How do you deal w/this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Store closes at 7pm, I'm the only one working. People drop off scripts at 6:30, 3 scripts then 2 then 1 and 1 more, 6 more refills in computer to do.

I tell people come back tomorrow, I can't humanly possibly fill them by closing time at 7pm, I'm going home. Can I be sued for refusing to fill until tomorrow am? What responsibility do these people waiting till the last minute have?

I'm going home, I get paid till 7, close at 7, period. :scared::scared::scared::eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Finish the 2 waiters, next 2 have to come back tomorrow. Refills are left in the queue for tomorrow morning's shift. Should have enough time to count your drawer and close up. I'd deal with it by leaving it at work... not taking it home with me. ;)

You have to make a judgment about the necessity of having the prescriptions now. If the patient needs the medication now, e.g. hospital discharge or ER scripts or whatever, you stay until 8PM if you have to. You are a health professional who is highly compensated, not a minimum wage burger flipper whose shift has ended. If the script is a refill of their HCTZ, give them one no charge for the morning and have them come back....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you OldTimer,

That didn't even occur to me as a solution..to PRIORITIZE. But this is why I am always lurking around SDN learning from people like you. Keep up the good work.

You have to make a judgment about the necessity of having the prescriptions now. If the patient needs the medication now, e.g. hospital discharge or ER scripts or whatever, you stay until 8PM if you have to. You are a health professional who is highly compensated, not a minimum wage burger flipper whose shift has ended. If the script is a refill of their HCTZ, give them one no charge for the morning and have them come back....

I agree with you, but unfortunely. . . i dont practice what I believe. I strongly believe that a patient should be responsible for what they do. Besides ER/emergency medicine (Even in some cases, I refer them to the next 24 hour pharmacy since I am in NYC), I refuse to fill any prescription that is brought in the last 5 minutes. If a guy runs in at 7 59 while I am closing the gates and demands that I fill his hctz that he ran out, I say tough luck.

The one thing I cant stand most after people who says what takes so long. . . all u got to do is get it and put it inside the bottle are people who come in last minute with 10 rxs and expects it to be filled. If we are not hamburger flippers whose shift has ended, then we shouldnt be treated like one. Most of these people are aware of what time my pharmacy closes because I told them several times not to come in. (I fill first time if they really didnt know and need it).

To make an analogy; if a patient comes running in to a doctors office last minute, would you expect the doctor to stay open and see him?

With all that being said, I will take any prescriptions to be filled for tomorrow before my shift ends. What I said above only applies to people who want it to be filled asap. I also would not give out a free tablet of hctz. It's always precious to see the expression of a patient who comes clamoring that he needs it and would die without it. When I lecture them. . . so for a life medication, you waited until the last day, you didnt take the courtesy to make sure it will be filled by calling ahead an hour before, or have anyone else in your family do you the favor?

Last edited:
When you turn people away, you are acting like a burger flipper. Period. Not a professional.

I take it as a case by case scenario. Ive told people to come back tomorrow and other cases Ive filled it even when I really want to go home. Depends on the med and the person.

One trick I do is close 1/2 the pharmacy about 5-10 minutes prior to closing. Ill begin to pull the gate which covers my entire drop off area and production area and just leave the registers open for pick up. Generally, people get the idea that its too late to drop off scripts and are more accepting to the fact that theyll be asked to come back tomorrow.

I agree it is annoying as hell though.

When you turn people away, you are acting like a burger flipper. Period. Not a professional.

How are you acting as a burger flipper? Being a health care professional DOES NOT MEAN you are required to work beyond up to an hour after your shift has ended. That is an exaggeration and going well beyond your professional duties. There are many pharmacists who are not paid overtime and must simply close the pharmacy at a scheduled time, in accordance with store policy. If the patient has never been to a particular pharmacy and brought in a prescription at closing time unknowingly and is in dire need of the medication, I can definitely understand remaining open FOR UP to 20 minutes past the hour. But to go out of my reach and remain open for 1 HOUR is not my obligation, especially if you are a frequent patient and are well aware of the pharmacy's business hours.

I hate to break it to you, but as altruistic, sympathetic, and professional as you want to appear, pharmacy, like any other health care profession, is a business and pharmacists have the right to be compensated for that hypothetical extra hour of usually non-paid overtime work. Besides, if you really feel it is professional to stay open an hour after your shift, you are actually doing yourself a disservice in two ways. Number one, people will continue to come to the pharmacy during that hour period and request you to fill their prescription; thinking along that line, since you believe is it unprofessional to turn people away, what are you going to do? Are you going to continue filling their prescriptions as they come along all because you don't have the heart to tell them, "Sir or Ma'am, I'm sorry, but we are closed at this time. I will ensure you get your prescription first thing tomorrow morning." If you continue to satisfy their every need, you will lose respect and will never put an end to your work for the day.

Number two, you are simply human. As a pharmacist, however well compensated you may be, you are nothing more than a human being and understandably, you are fatigued at the end of an 8-12 hour shift. Why place so much emphasis on professionalism without looking after yourself a little? How would you feel if during that additional hour you stay open, you suddenly make a serious error all because you are already tired and partly in a rush to leave? Point is, think of yourself too. Absolutely none of those patients are going to care for your well-being. So, enough with the garbage, develop some strength and have the heart to say "NO, WE ARE CLOSED, SIR."

