psychiatry and being more of a sports psychologist as a doctor. I have a passion for helping people along and giving advice and seeing them progress and i feel like this is my calling, but how do i tie it with sports?
To efficiently tie all your interests together, you could theoretically do a combined Family Med/Psychiatry residency (5 years) and then a one year fellowship in Sports Medicine. You would not be trained in the surgical treatment of orthopedic injuries if you went this route.

I know this sounds crazy, but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

If wanting to be a sports psychiatrist surgeon for the Dallas Cowboys is crazy, then darn tootin' I don't want to be sane.

Reactions: 1 user