How do MedSchool Adcomms look at transfer students?

TheInstitute

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Let's say if I transferred from a highly regarded state school to a top 20 private institution as a junior, then would this affect me in med school admissions at all?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Transfer up (prestige-wise) -- continue to do well (GPA-wise) -- no problem!

Transfer up -- do less well -- doesn't look good. ("Med school is harder; this guy's already topping out")

Transfer down -- continue to do well -- ("Why'd this guy transfer to a less rigorous school?") If you have a good reason for the transfer, everything's still fine.

Transfer down -- do less well -- doesn't look good.

Reactions: 3 users

Transfer up -- do less well -- doesn't look good. ("Med school is harder; this guy's already topping out")

Transfer down -- continue to do well -- ("Why'd this guy transfer to a less rigorous school?") If you have a good reason for the transfer, everything's still fine.

Would you say it's easier to transfer to elite schools as a junior or a sophomore? I have a subpar HS GPA (3.5), but will be finishing the semester with a 4.0 close to it. (Fingers Crossed). I feel like two years of All A's in STEM Classes would show colleges that I've made exponential strives in academics, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Either scenario, same answer. So transfer whenever they let you ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I transferred after freshman year from a well regarded public school to a public ivy. Did better and got into medical school. The transfer was not grades driven. I was a dumb 18 year old and chose getting away from mommy and daddy over the school that has always and will always be my shining city on the hill.

I think @DokterMom defined it pretty clearly. It's a good point. Well said.