I've never met any pharmacist, including the ones I work with, who would be willing to put off closing the pharmacy for up to an hour. No, no, no. And don't get me wrong. The pharmacists I work with as a clerk are GREAT people, very professional, and they truly love their profession. But they also enforce discipline even on patients, follow store policy of closing at around a certain time, and make exceptions filling scripts up to 15-20 minutes past the hour. Afterwards, they tactfully state the pharmacy is closed and that ANY script will have to wait to be filled the next day. In the event a patient needs a medication badly enough and the pharmacy is already closed, the pharmacists will refer the patient to the pharmacy across the street or two blocks away. So, they're also polite and professional into referring them to the nearest pharmacy.

Last edited:
Like always, the students who have not practiced a minute of pharmacy in their lives with the strongest opinions on how to practice pharmacy. Oldtimer is right on this one hands down; his response should have marked the end of the thread.

Like always, the students who have not practiced a minute of pharmacy in their lives with the strongest opinions on how to practice pharmacy. Oldtimer is right on this one hands down; his response should have marked the end of the thread.

Agreed.

Unless it's an emergency and you can't live without your meds, I'm hauling ass home!

OLDTIMER is correct. I own two pharmacies and I stay as late as I have to to finish up work. There is no "morning shift" to leave it to. The morning shift is myself. Yes people should be aware of the time or call earlier but that is something that is never going to change. I know that most of the people who say when its 7, im done no questions asked are the one who have no vested interest in either the business or the patients. If i dont fill the RX then they go somewhere else and thats money our of my kids mouths. I know there are always two sides to the story but just fill the Rx, there are so many people that would be willing to work a 12 hours shift and have to stay for an extra 15 minutes for the compensation we get.

How are you acting as a burger flipper? ..........them to the nearest pharmacy.

You wonderfully described the policy I developed during my stint in retail.

Once when I was still naive I stayed late to fill non-emergency prescriptions. My tech and I stayed almost an hour overtime (for free) and all we got was yelled at. Yelled at by customers who expect their medicines to be filled before they even bring in a prescription. Yelled at by the store manager for not closing the pharmacy on time. Scowled at by the tech for not letting them leave on time (but at least they got paid).

You would think that if you go above and beyond that someone might actually express gratitude in some fashion. Overtime pay? A 'thank you'? Something? Sadly I've learned that it doesn't work that way. If you don't demand respect from customers they aren't going to give it to you.

Now my policy is this: The rare (I can count all the ones I've ever met on one hand) regular patient who treats me like a human being gets their stuff filled after hours. True emergencies get their stuff filled. Everyone else waits until tomorrow. As soon as the shift ends I'm out the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
As another old timer, I'm with Old Timer. But that's why I (mostly) don't work in retail any more. As a professional, you stay late to get the job done, and I have done it many, many times. But...working for free is exploitation.

The one day a week I work in a store, the boss pays me if I have to stay late to serve all the people. I expect this, and maybe you people should demand it. I'm gobsmacked that you would be expected to work for free.

How are you acting as a burger flipper? Being a health care professional DOES NOT MEAN you are required to work beyond up to an hour after your shift has ended. That is an exaggeration and going well beyond your professional duties. There are many pharmacists who are not paid overtime and must simply close the pharmacy at a scheduled time, in accordance with store policy. If the patient has never been to a particular pharmacy and brought in a prescription at closing time unknowingly and is in dire need of the medication, I can definitely understand remaining open FOR UP to 20 minutes past the hour. But to go out of my reach and remain open for 1 HOUR is not my obligation, especially if you are a frequent patient and are well aware of the pharmacy's business hours.

I hate to break it to you, but as altruistic, sympathetic, and professional as you want to appear, pharmacy, like any other health care profession, is a business and pharmacists have the right to be compensated for that hypothetical extra hour of usually non-paid overtime work. Besides, if you really feel it is professional to stay open an hour after your shift, you are actually doing yourself a disservice in two ways. Number one, people will continue to come to the pharmacy during that hour period and request you to fill their prescription; thinking along that line, since you believe is it unprofessional to turn people away, what are you going to do? Are you going to continue filling their prescriptions as they come along all because you don't have the heart to tell them, "Sir or Ma'am, I'm sorry, but we are closed at this time. I will ensure you get your prescription first thing tomorrow morning." If you continue to satisfy their every need, you will lose respect and will never put an end to your work for the day.

Number two, you are simply human. As a pharmacist, however well compensated you may be, you are nothing more than a human being and understandably, you are fatigued at the end of an 8-12 hour shift. Why place so much emphasis on professionalism without looking after yourself a little? How would you feel if during that additional hour you stay open, you suddenly make a serious error all because you are already tired and partly in a rush to leave? Point is, think of yourself too. Absolutely none of those patients are going to care for your well-being. So, enough with the garbage, develop some strength and have the heart to say "NO, WE ARE CLOSED, SIR."

I've never met any pharmacist, including the ones I work with, who would be willing to put off closing the pharmacy for up to an hour. No, no, no. And don't get me wrong. The pharmacists I work with as a clerk are GREAT people, very professional, and they truly love their profession. But they also enforce discipline even on patients, follow store policy of closing at around a certain time, and make exceptions filling scripts up to 15-20 minutes past the hour. Afterwards, they tactfully state the pharmacy is closed and that ANY script will have to wait to be filled the next day. In the event a patient needs a medication badly enough and the pharmacy is already closed, the pharmacists will refer the patient to the pharmacy across the street or two blocks away. So, they're also polite and professional into referring them to the nearest pharmacy.

Rx86...you're not going to like this, but you've taken an oddly strong stance questioning a pharmacist's call on professionalism while you're also asking questions like "do I need calculus for a 1 credit pharmacy calculations class?" or "should I review stereochem a month before pharmacy school?". I still haven't figured out what the big deal is regarding the PharmD/we deserve to be called "Doctors" issue...but I do know that slamming gates in patients' faces isn't the best way to go about projecting a professional image. Like OldTimer alluded...we're not baristas at Starbucks...if the patient truly needs our help, they deserve our extra time. Why on earth would we come up with capping that at 20 minutes?

Without even starting a day of pharmacy school, you're telling someone who's been a practicing pharmacist for years: "enough with the garbage, develop some strength and have the heart to say "NO, WE ARE CLOSED, SIR." Seriously??? You think it takes heart of all things to do that?

So, I'm sorry...but if a you can't see how prioritizing last-minute scripts is a professional call, and that we cannot make an absolute rule about refusing these late walk-ins, you've got a lot more to learn about the profession than you may realize. It's one thing if a straggler walks in with a 4 month-old script for Penlac, but like OldTimer said...you've got to make the judgment call based on necessity. If it's not crucial to process it that evening, give them a few to hold them over; you can even fax the script over to another pharmacy to speed up the process if that's appropriate. Use a common sense approach.

My area of work is far different then retail, but for the past few months I've stayed 2-3 hours every day on top of a regular 8-hour shift, just to finish things up (I get paid salary, so no overtime). Would I wish this on anyone else? Of course not...but we're severely understaffed and I'm a highly compensated health professional...I won't allow us to compromise patient care. I force myself to put myself in the patient's shoes every day. Just a few examples from today: if I had just said, forget it, it's 4 o'clock, I'm going home...a child with pheochromocytoma wouldn't be getting MIBG next week; thallium wouldn't be ordered for the holiday weekend, a couple order entry mistakes wouldn't have been caught when I double checked, etc. My manager, the regional director, corporate, all recognize the extra work that's put in.

Am I saying you should let the CVS'/Walgreens' overwork you and run you into the ground? Of course not...but don't ever let youself get caught justifying jeopardizing patient care, or causing an inconvenience to a patient...because it's convenient for you.

Rx86...you're not going to like this, but you've taken an oddly strong stance questioning a pharmacist's call on professionalism while you're also asking questions like "do I need calculus for a 1 credit pharmacy calculations class?" or "should I review stereochem a month before pharmacy school?". I still haven't figured out what the big deal is regarding the PharmD/we deserve to be called "Doctors" issue...but I do know that slamming gates in patients' faces isn't the best way to go about projecting a professional image. Like OldTimer alluded...we're not baristas at Starbucks...if the patient truly needs our help, they deserve our extra time. Why on earth would we come up with capping that at 20 minutes?

Without even starting a day of pharmacy school, you're telling someone who's been a practicing pharmacist for years: "enough with the garbage, develop some strength and have the heart to say "NO, WE ARE CLOSED, SIR." Seriously??? You think it takes heart of all things to do that?

So, I'm sorry...but if a you can't see how prioritizing last-minute scripts is a professional call, and that we cannot make an absolute rule about refusing these late walk-ins, you've got a lot more to learn about the profession than you may realize. It's one thing if a straggler walks in with a 4 month-old script for Penlac, but like OldTimer said...you've got to make the judgment call based on necessity. If it's not crucial to process it that evening, give them a few to hold them over; you can even fax the script over to another pharmacy to speed up the process if that's appropriate. Use a common sense approach.

My area of work is far different then retail, but for the past few months I've stayed 2-3 hours every day on top of a regular 8-hour shift, just to finish things up (I get paid salary, so no overtime). Would I wish this on anyone else? Of course not...but we're severely understaffed and I'm a highly compensated health professional...I won't allow us to compromise patient care. I force myself to put myself in the patient's shoes every day. Just a few examples from today: if I had just said, forget it, it's 4 o'clock, I'm going home...a child with pheochromocytoma wouldn't be getting MIBG next week; thallium wouldn't be ordered for the holiday weekend, a couple order entry mistakes wouldn't have been caught when I double checked, etc. My manager, the regional director, corporate, all recognize the extra work that's put in.

Am I saying you should let the CVS'/Walgreens' overwork you and run you into the ground? Of course not...but don't ever let youself get caught justifying jeopardizing patient care, or causing an inconvenience to a patient...because it's convenient for you.

Thanks for your opinion, spiriva. I do not see anything offensive. However, just to clarify, I really do believe it is exploitation, like another poster above said, to work an extra hour or two if you are not being paid. I sincerely believe in the well-being of patients, but it is one thing to be compensated for your overtime and another to simply work and receive nothing in return for that extra time. At the retail pharmacy I work in, the pharmacists don't get paid a single penny for any additional time they remain open after closing time. Therefore, they shouldn't be expected to continue working without compensation for an hour. If you are fortunate enough to get paid for your services during overtime, then you definitely should and must serve the needs of the patients.

Being realistic, no one works for free. Honestly, I don't know of even a single physician or pharmacist who is going to work an additional hour with no compensation, no matter how altruistic or benelovent that person may be. I hope this clarifies things...once again, if you are getting paid for your overtime, have your own business and want your patients as well as the business itself to thrive, then by all means you should and will remain open for additional time. Otherwise, like one or two people who are current pharmacists have said, it is exploitation.

In terms of the calculus and the stereochem, I'm not so sure what the problem is with that. It was a genuine question I had in order to prepare well for pharmacy school. What is the problem with that? I have not mentioned a Pharm.D. being addressed as "doctor" in quite a while, and at this point, it is irrelevant. I don't understand why you are bringing any of this up. By the way, do you work in hospital pharmacy? I ask since you said your position is different from retail.

As another old timer, I'm with Old Timer. But that's why I (mostly) don't work in retail any more. As a professional, you stay late to get the job done, and I have done it many, many times. But...working for free is exploitation.

