How do I quit my job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amazing tekkers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My supervisor is expecting me to work full time this summer and I don't really have time for that, I want to take summer classes and do directed research. Now this is no ordinary job, it's a student job that pays really well, she does not know I intend to go into the medicine field so I'm not sure how to approach her--my summer classes start July so I have some time until then to quit. Only problem is that the research is a group project and requires me to put in atleast 10 hours a week which would be difficult working full time in the summer.

Any suggestions for quitting? I don't want to burn any bridges, I'd actually like a recommendation from them when I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With regards to explaining your situation, just explain what you plan on doing this summer (it's actually that simple) A's hopefully try to work full by time. If that doesn't work then just quit I guess

Reactions: 1 users
My supervisor is expecting me to work full time this summer and I don't really have time for that, I want to take summer classes and do directed research. Now this is no ordinary job, it's a student job that pays really well, she does not know I intend to go into the medicine field so I'm not sure how to approach her--my summer classes start July so I have some time until then to quit. Only problem is that the research is a group project and requires me to put in atleast 10 hours a week which would be difficult working full time in the summer.

Any suggestions for quitting? I don't want to burn any bridges, I'd actually like a recommendation from them when I apply.

I think the answer is pretty simple, just let your supervisor know about your future plans to go in to medicine, and that you've enjoyed working there but you want to dedicate this summer to med related things. The sooner you do this the better, because your boss will have more time to find someone to replace you, and will be more understanding. I don't see that as burning any bridges.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With regards to explaining your situation, just explain what you plan on doing this summer (it's actually that simple) A's hopefully try to work full by time. If that doesn't work then just quit I guess

Excuse my grammar I'm on my phone

Would she let you take the summer off and let you come back in the fall?

Would she let you take the summer off and let you come back in the fall?

No she won't. I actually want to quit entirely, I've been with them for over a year now, it was great opportunity but I'd actually like to move on to other things--preferably just academics and MCAT before I apply.

No she won't. I actually want to quit entirely, I've been with them for over a year now, it was great opportunity but I'd actually like to move on to other things--preferably just academics and MCAT before I apply.
Ah, okay. What's your major, bro?

Give a two week notice. It's a job, not family. They wouldn't hesitate to lay you off. Don't feel bad about doing what's best for you, because that's the only right decision you can make.

Reactions: 4 users