How do medical schools view non-science/medical jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green_Goose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of people around here posting about how they got emergency-room related jobs, but I'm not sure if that's relevant if one has no interest in emergency medicine. If I get a job I like that doesn't have anything to do with medicine, what exactly does that count for, if anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it reveal something about your character? Your persistence, determination, cultural competence, resilience, etc? If it shows a good quality about you that can be translated into the field of medicine then that activity/job means something to admissions committees.

I did a lot of tutoring/teaching which taught me leadership skills, ability to deal with diversity, and the ability to communicate. It was a huge aspect of my application and personal statement.

I see a lot of people around here posting about how they got emergency-room related jobs, but I'm not sure if that's relevant if one has no interest in emergency medicine. If I get a job I like that doesn't have anything to do with medicine, what exactly does that count for, if anything?

As long as you have clinical exposure in some other form, you're probably fine. Especially if it's some kind of customer service job.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have clinical exposure in some other form, you're probably fine. Especially if it's some kind of customer service job.

I haven't actually found a job yet, but that sounds good. Thanks

It doesn't really matter. I work(ed) in retail. They just like to see you doing something.

They'll view you as someone who worked a non-science job

I have worked several jobs ranging from very non science (serving food), to teaching, to service oriented (Americorps), as well as in research and in medicine. They each taught me things about myself and the adcoms loved that I had developed skills and explored options before dedicating myself to medicine. It is more about what you make from your experiences in life than any "check boxes". Go have fun!

Reactions: 1 user