How do some students have so many publications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasn't insinuating that you should actually say to your PI, "PUBS OR GTFO". I think stating that you are there for pubs (as in my slightly edited last line "I'm here for pubs. Preferably one in Nature, followed by an Irish") is reasonable (as other posters have also commented). I just think that beating around the bush instead of stating why you are putting your time into that lab is a waste of everyone's time.

So wait a min...

Do PI's actually think that med students are there for anything other than pubs? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

in their perpective you are there to wash glassware and do boring work. They grant you a pub for the service :D
Trading of goods and services.

Members don't see this ad :)
A PI's livelihood is based on cranking out pubs. They want them as much (maybe more) as you do, so don't be shy to tell them you're aiming to publish. That being said, "pubs or gtfo" would probably get you the boot

I don't find anything wrong with the "pubs or gtfo" strategy. No one expects someone to work for nothing. Students are there to work for pay or pubs. If a PI can't provide one of those two things, a student needs to look elsewhere for research. Research opportunities are abundant, and good students have the ability to be choosers rather than beggars.

I don't find anything wrong with the "pubs or gtfo" strategy. No one expects someone to work for nothing. Students are there to work for pay or pubs. If a PI can't provide one of those two things, a student needs to look elsewhere for research. Research opportunities are abundant, and good students have the ability to be choosers rather than beggars.

Exactly. The approach of hoping an exchange of work for pubs is understood can lead to lost time. I used the pubs or gtfo strategy, except in the usual diplomatic way. It turns out, my PI knows exactly where I am coming from. Who knew?

Many good things mentioned on this thread. One thing that is less talked about is that many programs (and PDs for that matter) pride themselves on research output from their residents. Bragging about "our residents had XX abstracts accepted at our specialty's annual meeting, with XX selected for oral presentations" is common. How this reflects on the actual intellectual curiosity of said residents and their eventual contribution to the field is unknown.

Many good things mentioned on this thread. One thing that is less talked about is that many programs (and PDs for that matter) pride themselves on research output from their residents. Bragging about "our residents had XX abstracts accepted at our specialty's annual meeting, with XX selected for oral presentations" is common. How this reflects on the actual intellectual curiosity of said residents and their eventual contribution to the field is unknown.

A number of residents that I encountered were very reluctant to help on manuscripts that needed clinical inputs, portions of discussion, or entire discussion. It will take weeks to get meaningful edits from them because they were either too busy or uninterested. A finished manuscript on the other hand, they are all eager to jump in.