How do med schools calculate college gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ese2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that some colleges give GPAs differently. For example, some colleges give out 4.0s for an A-, while other colleges give a 3.7. So how do med schools do it? Do they recalculate all of the applicants with one standard? Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I know that some colleges give GPAs differently. For example, some colleges give out 4.0s for an A-, while other colleges give a 3.7. So how do med schools do it? Do they recalculate all of the applicants with one standard? Thank you.

You're looking for this

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

In short, yes, they convert all of the various grading systems into a single standard AMCAS GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! So assuming my college does a +/-.3, the AMCAS gpa shouldn't differ much at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! So assuming my college does a +/-.3, the AMCAS gpa shouldn't differ much at all?

Some schools do a 4.3 for A+ which AMCAS does not. If your system is max 4.0 / 3.7 / 3.3 etc then there should be no difference