How do people who finish undergrad poorly even get into med school here in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClrkKnt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is in med school, says he finished undergrad with a 2.4 GPA (yes a 2.4) but he took time off and a few years later he is attending a med school in the US. Now I do not get what he did. It's not like he saved someone's life and he is not an under-represented minority either (he is a White guy).

He did take more classes or something like that after he graduated college but still it makes no sense. His MCAT score was over 30, around 32 I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Was this MD or DO? If DO, they have a grade replacement system where you can retake classes and essentially replace your old grade. If MD, he probably did post-bac work or got another degree of some sort to repair his GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's an entire thread in the nontrad forum devoted to stories of people with under 3.0 GPAs who redeemed themselves and successfully made it into medical school. With enough work and experience you can overcome a crappy undergrad performance.

Not every pre-med experience can be summarized by an algorithm. Your friend must have excelled at something in his app, lawllll

I finished undergrad with a 2.6 (cGPA and sGPA) and was recently accepted to an MD program. I didn't do anything special in the time since graduation in that I don't have a ridiculous number of publications and didn't start any sort of NGO or anything like that.

I simply took time off, lived life, grew up, and rocked my post-bacc classes and MCAT. Essentially, I checked all the medical school application boxes just like anyone else and explained my undergrad grades in my application (I was young and stupid). Apparently it worked.

Check out this thread for more examples of people getting in with low GPAs:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ntrads-already-accepted-to-med-school.675835/

Reactions: 1 users
Rather than making a new thread you should probably read more of the info that's available around here.

I finished undergrad with a 2.6 (cGPA and sGPA) and was recently accepted to an MD program. I didn't do anything special in the time since graduation in that I don't have a ridiculous number of publications and didn't start any sort of NGO or anything like that.

I simply took time off, lived life, grew up, and rocked my post-bacc classes and MCAT. Essentially, I checked all the medical school application boxes just like anyone else and explained my undergrad grades in my application (I was young and stupid). Apparently it worked.

Check out this thread for more examples of people getting in with low GPAs:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ntrads-already-accepted-to-med-school.675835/

great job and thank you