How do neurosurgeons perceive themselves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpossible

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always felt that neurosurgery is much more codependent and integrated with its non-surgical counterpart, neurology, both in the clinical and research aspects, than the other surgical specialties (as in CT surgery to cardiology and general surgery to IM). Would you agree that neurosurgery falls into this circumstance?

Also, I am aware that the field's name is neurological surgery. However, do neurosurgeons generally view themselves as neurological surgeons or surgical neurologists or some gray middle area?
To clarify: do they see themselves as physicians of the nervous system who happen to perform surgery or surgeons who happen to perform surgery on the nervous system.

What's your take.

Members don't see this ad.

I have always felt that neurosurgery is much more codependent and integrated with its non-surgical counterpart, neurology, both in the clinical and research aspects, than the other surgical specialties (as in CT surgery to cardiology and general surgery to IM). Would you agree that neurosurgery falls into this circumstance?

Also, I am aware that the field's name is neurological surgery. However, do neurosurgeons generally view themselves as neurological surgeons or surgical neurologists or some gray middle area?
To clarify: do they see themselves as physicians of the nervous system who happen to perform surgery or surgeons who happen to perform surgery on the nervous system.

What's your take.

crbst_GOD.gif

This is how they view themselves^^

Reactions: 1 users
Surgical Neurologists :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know the phraseology is pretty unusual, but I intended for there to be a strong dichotomy. Does anyone have any input?

Based on my personal acquaintances, mostly as surgeons who operate on the nervous system. Most would have done orthopaedics or general surgery instead of neurology as a second choice. However I'm sure there are also those who represent the other group.

Q: What is the difference between God and a neurosurgeon?

A: God is not a neurosurgeon