how do you find a room for 2 or 4 weeks only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
when doing rotations away from your core site?

and is there some sort of legal agreement we should put in place first?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, ask the coordinator at the away site. Sometimes residents rent out a spare room to visiting students to make a bit of extra money (that's what I'm doing for an out-of-state away next year).

Reactions: 2 users
Subletting is a very commom practice. Traditional means of finding such an arrangement include craigslist and extended social circle

Reactions: 1 user
I have been moving around almost every month for third year and AirBNB has worked out well except for one place which I had to find at the last minute. For the best rates, search for places which have a monthly discount - sometimes this means searching for a room for 30 days even if you're only in town for 26 days.
AirBNB works if you just plan things out and search a couple of months in advance.

Last edited:
Also, ask the coordinator at the away site. Sometimes residents rent out a spare room to visiting students to make a bit of extra money (that's what I'm doing for an out-of-state away next year).

This is a great suggestion and I totally spaced about it on my initial post. Ask about places to stay for both auditions and interviews. I've gotten to stay with residents (for free!) as well as host applicants and I think you can get a lot out of the arrangement (beyond just a place to stay).

be careful about rooming with residents especially if you are rooming with residents in the specialty you are rotating in. you may feel like your audition continues even when you leave the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
How much are you guys looking at paying for a place to stay for a 2 wk/4 wk rotation?
What about car rentals? If I flew out to FL, I'm gonna need a car to get to my place and the hospital. You guys know around how much that runs?

A car can be rented for $35-40/day. However, if you get the weekly discount, you can get it for $25-30/day. This was the quoted rate for me this past December when I went to Disneyworld. I actually rented a SUV for about $45-50/day for an entire week.

A car can be rented for $35-40/day. However, if you get the weekly discount, you can get it for $25-30/day. This was the quoted rate for me this past December when I went to Disneyworld. I actually rented a SUV for about $45-50/day for an entire week.

Ouch. Thats 400+ just for car rental.

Ouch. Thats 400+ just for car rental.

Yeah, look for deals and shop around. If all you need is simple transportation, you should be able to find something for <$20/day. $12-$15/day is more like it. Sounds like that poster went at a busy vacation time (Dec) most likely to an area where the rental cars were in demand (Orlando/Disney).

Yeah, look for deals and shop around. If all you need is simple transportation, you should be able to find something for <$20/day. $12-$15/day is more like it. Sounds like that poster went at a busy vacation time (Dec) most likely to an area where the rental cars were in demand (Orlando/Disney).

I doubt that you can get a car for $12-15/day after tax and other fees. The price I got was a special rate for being an American Express Platinum cardholder. If you can find a car rental for less than $20/day with tax and fees, please let me know.

I doubt that you can get a car for $12-15/day after tax and other fees. The price I got was a special rate for being an American Express Platinum cardholder. If you can find a car rental for less than $20/day with tax and fees, please let me know.

I have gotten those prices on multiple occasions before. I've never rented in Orlando during a high travel season though. Usually, you can get an Accent or something similar for that price.

EDIT: Just checked priceline. You can get one right now for the week of May 9th to May 16th in MCO for $105 including taxes and fees ($60/wk price).

Also to clarify, I don't usually buy collision insurance, because both my own car insurance and my credit card covers rentals including loss of inventory fees to a point. Of you do, that'll add $10/day or more. I also rarely have to pay for a 2nd driver (some states require companies to offer free 2nd drivers for free).

I have gotten those prices on multiple occasions before. I've never rented in Orlando during a high travel season though. Usually, you can get an Accent or something similar for that price.

EDIT: Just checked priceline. You can get one right now for the week of May 9th to May 16th in MCO for $105 including taxes and fees ($60/wk price).

Also to clarify, I don't usually buy collision insurance, because both my own car insurance and my credit card covers rentals including loss of inventory fees to a point. Of you do, that'll add $10/day or more. I also rarely have to pay for a 2nd driver (some states require companies to offer free 2nd drivers for free).

Thanks. I never rent from Economy before.

So back to housing, rotatingroom.com seems to require you to put in the name of a medical school. What if Im trying to find a place for an audition at a community program with no affiliated school?

So back to housing, rotatingroom.com seems to require you to put in the name of a medical school. What if Im trying to find a place for an audition at a community program with no affiliated school?

I can't seem to figure this out either...thought I was just doing somethign wrong

I located churches via the internet, contacted the pastors and asked if any members in their congregation would be willing to host a student. This worked well for me, had my own room, key, privacy, homecooked meals, and met some really awesome people. Paid $100 per week, one family wouldn't let me pay anything, and another family had a whole furnished guesthouse they let me stay in for 2 months for $200!

So, if you have a religious background or another type of affiliation with a group/denomination this is one way to go!

Reactions: 2 users
I located churches via the internet, contacted the pastors and asked if any members in their congregation would be willing to host a student. This worked well for me, had my own room, key, privacy, homecooked meals, and met some really awesome people. Paid $100 per week, one family wouldn't let me pay anything, and another family had a whole furnished guesthouse they let me stay in for 2 months for $200!

So, if you have a religious background or another type of affiliation with a group/denomination this is one way to go!

This is a brilliant idea.

Even if you aren't deeply religious, there are some church groups that would likely be delighted to help. Unitarians come to mind. And many Episcopal congregations that I've encountered.

There are also a lot of hotels/motels that will rent by the week. Some of them are shadier than others, and you won't be staying at the Marriott for $100/wk. But privately owned (non-chain) motels are often happier to make some money, even less than their usual rates, than to leave a room open. I've seen advertised rates from $60/wk for a roadside motel up to $220/wk for a suite at a corporate extended stay hotel. Check priceline's name your own price feature. I've successfully bid as low as $30/night for a 4 star hotel room for a week, or as low as $20 for 2 stars. Start checking long before you need the room. If you bid too low, at least you get a sense of what is possible for an area and can adjust your future bids accordingly.