How do I respond to interviewers questions regarding my COMLEX 2 PE FAIL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
,So as from my previous posts, you can tell that I failed the COMLEX 2 PE which I took in July and received the Fail grade report early september. Fastforward, I have been applying to Psych, IM and Neuro quite broadly and realistically and have received 9 interviews through AOA and ACGME match. I have been asked numerous times why I failed the COMLEX 2 PE when the pass rate is quite high. Most people appear to buy my reasoning at face value but one of them really made me feel terrible and thought like I was wasting his time by even attending the interview. My question is, why would a coordinator or review comittee even send you an invitation if the failing comlex 2 PE was so horrendous for them to swallow?I retook it late last month and I'm hoping for a pass. But really, how should I answer this question when I don't know the answer? I'm trying to sound honest and sincere about why I failed the humanistic portion when all of my OSCE's commended how warm and receptive I was. The only thing that I honestly didn't do was go over the plan thoroughly with them and maybe used a little too much med jargon a few times. However, I did make sure to rectify this in my retake last month.

Another question, I will not receive my score until December, I have 7 interviews lined up, should I postpone them until I get the passing score on my PE in my transcript? Or should I just attend and try to give them my version of how I failed. The assistant PD I encountered for my IM interview seemed like I was just wasting his time and did not want to hear my story. I honestly will never know why I failed this exam and I hope that someone deep down, really believes that I'm not anti-humanistic or incapable of being a good empathetic human being. I am quite shy and passive, but my evaluations always indicate that I have a good rapport with staff and patients. I have never been impolite to anyone throughout my medical career and I feel that people are not willing to look past this fail on the PE and give me an honest chance.

Going to Philadelphia in the middle of a hot summer with a 3 hour time difference, was not easy, but I refute any claim that I was impolite to the standardized patients. I feel that this was a very subjective grading scheme and I don't know if the testmakers the of the ramifications of failing people or changing scoring criteria of the comlex 2 CE will have on our academic careers.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel for you. Although the test ended up going fine for me, this is a very subjective exam and this could happen to any one of us. Somehow someone rubs one of these standardized patients the wrong way and boom you fail. There is really nothing you can do about it. Just be honest on the interviews and you will find some places that take it for what its worth. I would emphasize the point that you have done well on your clinical rotations and that the results of your performance over several months of rotations trump one day with fake patients at a testing center.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, that's a good approach!

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing these horror stories about failing the COMLEX 2 PE; I am an MS2 so I don't have much to add... just that you're not the only one and I'm scared of having to take it some day.

Reactions: 2 users
I keep hearing these horror stories about failing the COMLEX 2 PE; I am an MS2 so I don't have much to add... just that you're not the only one and I'm scared of having to take it some day.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Regarding your position, don't worry about it just focus on level 1. I would recommend scheduling the PE early though. I scheduled it in July. I would have done March or earlier if I had known. I would also recommend the First Aid Step 2CS book and doing myofascial release for OMT. Pay special importance to the 2 minute mark and make sure you make eye contact & smile when appropriate.

I had a close friend fail the PE when we were in medical school. He ended up in an Anesthesia residency. He had a difficult time assessing what may have caused him to fail. Remember that this exam is much more subjective than any of the other step exams. Your performance on this one exam does not reflect what kind of physician you are or your ability to be a good doctor. Residency programs will always ask about exams or classes that you failed. It does not mean that they would not consider you seriously - they are mostly just evaluating your response to failure (I conducted interviews with my residency program as a Chief Resident there). Stay positive, give a thoughtful answer that includes taking ownership for your failure and what you plan to do to remedy it and you will be ok. Good luck!

I retook this exam& PASSED and I'm hoping people will see this as a subjective BS exam. The months of agony this has cost me are unimaginable.

Reactions: 1 user