The one day a week I work in a store, the boss pays me if I have to stay late to serve all the people. I expect this, and maybe you people should demand it. I'm gobsmacked that you would be expected to work for free.[/quote]

I agree with this.

Thanks for your opinion, spiriva. I do not see anything offensive. However, just to clarify, I really do believe it is exploitation, like another poster above said, to work an extra hour or two if you are not being paid. I sincerely believe in the well-being of patients, but it is one thing to be compensated for your overtime and another to simply work and receive nothing in return for that extra time. At the retail pharmacy I work in, the pharmacists don't get paid a single penny for any additional time they remain open after closing time. Therefore, they shouldn't be expected to continue working without compensation for an hour. If you are fortunate enough to get paid for your services during overtime, then you definitely should and must serve the needs of the patients.

Being realistic, no one works for free. Honestly, I don't know of even a single physician or pharmacist who is going to work an additional hour with no compensation, no matter how altruistic or benelovent that person may be. I hope this clarifies things...once again, if you are getting paid for your overtime, have your own business and want your patients as well as the business itself to thrive, then by all means you should and will remain open for additional time. Otherwise, like one or two people who are current pharmacists have said, it is exploitation.

In terms of the calculus and the stereochem, I'm not so sure what the problem is with that. It was a genuine question I had in order to prepare well for pharmacy school. What is the problem with that? I have not mentioned a Pharm.D. being addressed as "doctor" in quite a while, and at this point, it is irrelevant. I don't understand why you are bringing any of this up. By the way, do you work in hospital pharmacy? I ask since you said your position is different from retail.

Although you were just trying to "clarify things," the above post clearly demonstrates that you just don't get it. And, seeing as you have not even started pharmacy school, you shouldn't get it, yet you keep posting as though you are a seasoned professional, and have some great understanding of how the world works. But then, you are also quick to turn around and play the naive card with your "genuine" questions as a rookie just preparing for pharmacy school. Which is it?

That's the thing about people calling themselves "doctor" even when they have not even started professional school yet. Don't let it get to your head. It is no big deal.

Your calculations and stereochem questions are perfectly legitimate questions to have at your stage of the game (and that's exactly my point). There's absolutely nothing wrong in having those questions, because you're genuinely excited and taking a proactive approach to starting pharmacy school (and that's the only reason I brought them up). What I was trying to convey to you however, is that if you're that early on in your career (i.e. haven't even started the curricula), it isn't exactly appropriate to question a seasoned pharmacist on what boils down to a decision that requires professional judgment.

Situations like having a late add-on script at the end of the night is a call only the pharmacist will/should make. It isn't clear cut...one of the thousands of decisions a RPh makes in a day where there aren't lab values or scientific evidence to back them up...they just have to professionally decide what the best thing to do is in that situation for the patient.

I do agree however (and think we should make clear), that it is definitely not the place of the retail conglomerate to expect their employees to stay longer than they are being paid for. That decision rests only on the pharmacist; on the rare occasion that it is a true emergency, they should be the one that decides whether it's necessary to stay over and fill the script.

Wish you the best of luck in pharmacy school; wait until you've had some of Dr. Finkel's classes...he's one of the best! ;)

And to answer your question: I'm a nuclear pharmacist.

I have to agree that many of the comments are very understanding. There are a lot of factors that would influence the "just before closing time filling of a prescrition". What the medication is, where it is coming from, and how easy it would be to get filled around your location are just a few. I think in the end it really just depends on the individual and the setting in which they are working. I happen to agree with "Oldtimer" in part. It is sad that any large chain pharmacy would put a pharmacist in a position where they had to work with no compensation just to remain professional and helpful. The reason you don't see these situations with physicians is that few other healthcare professionals have as easy access for the patients.
The worst lack of respect I can see in the situation is that pharamcy wants to put absolute rules on the human conditions. I would hope that a pharmacy would respect that a pharmacist may be required to stay a little late and that they should be compensated for their time. If they don't feel that way, then perhapse a sign should be posted that new prescriptions will not be accepted 15 min before closing time. As for the comparison to "burger flippers", have you ever tried ordering a burger 5 min before the breakfast menu is up, they will refuse to take the order. "It's company policy not to take orders from the lunch menu, until 11:00" Sometimes the good things have to be waited for:laugh:.
I do have a concern with a concept that I have been reading though. The idea that professionalism is learned though school or experience can not be 100% correct. Every person has seen someone with either a lot of experience or a great deal of school (or both) act in very unprofessional ways.
I also am not very comfortable with the idea that you can't have a difference of opinion with anyone who has more "experience" then yourself. If the ideas of those with experience were never challenged, change (good, bad, or otherwise) would be very difficult. My experience in one setting does not always qualify me to best answer a question in another, but I can always give my opinion:). Thank you to every person with experience for posting, I always enjoy hearing the alternative views on any subject. However, what is the "right way" and which are the "wrong ways" to deal with a situation are, as alwasy, a matter of personal opinion.

Your calculations and stereochem questions are perfectly legitimate questions to have at your stage of the game (and that's exactly my point). There's absolutely nothing wrong in having those questions, because you're genuinely excited and taking a proactive approach to starting pharmacy school (and that's the only reason I brought them up). What I was trying to convey to you however, is that if you're that early on in your career (i.e. haven't even started the curricula), it isn't exactly appropriate to question a seasoned pharmacist on what boils down to a decision that requires professional judgment.

Situations like having a late add-on script at the end of the night is a call only the pharmacist will/should make. It isn't clear cut...one of the thousands of decisions a RPh makes in a day where there aren't lab values or scientific evidence to back them up...they just have to professionally decide what the best thing to do is in that situation for the patient.

