How do MD/PhD programs view gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm very interested in pursuing an MSTP MD/PhD program. However, with the way my classes are looking like they'll work out, I'll probably be taking one or two gap years.

What I'm wondering is how do MD/PhD programs view gap years? I know MD programs don't care but MD/PhD admissions seem like a completely different beast. Would I be better off getting a masters during that time or starting a PhD and applying for MD after?

Members don't see this ad.

Gap years are very common in MD/PhD programs. Do not start a PhD now if your plan is for MD/PhD. Only do a master's if you won't go into debt and have a lot of time to produce publications. The best option is to work as a tech in a great lab, gain full-time experience, and try to publish in your gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Gap years are very common in MD/PhD programs. Do not start a PhD now if your plan is for MD/PhD. Only do a master's if you won't go into debt and have a lot of time to produce publications. The best option is to work as a tech in a great lab, gain full-time experience, and try to publish in your gap year.
Thanks so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar boat as you! Gap years are common for MD and MD/PhDs (that's why the average age of students entering these programs are closer to 24 than 21). Most people take a gap year and do research, work for a year, and many get Masters. From what I've heard, Gap years as totally fine, but be able to show that you've made good use of that time.

Agreed with the above! In fact, gap years are often incredibly helpful in making you more competitive, as you can take a year or more to work in a lab full time. This shows that you really understand what you are getting yourself into and that you want to (and are able to) pursue a career in the work. I wouldn't worry either way. :)

Coming fresh off the interview trail, I would say about 50% of those who I interviewed with were coming straight out of undergrad and 50% were a year or more out. I agree with the above poster as well that the most important thing is just to make sure that your gap year is productive, which almost always means that you are working in a lab somewhere. But from what you've said, sounds like you'll be good to go! Best of luck!

I've heard a mixed amount, but could you clarify on whether you're compared against people with a similar situation as you? For example, at the University I attend, I spoke to a MD/PhD student and he said that you are compared with the applicant pool as a whole while an MD/PhD I spoke to at Einstein said that you're compared with applicants in a similar situation as you. So if you're applying right out of undergrad, you're compared with these people and if you're applying a few years after undergrad, you're compared with the people who took a gap year or did a masters etc.
Agreed with the above! In fact, gap years are often incredibly helpful in making you more competitive, as you can take a year or more to work in a lab full time. This shows that you really understand what you are getting yourself into and that you want to (and are able to) pursue a career in the work. I wouldn't worry either way. :)

Coming fresh off the interview trail, I would say about 50% of those who I interviewed with were coming straight out of undergrad and 50% were a year or more out. I agree with the above poster as well that the most important thing is just to make sure that your gap year is productive, which almost always means that you are working in a lab somewhere. But from what you've said, sounds like you'll be good to go! Best of luck!

I've heard a mixed amount, but could you clarify on whether you're compared against people with a similar situation as you? For example, at the University I attend, I spoke to a MD/PhD student and he said that you are compared with the applicant pool as a whole while an MD/PhD I spoke to at Einstein said that you're compared with applicants in a similar situation as you. So if you're applying right out of undergrad, you're compared with these people and if you're applying a few years after undergrad, you're compared with the people who took a gap year or did a masters etc.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can give you a very clear answer here. Sorry! I cannot say whether I as an applicant was directly compared with anybody else at any time. But I can say that probably the biggest lesson I learned throughout the application cycle is to avoid comparing yourself to others whenever possible. I found that I was most saddened and disheartened when I let myself look at what other people were doing and tried to fit it to my situation (something like "oh wow, he has similar stats to me and just got an interview, but I haven't heard back from that program yet" -- it's a toxic line of thought!). Conversely, I had the most fun and experienced the most sincere joy when I allowed myself to just cheer for those around me. I'm sure a lot of this will sound cliche, but you won't be able to control who programs do or don't compare you against, so I think the best thing you can do is to just realize that those who you meet on the interview trail are wonderful and like-minded individuals. If all goes well, each of you will be colleagues someday! It's a really cool time of getting to meet other future physician scientists. I know it's hard to think positively sometimes, but it's great to prepare for some of the worries you might face in advance and go in with the best spirit you can!

