How do you find motivation to start applying at age 30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cargo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ...

I was wondering if I could ask any non-trads who started med school in their 30s how they stay motivated about applying to med school, especially when they have "too much education" already (PhD in Public Health).

I am planning to take the MCATs early next year at age 30 and, if successful, enroll at age 31. But I am having this odd crises of feeling like, at age 30, I should already have been "done" by now. I floated the idea with friends and family, and they were 100% against it. A sister who is a doctor was almost violently angry at my even considering it; I was shaken.

However I feel like, without clinical knowledge, I only half know what I'm doing, and I cannot contribute as much as my colleagues, who can both provide obstetric surgeries on our medical missions and conduct clinical research with far more confidence, and of far higher depth & quality. (I currently work for an international foundation providing maternal health services in developing countries; before that, I was a research associate at a hospital.)

Essentially, I feel like medicine will make my qualifications for my career complete.

Many non-MD PhD students in my department felt the same frustrating lack of scientific knowledge in our major, reading all these studies containing obstetric terms & conditions that we didn't really know anything about. We pressured our professors for more science courses. A 2.9 uGPA Bio major, I avoided sciences during my MPH. However, as a PhD student, I took 3 hardcore science courses, feeling like I had to in order to understand what I was doing. But while I had access to general courses like Anatomy & Physiology, I didn't have any access to things like Obstetrics. I'm reading a reproductive biology textbook on my own right now, and each new chapter is like "oh so that's what that is".

What's more, I was so much better at the few hard sciences I took as a PhD student... well, 3 B+s in graduate-level biology classes, anyway, while my undergraduate sGPA was under 3.0. I feel like if I apply myself, and take undergraduate science courses, I can pull my undergraduate sGPA up (I totally regret not taking the three courses I took in grad school at an undergraduate level, but I didn't think, at the time, that I would do well at them, given my history).

But... I feel oddly rotten about being so old. I worked full-time for 2 years after my Master's, then so far for 1 year after my PhD, so it feels like I've never been out of school for very long, yet here I am thinking of going back again. I would probably have felt better if all 3 years of full-time work experience -- or four, by the time I apply -- would have "looked" better than 2 years here and 2 years there.

The funny thing is, when a 30-year old with a PhD in public health decides to pursue medicine, they are excoriated like I was by my family -- yet 3 out of 7 PhD students in my department were doctors in their 30s, well older than the rest of us. Less severe, because they are pursuing only 1- or 2-year MPH programs, are the sister who chewed my head off for bringing up the possibility of med school decided to pursue an MPH at 31 because she decided she no longer liked her job; and a cousin who pursued an MPH at age 32 and now works in the same office as I do. But... they both chewed my head off for wanting to be a physician, and they're not even treating people anymore.

How do people who applied to med school in their 30s feel? If they made it, how comfortable did they feel during the experience? If any of you have already done it in your 30s and graduated, did you feel like you put off life for way too long? I know one thing that my sister and cousin brought up ... they accused me of lengthening the time I would spend financially dependent & not self sufficient, but I have tens of thousands of dollars put away because I have a good full-time job & no dependents.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you substitute "chewed my head off" with "they weren't happy with their own choices and projected that misery onto me", then I get it. "Chewed my head off" sounds like some mighty thin skin to me. You're the only one who gets to vote on whether you do this or not.

So if avoiding criticism is more important to you than pursuing a medical degree, then don't pursue medicine. Otherwise, go for it, and you'll be nowhere near the oldest in your class. Nowhere near.

From a 2.9 undergrad GPA, you'll need more than a few science classes and the MCAT to get into med school. Neither a PhD in public health nor a few grad bio classes have an impact on the stats that med schools use to evaluate applicants. Average cumulative or science undergrad GPA for successful med school applicants is 3.6+, and average MCAT is 31+. You get no senior discount. Look into SMPs.

More to the point, you'll want to do at least another partial lap of the prereqs before you start MCAT prep.

If your public health studies haven't included 100+ hours of exposure to physicians and other health professionals actively working on patients, where you get up close and personal with fluids and smells and effluvium, that's mandatory through clinical work and/or volunteering.

Best of luck to you.

Not that it's much better, but I should mention it was a 2.9 science gpa and a 3.3 overall.

Because I was already a bio major undergrad, I figured I wouldn't qualify for many post-baccs, inquired + made arrangements to take two science courses at the local university in the fall. The plan is to take have taken 4 undergraduate science courses by the time I apply.

Yeah the GPA thing and being 30 years old poses its own magnificent hurdle. But, I first joined this site as a PhD student who, having finally found some meaning & success in science courses, began having thoughts of med school, but decided I was too old and my GPA too terrible. But now it's like 3 years later and I'm even older, and I feel like something needs to be done about this, whether or not it's trying and failing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a PhD-to-MD, and there are several others as well. Take a look through the FAQs sticky at the top of this forum. Besides the fact that it will gratify my ego to know that someone is using a resource that it has taken me several years to amass, you will find many threads that address the same questions you are asking.

