How do students from no-name colleges perform?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysp2918tx

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some students who go to no-name colleges to get high gpa from the benefit of grade inflation which is extremely prevalent in community colleges and colleges that no one knows. How do they fare in dental schools and on DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I know some students who go to no-name colleges to get high gpa from the benefit of grade inflation which is extremely prevalent in community colleges and colleges that no one knows. How do they fare in dental schools and on DAT?
May I ask for your stats and school you attended?

Reactions: 3 users
Personally, I went to a small private school in the Midwest with <2000 people. I have a 3.96 GPA. There is definitely some grade inflation, but I managed a 22AA, 21TS. I don't know what a typical person with a 4.0 gets but I'd imagine there's a huge range.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
image.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users
so... if you don't know all the 2,618 accredited 4 year universities, then they're probably "no name" universities that probably give out grade inflations ?? Well until you take a trip to all 2,618 schools I think you should not call them "no name"... those people from no name universities are probably getting several interviews .. I mean cause Harvard or no name ... if you don't know ochem you just DONT know ochem right? The DAT is a way to figure all that out so I doubt someone from Harvard who knows transcription and translation well will be any different from someone who knows transcription and translation well at a no name.

Reactions: 1 users
:troll:

It depends on the individual. Going to a small university doesn't inherently make you less intelligent/studious than someone going to a top university. Yes, you will have less competition and an entirely different experience at a lesser-known school.

My best friend, who had a perfect ACT score and was a national merit scholar, was admitted to an ivy and several top public schools. He chose a full-ride at a smaller university. He's in no debt right now and is in a PhD program at a big-name school. He's also exponentially more intelligent than me. So, anecdotal here, but he's doing just fine.

I chose to go to a top, big name, public school for undergrad. Yes, these schools have much more intense competition. Look at who gets admitted to these undergrads - 3.9GPA, 95th + percentile test scores averages. Obviously it is a very different experience.

That's why the DAT exists: it's an equalizer. It's an objective test.

TL;DR Don't worry about other's experiences. Go where you will be happy and flourish, and just do your absolute best. You'll end up where you want to be if you work hard enough.

Reactions: 6 users
I only asked so I could call him out on his BS post.

Yeah he needs to chill on calling out people he doesn't know. He should worry about himself and not feel the need to drag others down with him.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I chose to attend the honors program at my school. (It's pretty big, but not exactly famous.) Student body and Professors are awesome, very open minded and such. It's more affordable and I get priority scheduling so I get to take the good professors there. YMMV

I went to a small college in the middle of nowhere.
I'm in dental school now.
And I think I'll get my DDS in the next four year *knock on wood*

I mean, im doing fine

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in my dental class sitting next to several people who went to big name private schools and Ivy Leagues. We all had similar gpas and DAT scores the only difference is I paid 5k yr and graduated with no debt and they paid 30k and are piling it onto what they owe for dental school. We're all sitting in the same chairs, ended up in the same place. I'd say I got the better end of the deal. And just an FYI - dental schools don't care where you went for undergrad so save your self the ego and money.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my dental class sitting next to several people who went to big name private schools and Ivy Leagues. We all had similar gpas and DAT scores the only difference is I paid 5k yr and graduated with no debt and they paid 30k and are piling it onto what they owe for dental school. We're all sitting in the same chairs, ended up in the same place. I'd say I got the better end of the deal. And just an FYI - dental schools don't care where you went for undergrad so save your self the ego and money.

Good friend payed 25k a year. I payed 5k a year

I talked to a dentist who used to be on LSU's admissions committee and she plainly said that going to a well known school could affect her opinion as she had a better idea how rigorous that school was relative to lesser known schools. This was straight from the horses mouth, however she was just one former admissions person and not necessarily representative of all people on admissions committees today.

I went to a small school that's lesser known outside the north east, but I can tell you it's notorious for not giving out A's easily. Serious grade deflation. Even a big-name "top" Ivy league like Harvard has serious grade inflation according to numerous articles and from my professor who's taught at both Harvard and my institution. My point is, large and public, small and private, known and lesser known, it doesn't matter. That's why the DAT exists to help standardize the pool. That's not to say that a low DAT or high DAT score determines intelligence because what you achieve is dependent on a lot of factors like sleep, preparation, study materials, anxiety, unforeseen events, etc. That's why I sincerely hope adcoms look at each application holistically, but unfortunately, I don't believe that's the case for most dental schools. Oh well, what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BRAVO!!!:bow::soexcited:
Speak the TRUTH!

Smart people go to schools that are incredibly difficult and can struggle to barely maintain a 3.4 GPA. Other students that are not so intelligent go to easy schools and breeze through classes with a 4.0 GPA

Smart people go to schools that are incredibly difficult and can struggle to barely maintain a 3.4 GPA. Other students that are not so intelligent go to easy schools and breeze through classes with a 4.0 GPA
Smart people go to the school that increases their chances of success in the future. And I'm sure they get a 4.0 at difficult ones too if they are actually "smart".

Dumb people go to a school they think sounds prestigious and get a poor GPA but rationalize it by saying their school was harder. And they probably won't get a 4.0 anywhere they go lol

Smart people do a variety of things. Some smart people go to schools that they can afford for one, not necessarily the school that looks best on a resume.

Smart people do a variety of things. Some smart people go to schools that they can afford for one, not necessarily the school that looks best on a resume.
I agree. I think "dumb" people get caught up in rank and egotistical things too much. The place you feel will prepare you best for dental school (both chances and curriculum), is financially sound, and will be an enjoyable experience is probably the college to go to. Not the one that's there to flaunt.

I was 17, so I went to whatever school appealed to me, lol. With that said, I agree with the opinions that the DAT serves as an equalizer.

Obvious troll topic, but I figure a conversation can be salvaged. While I was applying, I figured my undergrad school had absolutely no bearing at all on my chances. However, after a couple interviews, I feel like I've changed my mind a bit. My undergrad school is U Michigan, and when I was doing my MMI interview at Marquette, 3/4 of the interviewers mentioned that they liked to see I could handle the academic rigor at UM and the courseload at dental school wouldn't be too much for me. Just food for thought.

I went to a small school that's lesser known outside the north east, but I can tell you it's notorious for not giving out A's easily. Serious grade deflation. Even a big-name "top" Ivy league like Harvard has serious grade inflation according to numerous articles and from my professor who's taught at both Harvard and my institution. My point is, large and public, small and private, known and lesser known, it doesn't matter. That's why the DAT exists to help standardize the pool. That's not to say that a low DAT or high DAT score determines intelligence because what you achieve is dependent on a lot of factors like sleep, preparation, study materials, anxiety, unforeseen events, etc. That's why I sincerely hope adcoms look at each application holistically, but unfortunately, I don't believe that's the case for most dental schools. Oh well, what can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Totally agree! I went to a smaller private school to play sports and because they're acceptance rate to med/dental school was said to be 99%. However, when compared with other friends who went to bigger state schools, my classes seemed a lot more difficult than theirs. The teachers were not the greatest and I found that at a small school the professors held you to a much higher standard and made everything that much more difficult than it needed to be just because they can. The professors don't have as many students to worry about so know just about everything about you. So yes, as much as we hate it, good thing for the DAT to help even things out.

Last edited: