How do rotations work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didaleetle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you expected to do, what are you graded on, and who grades you?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What are you expected to do, what are you graded on, and who grades you?

Thanks
You are expected to act/dress professional, be on time. Don't be in the way, ask questions (not in front of the patient) read,read,read. Study for the shelf exams. You are graded on how engaging you are, how interested you seem, generally you do some type of paper or presentation, how well you work with others, etc. You will either be graded by a resident or attending who you were assigned to for that rotation.

You are expected to act/dress professional, be on time. Don't be in the way, ask questions (not in front of the patient) read,read,read. Study for the shelf exams. You are graded on how engaging you are, how interested you seem, generally you do some type of paper or presentation, how well you work with others, etc. You will either be graded by a resident or attending who you were assigned to for that rotation.

thanks Cabinbuilder. That is interesting. So its like shadowing, but for a grade. I didn't know what a shelf exam was so I googled it, looks like it is questions from retired USMLE exams. Do they give it to you as an official test at the end or during the rotation or just questions every now and then that are specific to what they do so that they can see if you're learning their specialty?

Everything else kind of seems somewhat subjective. As in if the person you're assigned doesn't like you, then you're screwed type of deal. I'm very easy going and have gotten along with all different types of people in classes and previous work experiences, never had a problem there. But I'm sort of quiet and the whole networking/getting to know specific people that can get you places doesn't always come naturally to me. Hopefully I can work on that for when my 3rd year rolls around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't really tell you about shelf exams but I do know they are at the end of the rotations and you have to pass to pass the rotation. They didn't exist when I was in school. Sorry. But if they are USMLE typee questions then that's just more practice for the boards which is a good thing.

It's not quite like shadowing. You are typically assigned patients to see; you round on them in the morning, write notes, and try to take care of them as if you were a resident. Your grade is usually based on knowledge and ability, but also on how helpful you are and how "un-annoying" you are. It is absolutely very subjective, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user
And be prepared to feel like you got unjust treatment or graded unfairly along the way. That is the subjective part of the rotation where others that are probably not the best qualified get to make decisions about your grade. Then, you have the objective part of the rotation that is the Shelf Exam. That is the part under your control. Where you might have to save your grade from someone out to get you or everyone in general. Just hope your school has about a 50/50 breakdown so you don't get worked over too bad when you have that "bad" rotation.

But in general, look interested, be on time, do what you are told, don't be a tool, and answer questions when asked and don't offer up too much information to make others look bad. Especially anybody higher on the pole than yourself. It is also bad to make your fellow med students look bad by constantly being that "guy" that knows it all. Attendings/Residents love to show that person how little they actually know.

Reactions: 2 users
And if they tell you to go home - GO HOME. There is a lot of paperwork, dictations, etc. that need to be done everyday that the medical student cannon help with and it's really hard to focus when you have someone sitting there watching you. There was a guy in my class who simply refused to go home when he was told and would bug the other attendings for other stuff to do - he got a really bad evaluation for being annoying and being in the way.

And if they tell you to go home - GO HOME. There is a lot of paperwork, dictations, etc. that need to be done everyday that the medical student cannon help with and it's really hard to focus when you have someone sitting there watching you. There was a guy in my class who simply refused to go home when he was told and would bug the other attendings for other stuff to do - he got a really bad evaluation for being annoying and being in the way.

guy-hiding-behind-plants-gif.gif

thanks Cabinbuilder. That is interesting. So its like shadowing, but for a grade. I didn't know what a shelf exam was so I googled it, looks like it is questions from retired USMLE exams. Do they give it to you as an official test at the end or during the rotation or just questions every now and then that are specific to what they do so that they can see if you're learning their specialty?

Everything else kind of seems somewhat subjective. As in if the person you're assigned doesn't like you, then you're screwed type of deal. I'm very easy going and have gotten along with all different types of people in classes and previous work experiences, never had a problem there. But I'm sort of quiet and the whole networking/getting to know specific people that can get you places doesn't always come naturally to me. Hopefully I can work on that for when my 3rd year rolls around.
What year medical student are you? All of these things should have been discussed by your institution if you are anywhere near third year.

What year medical student are you? All of these things should have been discussed by your institution if you are anywhere near third year.
Agreed.
Third/Fourth year are all about showing peeps you can work. That you can work with people/employees and not be a nuisance/idiot.

I'm a first year, just started my 2nd semester. Just trying to figure stuff out early.

I have another question, maybe it can be answered here rather than a new post:

What is an Audition? I heard you can do it at a residency spot you may be interested in to help get you in. Is it an interview? One day type deal or longer?

I'm a first year, just started my 2nd semester. Just trying to figure stuff out early.

What is an Audition? I heard you can do it at a residency spot you may be interested in to help get you in. Is it an interview? One day type deal or longer?
Audition rotation is just like you said. It's doing a rotation at a residency program you are looking at applying to. That gives you a whole month to prove your work ethic and whether you would fit well in that program. On the other hand, it also gives the program a look at you for the 4 weeks.. If you don't mesh then it could backfire. We had some students rotate through our program that NO ONE COULD STAND and they turned around and applied for residency. They were rejected right away. It's not an interview, it's the whole rotation.

Aka sub-i aka away rotation. You do them at programs you're interested in for residency, or you do them in an area of the country you'd like to break into (the residency interview process is extremely regional). In some specialties they are essentially required, while in others they are not done at all.

Yeaaaa..... Im gonna be that person. Focus on your first year, second year, and step one before ever worrying about rotation grading. Your school and other students will answer all of these very basic questions when you get much closer to third year

I have this ridiculous doubt that I've always been kind of ashamed to ask.

I am an IMG. Med school here is 6 years instead of 4, and to be honest I'm not sure I know the difference between shelves, boards, rotations, rounds, internship, wards and clerkships.

Shelves = boards? Or are boards the three steps of USMLE?
Rotations = rounds = wards = clerkships? None of them means internship?

Sorry for the dumb question... I think it's more of a translation issue.

I have this ridiculous doubt that I've always been kind of ashamed to ask.

I am an IMG. Med school here is 6 years instead of 4, and to be honest I'm not sure I know the difference between shelves, boards, rotations, rounds, internship, wards and clerkships.

Shelves = boards? Or are boards the three steps of USMLE?
Rotations = rounds = wards = clerkships? None of them means internship?

Sorry for the dumb question... I think it's more of a translation issue.

Shelves are standardized tests given to third years at the end of each rotation. When people speak about rotations and clerkships they usually mean the same thing. Sub I is an extended, or more in depth rotation. Many schools will require you to do one for internal medicine and you can opt to do a sub I as an elective in other specialties. It's called a Sub internship because it's a quick taste of your internship year also known as the first year of GME training. Boards are the USMLE exams. Wards refer to a place in the hospital.

Reactions: 2 users
Shelves are standardized tests given to third years at the end of each rotation. When people speak about rotations and clerkships they usually mean the same thing. Sub I is an extended, or more in depth rotation. Many schools will require you to do one for internal medicine and you can opt to do a sub I as an elective in other specialties. It's called a Sub internship because it's a quick taste of your internship year also known as the first year of GME training. Boards are the USMLE exams. Wards refer to a place in the hospital.
Thank you so much! Much appreciated! Now I understand.