I do agree however (and think we should make clear), that it is definitely not the place of the retail conglomerate to expect their employees to stay longer than they are being paid for. That decision rests only on the pharmacist; on the rare occasion that it is a true emergency, they should be the one that decides whether it's necessary to stay over and fill the script.

Wish you the best of luck in pharmacy school; wait until you've had some of Dr. Finkel's classes...he's one of the best! ;)

And to answer your question: I'm a nuclear pharmacist.

That's quite interesting...I suppose you had to complete a residency or some additional type of training in order to specialize in nuclear pharmacy; am i correct? I'd like to do something beyond the traditional and infamous retail pharmacy setting...perhaps a hospital setting or a specialty. But we'll see.

If there's a 24hr pharmacy nearby, then they can go there. We shut the pharmacy down on the dot. If someone walks in late, they have to go elsewhere.

Once you start "spoiling" patients, they will keep coming past the last minute over and over again. This happened where I used to work.

Last edited:
If there's a 24hr pharmacy nearby, then they can go there. We shut the pharmacy down on the dot. If someone walks in late, they have to go elsewhere.

Once you start "spoiling" patients, they will keep coming past the last minute over and over again. This happened where I used to work.

Next batter up!!! Any more non-pharmacists who have no clue what it's like to be a RPh tell everyone how to practice? :smack:

It is unbelievable!

Hard to say; how many people who have strong opinions to be more specific actually practices in a retail setting besides oldtimer? I have been working in retail for 6 years and i can truly say. . . if you let people take advantage of you, they will. I stayed behind to help a new pharmacist finish up on a saturday night recently. I was fustrated because she kept on taking rx and stay passed an hour. To tell me that has anything to do with professionalism is bs. Filling even emergency meds (which I do) opens you up to attacks because the guy coming in after that last minute person when you closed would say you did his, why cant you do mines. Then you also have the people ringing up non pharmacy related stuff.

Staying late and taking in RX has nothing to do with being a professional. They can easily get it from the pharmacy down the block. I am assuming that by filling most of the scripts last minute, you cant even counsel them properly. No other professions have the same concept where they would stay late after their hours. Not accountants, not PTs, not physcians, not dentists, nobody.

You can also take it down a slipperly slope. What if they come in an hour late? What if they call you to go in because a pharmacist is out after you pull a week as overnight pharmacist and recouping from it? I ask because these are all too common in retail settings and not getting paid to fill last minute has more to do with filling company pockets than helping the patient. I can even argue that the best help to the patient is to teach him not to do it last minute.

No other professions have the same concept where they would stay late after their hours. Not accountants, not PTs, not physcians, not dentists, nobody.

That's not necessarily true. Maybe I've just been really lucky and found both the right MD and the right vet, but both of them will go outside their regular hours if necessary.

My doctor was treating me for a staph infection. On a Friday he told me if it gets worse over the weekend to call his office. I said that all he would do is send me to the ER. He said, "no, I'll meet you right back here." And he meant it, even if it had been at 2am on a Saturday night. Of course, he is in his late 70's or early 80's and is from a different generation of MDs.

I once called my vet's office at 5 minutes before closing with an emergency with my dog. They stayed open for me to get there and treated my dog. My vet's recording after hours gives her or her partners cell phone so current clients can call if necessary. I have talked to her several times outside of her office hours.

But again, maybe I just got lucky and found the right MD and the right vet.

Why is this such a big issue? It is simple, really. 10 minutes before you close, start to close down but still open the cash register window. If a patient comes for pick up, that's fine. If it is truely an emergency, then you can fill it but close down the pharmacy when the time is up. If it is not, then just give them the direction to the closest 24 hr pharmacy and send them on their way.

If is not an emergency, just don't fill it. Some people are just procrastinators. That's their problem. Why should you have to stay late because someone doesn't have the courtesy or the common sense to take care of himself?

No other professions have the same concept where they would stay late after their hours. Not accountants, not PTs, not physcians, not dentists, nobody.

I dont know if you have been living under the rock but there are plenty of people who stay late including many physicians and pharmacists I know. Of course, nobody wants to stay late but there are exceptions and you should be ready to make those exceptions.

You can also take it down a slipperly slope. What if they come in an hour late?

Oh yes, staying late leads down the path to camping out and sleeping in the pharmacy. If you don't leave on time, the alarm will go off, the red light will flash, and the steel door will come down, trapping you inside the pharmacy (until the next shift).

Last edited:
I've noticed a trend in this thread. It's kinda scary actually. Most of the individuals who say they'd close on time no matter what are either Pre-Pharmacy, or Pharmacy Students. (Let's hope their attitude changes) The individuals who state how professional it is to stay until the job is done are veteran Pharmacists.

The current attitude of students today seem to be more a "What's in it for me" type of attitude rather than acting and being professional. You kids need to stop being so damn selfish. I'm just starting Pharmacy School in the Fall. However, I have worked as a professional before and I have stayed after hours until my work was completed. It's like Nike, you just do it.

You kids need to listen to the "Old Timers".

It's one thing to be professional by staying overtime IF YOU ARE GETTING PAID. Why should I or anyone else here work an hour or longer without compensation? The individuals on this thread, such as oldtimer and others, who believe in professionalism and staying overtime are more than likely getting paid for their work. I doubt any of them are staying an hour or two past hours without receiving their compensation accordingly. Why is it selfish to think about yourself? You studied 6-8 years to become a pharmacist and deserve every single penny for every hour you are practicing, especially during overtime shifts. If you don't think about yourself, the patients and no one else may think about you.

