How do schools determine your state residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takmg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had been living in FL for 6 years until I moved to NY for a job. Since then, I have been in NY for 2 years with FL driver's license. I looked up some of the requirement to become NY resident and I believe I qualify for it. However, for admission purpose, I am not sure how it is being done.

Can I be considered as instate for both FL and NY schools? or am I supposed to choose one? I called a few schools and I am getting mixed answers which really is frustrating to me. I am sure for tuition purpose, they make you submit bunch for documents but I believe that is not being done until after they make a decision? I was thinking they might base it on your "Permanent Address" on AADSAS application. Anyone knows?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone...? literally called all florida and ny schools. They are like :shrug:

I think the main things the schools look at is: where you filed taxes last year, your current drivers license, your voter registration, and whether you own property or have a car registered in a specific state.

Members don't see this ad :)
think more about the public schools in each states
i would personalty choose FL you have university of Florida and LSU both are in state school and prefer people from the state

think more about the public schools in each states
i would personalty choose FL you have university of Florida and LSU both are in state school and prefer people from the state
If only it was that simple....

Not to mention New York has 4 schools with 2 being public schools while Florida has 3 schools with 1 being public....

If only it was that simple....

Not to mention New York has 4 schools with 2 being public schools while Florida has 3 schools with 1 being public....

Thats exactly what I am thinking now. So I kind of figured that I have to choose ONE residency. As for now, I am almost certain I can be one or the other. If I choose it would be only for UF. If I choose NY, it would be for Buffalo or Stony brook. I am really not sure what to do at this point. I am going to submit it today. (I know its really late) I cannot make decision... :confused: Anyone wanna help? My profile is on this thread if you want to know! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/please-help-on-school-list.1097287/

Claiming residency for one state pretty much takes you out of contention for another. In some cases, residency for political/legal considerations is not the same as for tuition purpose.

Claiming residency for one state pretty much takes you out of contention for another. In some cases, residency for political/legal considerations is not the same as for tuition purpose.

Yes, I realized that. I figured I can choose one. I can just say I have been living with my parents in FL. or I can provide tax return, employment and lease stuff to be NY resident. Now I am having dilemma which one to choose at this point.

Last edited:
When winter comes around, would you want yo look up at snowflakes or sunshine?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When winter comes around, would you want yo look up at snowflakes or sunshine?

haha.. thanks for making me laugh. I couldn't laugh for last one week because of application. but anyway I will say it does not matter to me.