I am a non-trad who already has a M.S., will have a clinical doctorate in another field, and I plan on applying to medical school between ages 29-32(currently 26y.o.). It has been said that, "we must be careful who we let rent space in our heads." So whether it be family, friends or joe schmo; if medicine is where you belong then GO for it.

So if you apply and get accepted on the first go round, you will hopefully be a practicing physicians by the age of 38-45; thus theoretically you still would be able to contribute AT LEAST 20+ years to the field!

But... I feel oddly rotten about being so old. I worked full-time for 2 years after my Master's, then so far for 1 year after my PhD, so it feels like I've never been out of school for very long, yet here I am thinking of going back again. I would probably have felt better if all 3 years of full-time work experience -- or four, by the time I apply -- would have "looked" better than 2 years here and 2 years there.

LOL @ 30 being "so old". I'm 38 and have three years left before my earliest possible matriculation date (three years being when my youngest will have graduated high school). I'm far from the oldest on this path, as well. In fact, 30 is still pretty young in the non-trad world, even with a couple/few years of GPA repair left to do. Honestly, with a 2.9 sGPA, age is the absolute least of your concerns at this stage.

I'm a little younger (4 months shy of my 30th birthday) but what motivates me is realizing that time will pass whether I do something about it or not. Birthday's will come and pass and you have to choose if you want to be the current person you are, or take a different path and develop the career you want. This thought alone makes me ignore my age and keep pushing forward.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm coming from a non-medical background, and two years ago when I became interested in medicine, I also felt that maybe it was too late for me... a feeling like "Why restart? You've gone so far already."

What sealed my confidence in working towards medical school was this simple realization...

On my planned path, I'll be a doctor at age 38. On my current non-med path I'll be miserable at 38.

So either way, you will hit that age milestone. Why not be doing something you love?

i'm coming from a non-medical background, and two years ago when i became interested in medicine, i also felt that maybe it was too late for me... A feeling like "why restart? You've gone so far already."

what sealed my confidence in working towards medical school was this simple realization...

On my planned path, i'll be a doctor at age 38. On my current non-med path i'll be miserable at 38.

So either way, you will hit that age milestone. Why not be doing something you love?
+1

i'm a little younger (4 months shy of my 30th birthday) but what motivates me is realizing that time will pass whether i do something about it or not. Birthday's will come and pass and you have to choose if you want to be the current person you are, or take a different path and develop the career you want. This thought alone makes me ignore my age and keep pushing forward.
+1

Yeah the GPA thing and being 30 years old poses its own magnificent hurdle.

The GPA is a hurdle. Being 30 years old is NOT.

I'm two days short of turning 41 and I start medical school in three weeks. You need to decide what you will regret more -- having gone at such a late age or not having gone at all. Picture yourself at 83 years old looking back at your life. If you're like me, you'll see yourself saying, "Damn! I was only 30. I can't believe I didn't go for it."

I matriculated at 32. Always wanted to be a doctor before that but GPA, marriage, babies, illness, homelessness,death of parents and just life got in the way before that.

I was sick of living paycheck to paycheck. Sick of not ever getting ahead. Wanted a better life for my kids. Wanted a secure profession with a guaranteed job forever.

I finished residency at 40. I don't have to worry about money. I have a secure future. I travel as a locum physician. I see the country for free.

I love what I do every day and and grateful for the opportunity to make a difference, have a secure existance, and provide for my family.

Last edited:
What sealed my confidence in working towards medical school was this simple realization...

On my planned path, I'll be a doctor at age 38. On my current non-med path I'll be miserable at 38.

I feel similarly, ArchMed. I started med school last year at age 40. Recently, I was at an appointment with my personal physician. He said to me, "It's a minimum of 7 years so you'll be 47 when you're done! ...If you do a fellowship you'll be 49, 50!" He seemed amazed by this. The thing is, in 10 years I'm going to be 50, no matter what. I might as well be doing what I want. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 10 years older than you with at least 2 more years of pre reqs left (I am finishing a BS with a double major and had NO science or math classes at all) and applying to medical school is all I can think about to the point of - if its not going to enhance my education or my application Im not doing it. Its all I want and I am willing to do ANYTHING and give up EVERYTHING to make it happen.

I feel similarly, ArchMed. I started med school last year at age 40. Recently, I was at an appointment with my personal physician. He said to me, "It's a minimum of 7 years so you'll be 47 when you're done! ...If you do a fellowship you'll be 49, 50!" He seemed amazed by this. The thing is, in 10 years I'm going to be 50, no matter what. I might as well be doing what I want. :)

I think it is the debt that amazes them. The cost/benefit, as well as financial risk at an older age.

I think it is the debt that amazes them. The cost/benefit, as well as financial risk at an older age.

The cost/benefit is independent from the debt. Money is spent and it all comes from the student eventually, and the student either sacrifices future interest on spent savings or pays interest on debt. It's largely a wash. In terms of cost/benefit, we ran the numbers in this forum a couple years ago, and our conclusion was that age 40-45 is about the point where the financial costs exceed the financial benefits. People who matriculate after age 45 pursue medicine (from the financial perspective) as an expensive hobby, while for those who enter at age 35 it's still an investment. Of course there are many important reasons to go into medicine besides finances.