So, like BMBiology said, it's a simple matter. Getting paid overtime? Carry out your duties to the fullest extent of your abilities and don't complain. Not getting paid overtime, time to go. I don't care what anyone says, but even those physicians and pharmacists who go beyond their means to help their patients get paid for their services. I do not know of any health care professional who, in an act of altruism and benevolence, will sacrifice payment for knowledge and services rendered.

Hell, the FIRST thing you're asked when you go to a hospital during an emergency is, "DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE?" I personally know of one individual who was inflicted with dog bites on her arms and was asked that very question. She was not asked courteously, "Ma'am, how are you feeling? What happened....We'll be right with you..." Speak about professionalism. Why? Because no matter what happens, what emergency, what condition, HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS, in this case, physicians, have to get paid somehow no matter how great they are as people.

And by the way, if any of you guys do not like to read my opinion or think it's pathetic or downright disagree with it, at least express your disagreement in a polite manner, please. Just because some of us are not pharmacy students does not mean we can't have our opinions. Please respect that.

If you are of the type who will willingly work overtime for free while carrying a great, pearly white smile on your face, then great. But just because some people on this thread do not wish to work and add to a company's wealth without getting compensated does not mean we are not professional.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Next batter up!!! Any more non-pharmacists who have no clue what it's like to be a RPh tell everyone how to practice?
I will not stay 30 minutes after my shift on a Sunday while working for a chain pharmacy again... in my life. Period.

How do I know if you're a RPh? You could be a pharmacist from another country or an impostor. :rolleyes:

If you want to quote someone, make a decent point, or argument, before trying to throw your "weight" around. :rolleyes:

The current attitude of students today seem to be more a "What's in it for me" type of attitude rather than acting and being professional. You kids need to stop being so damn selfish. I'm just starting Pharmacy School in the Fall. However, I have worked as a professional before and I have stayed after hours until my work was completed. It's like Nike, you just do it.

You kids need to listen to the "Old Timers".
How long have you worked in a pharmacy? 0 How long have you been in pharmacy school? 0

Thank you.

My generation is just lazy. Nobody knows how to work anymore...thank you xbox, playstation and nintendo.

Start closing the pharmacy early and have all the drawers but one pulled.

People think they aren't getting paid for working after a certain time. Stop being curteous and stop being understanding and the people stop coming and you lose your job.

Here is an idea. Invest in your company. Most big chains give a reasonable discount to buy stock. Just think of the extra business you are getting and how well you are helping the company and your stock.

But seriously, suck it up and work. I'm tired of new pharmacists who think they are too good to run a register or count pills.

i play a different card. I work at 24h store. Its weird that there is always a pharmacist there. But as such, even though there is pharmacist relieving, it is never uncommon for one to go over into the others time to help clean up, rectify problems, etc. It brings up an interesting point because, you don't have to stay for an altruistic reason for the patient, you stay for your comrades in the trenches. And trust me, both the night and the day reciprocate in something like a cycle.

and maybe thats a view people should consider, if not for your patients, how bout your coworkers?

So while you dont have to stay 1 hour over, you can stay 10 minutes, help clean up and make it easier for the next person. Business is business, you want people cursing at you the next day because your partner couldn't have taken a little extra time to help out. To me, I'd rather stay 10 minutes later to deal with one less irate patient. Thats what I'd work, consider it a payment.

my views are not altruistic in any shape or form, i am pretty far from being that way, but i do see value in staying those few minutes.

But as it is, i know that everyone practices differently, we all have our own views and opinions about what should and shouldn't be done. What works for one, does not necessarily work for another. Along with upholding the idea of professionalism that this job requires, is the art that goes into it. And that belongs to the practitioner to decide what he values in a profession. While one person may close on the dot, they might provide more service in another realm of practice that someone who stays late may give.

thats my 2 cents

My generation is just lazy. Nobody knows how to work anymore...thank you xbox, playstation and nintendo.

Start closing the pharmacy early and have all the drawers but one pulled.

People think they aren't getting paid for working after a certain time. Stop being curteous and stop being understanding and the people stop coming and you lose your job.

Here is an idea. Invest in your company. Most big chains give a reasonable discount to buy stock. Just think of the extra business you are getting and how well you are helping the company and your stock.

But seriously, suck it up and work. I'm tired of new pharmacists who think they are too good to run a register or count pills.

I dont know what kind of professional were you (if it is even recognized by the state as one). I am not even going to ask for your credential as it does not matter. However believe it or not, pharmacists are too good for ringing up "cosmetics" if there are no prescriptions involve. I am sure even old timer can agree with me on this. Get real, you wouldnt expect investors to be happy to find out the CEO of a company being paid the salary they do for janitorial work, must less than the company finding out that they are paying a cashier 60 an hour.

BMBiology, I hope you would refrain from personal attacks such as living under a rock. That isnt very professional itself. . . I already made my points (and basically you are telling me to do what I already said I would do??? make sense???), I make exceptions based on circumstances but for the most part, would tell them to come back tomorrow or go to the 24 hour pharmacy. Also, yes. You are lucky to have such caring doctors. However dont mistaken the point between personal liability and danger to your health to stuff that can wait until the next day, with the customer knowing the time frame for that pharmacy closing. Also dont forget that they get paid to treat you or your pet which is different from us not getting paid to fill a procrastinator's medicine.

IN THE END, this isnt about professionalism in helping fill out an emergency med (which honestly in most cases. . . is really subjective and can argued about way). All of us are willing to do that and nobody is arguing it. However dont miscommunicate any of us in translating not filling for meds that can wait and repeat procrastinators to emergency meds. thanks.