To try to more logically answer your question and shed some light on my understanding of the process, I would say there definitely was not a huge, obvious separation during my interviews. The only reason I really ever knew if some of the other applicants were gap years was just from casual conversation. And while generally I would say that many other students commented that the applicant pool tends to be about 50/50 for college students and gap year folks, the ratio admitted to each program really seems to vary by year. To me, this wasn't something that seemed to be a major defining factor in admission. Everyone's application will look different in terms of educational background, gap year or no gap year, family situation, extracurriculars, research subject and nature, etc. What will make you stand out is just how you tell your story and the passion you bring to the table. I heard some incredible stories along the trail and it was a humbling, lovely experience to meet so many future colleagues.

I think this is definitely the advice I needed! I feel like I do tend to get in my own head too much but at the end of the day, you can only do your best and the rest is up to the Admission Committee gods. Good to hear about your experiences!

But I can say that probably the biggest lesson I learned throughout the application cycle is to avoid comparing yourself to others whenever possible.

general life advice as well

Gap years are great IF they involve research. I can't comment on gap years that don't involve research (e.g. teaching), but I will say that nearly all of the applicants who I met this past cycle who were on gap years were either A) Doing a post-bacc research program or fellowship (NIH, Fulbright), B) Getting a Master's through a post-bacc fellowship (Rhodes, Marshall, etc.), or C) Working full-time in a lab.

As others have said, along the interview trail at top 20 programs, it seemed like about 50% were on gap years. In my incoming class (top 10 program), roughly 40% of us did gap years. About 1/2 of these students were on post-bacc fellowships involving research or classwork.

I do not think that programs evaluate gap year and traditional students in separate pools. You will be evaluated in direct comparison with students in traditional programs. Adcoms will view your gap year in context with the rest of your application, and ultimately what matters most will be how much research experience you have and how productive you were.

On a personal note, I am a huge advocate for gap years. I think they are a great way to learn about yourself and who you want to be as an adult, outside of a school context. Also very important for preventing burnout! I took a gap year and it was probably the best decision of my academic life thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Gap years are great IF they involve research. I can't comment on gap years that don't involve research (e.g. teaching), but I will say that nearly all of the applicants who I met this past cycle who were on gap years were either A) Doing a post-grad research program or fellowship (NIH, Fulbright), B) Getting a Master's through a post-grad fellowship (Rhodes, Marshall, etc.), or C) Working full-time in a lab.

As others have said, along the interview trail at top 20 programs, it seemed like about 50% were on gap years. In my incoming class (top 10 program), roughly 40% of us did gap years. About 1/2 of these are students were on post-grad fellowships involving research or classwork.

I do not think that programs evaluate gap year and traditional students in separate pools. You will be evaluated in direct comparison with students in traditional programs. Adcoms will view your gap year in context with the rest of your application, and ultimately what matters most will be how much research experience you have and how productive you were.

On a personal note, I am a huge advocate for gap years. I think they are a great way to learn about yourself and who you want to be as an adult, outside of a school context. Also very important for preventing burnout! I took a gap year and it was probably the best decision of my academic life thus far.

Thanks so much! I guess I didn't realize that so many MD/PhD people would take gap years because the training is already so long, but I also figure if I have trouble fitting in substantive research during the school year I can't be the only one!

Thanks so much! I guess I didn't realize that so many MD/PhD people would take gap years because the training is already so long, but I also figure if I have trouble fitting in substantive research during the school year I can't be the only one!
I think a lot of people do it not only to fit in more research, but also to have a year of break before starting down the long path that is MD/PhD. Even if you're doing research full time, it isn't school. At least, that was one of my main reasons. 17 years of school + 8 more years straight did not appeal to me.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a lot of people do it not only to fit in more research, but also to have a year of break before starting down the long path that is MD/PhD. Even if you're doing research full time, it isn't school. At least, that was one of my main reasons. 17 years of school + 8 more years straight did not appeal to me.

Agreed. Summer doing just research are so much more fun and relaxed than summers taking classes + some part time research. The fact that research is both incredibly intellectually rewarding as well as "chill" (for lack of a better word) is one of the reasons getting a PhD really appeals to me. I love the research environment.