How do you deal with disgruntled patients ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PocketRocket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Especially when the doctor gets stuck on something like a RCT and the patient is waiting 20+ minutes for their appt. I try my best to explain to them that the doctor is working on a difficult case and that he/she doesn't want to do a lousy job but their mentality seems to be "I have made my appt for XX so I should be seen at XX no matter what" and there doesn't appear to be a way to reason with them. I offer them the option to reschedule but they get even more upset.
Discuss please :)

Members don't see this ad.

Some people are always unhappy no matter the cause, just be polite but don't be too accommodating. Dental appointments are given expecting things to go a certain way and if some difficulties are encountered patient should understand.
I worked for a guy, who was always late. He was late in the morning for half an hour and by the end of the day he was late at least 1.5hours. This was happening on most of the days. I felt sorry for our receptionist

After getting chewed at by a patient, I go to my own room and look at a picture of my wife :cool:. Repeat every time this happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After getting chewed at by a patient, I go to my own room and look at a picture of my wife :cool:. Repeat every time this happens.
Bad idea. Soon, looking at your wife, you will think of this patient. Every time. Unless this is your goal

I think a punching bag would be a good thing to have in the office

I'm not sure the patient is the problem in this scenario. If the Doc is on time it's not a problem is it.
How about this...
1. Seat the patient on time in chair #2.
2. Doc leaves the endo, in chair #1, for 5 minute to greet patient and place anesthetic.
3. Doc returns to chair #1 and finishes endo. in a timely manor
4. Then hustle over to chair #2 and complete treatment.

Its not just dentistry, healthcare as a whole.
I'm not married so that wouldn't work haha
@Saddleshoes, what you're saying is exactly what the dentists I work for are doing its just sometimes complications arise, people come in with emergencies so we have to squeeze them in the schedule, one time a patient fainted and even though the people in the waiting room saw the EMTs take the patient they insisted that it was ridiculous that they are waiting this long.

Worst part of dentistry :l

worst part of healthcare period.

Almost got my jaw broken when a disgruntled patient took a jab at me when I use to work as an EMT. The f#ck? I was doing my job.

You simply reschedule the RCT pt for another appt, cause not all RCT can be done in one visit. Everyone happy.

Almost got my jaw broken when a disgruntled patient took a jab at me when I use to work as an EMT. The f#ck? I was doing my job.
And because they don't know as much as you do, they make judgement based on limited judgement. I've seen a disgruntled patient during shadowing, it was scary

Though not gonna lie it can get quite amusing when you hear them talk about tooth paste that reverses cavities during their next visit.

Not sure if sarcastic or not. But there is toothpaste that can reverse incipient lesions... I prescribe it multiple times a week.
Yea, but cavity for them is a huge hole, where dinner gets lost, not a white spot

I can deal with most patients as long as they have money, except maybe crazy pedo or this guy who punches you in the face LOL. My professor said 10% of your patients will cause you 90% of the trouble, it's important to identify them early. You can never satisfy those 10%, better off refer them.