This is one that that pisses me off to no end. People coming up to ask me if there are bathrooms or if I can ring up their personal goods without prescription. As much as I believe in customer service at CVS. . . the sign clearly says pickup and the front says cashier. Our register is all the way at the end with nobody manning it, but yet people line up to pay for stuff there. Yet at photo, you have 2-3 people chatting but nobody ever lines up in front of that. Do photo technicians have more respect than what we are doing back there?

The bathroom thing annoys me because most cvs bathrooms are for employees only and hence why they got locks. Yet most cvs that I go to, they send the customer back to the pharmacy to ask for the code. The code can be hard for some people too so I have to get out and open it for them. Plain annoying.

i play a different card. I work at 24h store. Its weird that there is always a pharmacist there. But as such, even though there is pharmacist relieving, it is never uncommon for one to go over into the others time to help clean up, rectify problems, etc. It brings up an interesting point because, you don't have to stay for an altruistic reason for the patient, you stay for your comrades in the trenches. And trust me, both the night and the day reciprocate in something like a cycle.

and maybe thats a view people should consider, if not for your patients, how bout your coworkers?

So while you dont have to stay 1 hour over, you can stay 10 minutes, help clean up and make it easier for the next person. Business is business, you want people cursing at you the next day because your partner couldn't have taken a little extra time to help out. To me, I'd rather stay 10 minutes later to deal with one less irate patient. Thats what I'd work, consider it a payment.

my views are not altruistic in any shape or form, i am pretty far from being that way, but i do see value in staying those few minutes.

But as it is, i know that everyone practices differently, we all have our own views and opinions about what should and shouldn't be done. What works for one, does not necessarily work for another. Along with upholding the idea of professionalism that this job requires, is the art that goes into it. And that belongs to the practitioner to decide what he values in a profession. While one person may close on the dot, they might provide more service in another realm of practice that someone who stays late may give.

thats my 2 cents
I stay over when they need help (while the pharmacy is open). I don't leave my coworkers stranded. If I have to leave, then it's for a good reason like going to class.

Services: We deliver to two facilities, go out of the pharmacy to assist customers with OTC products face-to-face, and do 15 minute waits whenever possible.

people will treat retail pharmacies as burger joints because that's what they look like: i.e. drive through windows, 10 min wait to pick up order, etc.

There is no wrong or right answer here.

The question is what is a "professional"? It certainly is not retail pharmacy in its current state.

There is no doubt in my mind that 99.99% of individual RPh's are professional and hold the needs of the patient first. The problem occurs when corporations take these ideals and manipulate them.

In my OPINION, retail pharmacy has lost its professionalism because it has become nothing more than a consumer commodity. We, as a profession, deserve a little blame for allowing ourselves to become this way. We say "ok" to drive-thru windows and no lunch/dinner breaks. Do other professionals (private practice MD/DO's and DDS/DMD's) act this way? No, not really. Do we fight back? No, not really. We're held down by the "golden handcuffs". And that's the way they want it to be.

If we keep giving our profession away to corporate business interests, we're in trouble.

How long have you worked in a pharmacy? 0 How long have you been in pharmacy school? 0

Thank you.

What makes you so sure that I haven't worked in a pharmacy? You don't know me or where I've been working while taking pre-reqs.

And besides, whether I have or not doesn't matter re: the topic of this thread.

You sir/madam need to get a fcking clue. Care to buy a vowel?

I see both sides of the general argument here. Personally, I don't want to give anything extra to a company that doesn't care about me, but I care about helping people, so it is a situation-by-situation basis. If the pharmacist chooses to stay and help, then as a tech I stay as well out of respect for the pharmacist. I'm not a pharmacist so I don't know how I'll feel when my time is that valuable.
But how can you make a defense for professionalism with the above quote? Your post was probably attacked because you were being condescending with the whole "you kids" attitude.

What makes you so sure that I haven't worked in a pharmacy? You don't know me or where I've been working while taking pre-reqs.

And besides, whether I have or not doesn't matter re: the topic of this thread.

No. I will report your post though.

If your complaining about staying open 15 minutes or even a half an hour longer than scheduled then you really need to get a work ethic.

We are paid over 50 dollars an hour and your complaining why? If your working 40 or 44 hours a week 15 or 30 minutes shouldn't bother you the least, unless your lazy. Hopefully you went into the profession because you want to be a health care professional not a time clock puncher. I get satisfaction out of helping someone in need even if it is getting their HCTZ right before we close. They probably aren't that thankful but sometimes they are and that is rewarding. Even if it isn't rewarding it doesn't suck that bad.

I remember when I was paid 45,000 a year for my programming job. I was required to work until I finished my project or met a dead line. That almost always required working more than 40 hours a week. And if a dead line was approaching sometimes 60 or more hours, alot of times late at night at home(just like homework or studying). I never got paid over time. You peoples that turn people away at 9:59 pm really need to think about how your job could be much worse. At least we don't have to take our work home.

As much as retail pharmacy sucks sometimes or mostimes, it never sucks more than working your ass off(tons of hours) and always getting the same pay each week(no overtime). At least in retail if you decide to come in on your weekend off you get compensated for it... many people have too and don't get compensated for it. Think Office Space. THat was pretty much my job.
The ones complaining are probably the ones that never worked a day in their life until they graduated and mommy and daddy paid for most everything.

I am sorry but I've had to pretty much worked non stop since I was able too and 15 minutes extra(uncompensated) when I am getting over 50 dollars an hour really doesn't bother me at all. I've stayed an hour later(after I closed the pharmacy) when we were short handed several times just so I wouldn't leave a mess for my partner.

