How do you deal with losing motivation ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorCheesy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been just feeling a little down with the start of the semester and I'm sure everyone has experienced burn out and lack of motivation before. I'm just curious how do you cope with it or just feel better in general? I normally try to work out and talk to my wife.

Members don't see this ad.

I try to give myself a break, do things like read a fun book, eat healthy food, and like you said, work out consistently. If it gets really bad you might have to cut back on one of the things contributing to it, or it might cost you more in the long run.

Last fall hit me pretty bad. I was working full-time on nights, commuting 2 hrs one way for grad school, volunteering, taking a pretty hefty course load, along with other stuff. I'd been on nights for 5 years and despite being a night owl, it seemed to be the biggest problem. I started looking for a different position even though it meant I'd have to slow down on the school side. I wound up getting a promotion and moved to days. I had to cut back on school spring semester, but I feel like a whole new person compared to last fall and I'm doing well across the board now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give yourself a break day each week where you don't do any studying (unless you have a bunch of midterms coming up!). Exercise and going out with friends seem to do the trick for me.

Also, the trick with giving yourself a true break is to not let yourself be guilty about it. Ie don't corrupt your break by feeling guilty about all the productive stuff you should be doing instead. That can be tricky for some.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful responses. Going back to school is an adjustment for me since I'm a non trad and just seems like things pile up but it's still early and I can change things around. Thanks again.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful responses. Going back to school is an adjustment for me since I'm a non trad and just seems like things pile up but it's still early and I can change things around. Thanks again.

I find that by staying on top of the work and doing a couple little things each day (going over the day's lecture notes, reading on tomorrow's material, finishing problem sets as they are assigned, etc.), things become very manageable and stress and burn out stay low.

I've been just feeling a little down with the start of the semester and I'm sure everyone has experienced burn out and lack of motivation before. I'm just curious how do you cope with it or just feel better in general? I normally try to work out and talk to my wife.
I take a nap. For me, lack of motivation to work is just brain fatigue.