In this economy you should be thankful you have a highly compensated job, and not bitching about working an extra 15 minutes for free.

If your complaining about staying open 15 minutes or even a half an hour longer than scheduled then you really need to get a work ethic.

We are paid over 50 dollars an hour and your complaining why? If your working 40 or 44 hours a week 15 or 30 minutes shouldn't bother you the least, unless your lazy. Hopefully you went into the profession because you want to be a health care professional not a time clock puncher. I get satisfaction out of helping someone in need even if it is getting their HCTZ right before we close. They probably aren't that thankful but sometimes they are and that is rewarding. Even if it isn't rewarding it doesn't suck that bad.

I remember when I was paid 45,000 a year for my programming job. I was required to work until I finished my project or met a dead line. That almost always required working more than 40 hours a week. And if a dead line was approaching sometimes 60 or more hours, alot of times late at night at home(just like homework or studying). I never got paid over time. You peoples that turn people away at 9:59 pm really need to think about how your job could be much worse. At least we don't have to take our work home.

As much as retail pharmacy sucks sometimes or mostimes, it never sucks more than working your ass off(tons of hours) and always getting the same pay each week(no overtime). At least in retail if you decide to come in on your weekend off you get compensated for it... many people have too and don't get compensated for it. Think Office Space. THat was pretty much my job.
The ones complaining are probably the ones that never worked a day in their life until they graduated and mommy and daddy paid for most everything.

I am sorry but I've had to pretty much worked non stop since I was able too and 15 minutes extra(uncompensated) when I am getting over 50 dollars an hour really doesn't bother me at all. I've stayed an hour later(after I closed the pharmacy) when we were short handed several times just so I wouldn't leave a mess for my partner.

In this economy you should be thankful you have a highly compensated job, and not bitching about working an extra 15 minutes for free.
Staying late to help the pharmacist, while the pharmacy is closed, is fine. I've done that before. Staying late to wait on customers who have procrastinated an entire day, no.

Does anyone read the pharmacy hours that are posted on the door before they come in? I would hope so. If not, they're in for a disappoint when the pharmacy is closed as advertised.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with work ethic... :confused:

Had someone pull this crap on me today(holiday--why am I surprised?), only the pt. calls on the phone first:

pt: What time do you close?
me: 5 pm.
pt: My MD's calling in a prescription (non emergency med) right now (mind you, it's 4:58 PM and MD has not called anything in yet)
me: If you can get here BEFORE 5 pm, you can pick it up.
pt: It's before 5 pm now, can't you just wait for me? (Oh, so you're letting me know that you intend to come after closing for p/u)
me: I'm sorry, but we close at 5 pm. I can give you the number of pharmacy X up the street. Your MD can call it in there---it's a 24 hour store (literally 2500 feet away from my store). I'll even call them ahead and give them your insurance info. (and the rx, if he calls in after 5 PM)
pt: I don't want to bother my doctor. Hangs up w/o me getting his phone number from him...

Ending? While dipsh*t is arguing on the phone, MD leaves rx on voicemail along with his cellphone. I call MD back, tell him that I will call rx into pharmacy X up the street and to please call back pt to let him know rx will be available there. Late going home again.

People can be such demanding *******s, sometimes.

Gee, does that make me a burger-flipper? I think not.

Last edited:
Had someone pull this crap on me today(holiday--why am I surprised?), only the pt. calls on the phone first:

pt: What time do you close?
me: 5 pm.
pt: My MD's calling in a prescription (non emergency med) right now (mind you, it's 4:58 PM and MD has not called anything in yet)
me: If you can get here BEFORE 5 pm, you can pick it up.
pt: It's before 5 pm now, can't you just wait for me? (Oh, so you're letting me know that you intend to come after closing for p/u)
me: I'm sorry, but we close at 5 pm. I can give you the number of pharmacy X up the street. Your MD can call it in there---it's a 24 hour store (literally 2500 feet away from my store). I'll even call them ahead and give them your insurance info. (and the rx, if he calls in after 5 PM)
pt: I don't want to bother my doctor. Hangs up w/o me getting his phone number from him...

Ending? While dipsh*t is arguing on the phone, MD leaves rx on voicemail along with his cellphone. I call MD back, tell him that I will call rx into pharmacy X up the street and to please call back pt to let him know rx will be available there. Late going home again.

People can be such demanding *******s, sometimes.

Gee, does that make me a burger-flipper? I think not.

PERFECT scenario of people that I have dealt with in the last few years.

PERFECT scenario of people that I have dealt with in the last few years.

But loo handled it perfectly unless he was rude or condescending on the phone. He apologized for being unable to fill the prescription. Saw to it the the prescription was ready at another store, gave the store the insurance information so the patient would be minimally inconvenienced, if it all.

Professional means you give the patient the service/treatment they need not the service/treatment they want.

Since the store the patient was sent to was 2500 feet away and not 25 miles away, he did exactly the right thing.

But loo handled it perfectly unless he was rude or condescending on the phone. He apologized for being unable to fill the prescription. Saw to it the the prescription was ready at another store, gave the store the insurance information so the patient would be minimally inconvenienced, if it all.

Professional means you give the patient the service/treatment they need not the service/treatment they want.

Since the store the patient was sent to was 2500 feet away and not 25 miles away, he did exactly the right thing.

I give all of my patients the best of my service/treatment and knowledge. However like i said, I am in NYC. These patients dont even need us to send them there as when they call in, the system tells them where is the nearest 24 hour pharmacy. That and there is one to two pharmacies on every block.