Your first sentence intrigues me though. I wonder what a graph of student debt vs matriculation age would look like. Especially for those of us who have had 15+ years of career before entering medical school, do we mostly self finance medical school through accumulated savings? Or are we mostly a bunch of broke-ass mid-career changers?

(32yrs old, hope to matriculate at 34) To me it all comes down to wanting a different path in life. I have a boring job right now and I don't feel like I'm making a difference, having fun, or making a real amount of money. I feel like everyone should be doing at least one of those three things. I'm doing none right now and being a doctor is all three...seemed simple to me

I have a doctorate degree in Chiropractic. I have been unhappy with the field before I even graduated, but I felt like I had already nearly finished I might as well. Then I wanted to give it the 'ol 5 years and see how I feel trick, but that didn't work either.

I am planning on sitting for the MCAT in March and apply next year. I had not researched the medical application process enough and, naively, thought my Chiro degree might actually mean a damn :laugh: After getting over that bit of laughter, I went back and have taken a years worth of post-bacc classes in the hopes that #1 I demonstrated my ability to handle 40-50 hour work weeks and taking 8 hours of classes a semester and #2 this will be a great way to study for the MCAT (before I study for the MCAT).

Your life is going to pass you by OP, might as well do what you think you satisfy that inner need versus looking back and wondering what if.

Similar story here except I'm 36 and have been wasted 9 years in a different career. Will probably have to waste a couple more.

I am 32 at the current time and will matriculate at age 33 if all goes well this year. For me it is about fulfilling a dream, ending living paycheck to paycheck and securing a financial future for my family.

Additionally, I have spent 12 years in the healthcare profession already and climbed to the top echelon of where my current certification can take me. For me, I'll quite possibly be 42 before finishing residency but it is time well worth it and in the end I'm practicing medicine, leading teams, and able to practice internationally on medical mission trips.

At the young age of 42, I'll still have at least 25 years of practice ahead and at the current rate of our economy, etc I might as well be enjoying a profession I've always wanted instead of loathing my paycheck to paycheck job.

The easiest answer to that question is "My current job." I'm not trying to be glib here either - every day I go to work, it's a stark reminder that I am not doing what I want to be doing, and that the only way to get to where I want to be is to work my ass off, and take the process dead seriously.

All the basics have been hit by previous responders: I'm gonna be 45 regardless, so might as well do what I want to be doing by then and unhappy where I am, but believe that I will be happy where I'm going.

I'd also like to point out, the people who chewed on your plans for medical school are both disaffected physicians. Nothing like someone whose left a field to tell you about how unbelievably ****ty said field is, regardless of what it is. When you are happy doing what you are doing, that job is the best in the world, and what works for one person most decidedly does not for another. It's your life, and, to the best of our understanding, this is the only whack you get at it. Do what you want to be doing, as hard as as best as you can, and leave the disparaging commentary to the peanut gallery.

The easiest answer to that question is "My current job." I'm not trying to be glib here either - every day I go to work, it's a stark reminder that I am not doing what I want to be doing, and that the only way to get to where I want to be is to work my ass off, and take the process dead seriously.

I feel this same way, and I actually LOVE my current job. Insanely flexible hours, meet new people daily (I'm very social so this is a huge perk for me) and get enough challenges to make things interesting without driving me insane. And yet, I still know every single day that this isn't what I'm truly meant to be doing with my life. It sometimes really makes me wish I could be content with it, but I know in the long run I'll hate myself if I don't follow this dream.

I'm 44 and applying this year. That should make you feel better about your age.

Me, I'm too old to care!

I turn 35 end of August. I am a chiropractor and have decided to apply for medicine. I am currently enrolled in UNF for this Sept to retake/upgrade undergrad courses Gen Chem, Org Chem and Physics as advised by my academic advisor. Then I need to take the MCAT. I will not be able to get in to a med school until Fall of 2014 and there is no guarantees I will even be accepted based on my qualifications. Btw I graduated 2004 chiro college with 3.4 gpa and alot of those courses such as biochem, microbiology, anat etc I have already taken in chiro college. I would have to go through the same courses again in med school. My point is I dont want to waste any years. I am sure we all can relate to that! I am married and have two kids, ages three and one. My wife who is an RN is very supportive if whatever direction I take.

I know it is best to try to be accepted in a US or Cdn college rather than a Carribean medical college because foreign medical students have a more difficult time getting the residency they want. Right now I can see myself doing Gen surgery rotation. I have the desire to work in the hospital and specialize as opposed to a clinic because Ive been there done that. With a carrib med college, will it will be very difficult for me to get that residency? Should I attend a carribean college Jan next year? Or, should I take these undergrad courses again, MCAT and apply for 2014 year with no guarantee of acceptance? I am trying to decide whether another one and a half years is worth it just to try to to get into a US/Cdn college and not a carribean.

I turn 35 end of August. I am a chiropractor and have decided to apply for medicine. I am currently enrolled in UNF for this Sept to retake/upgrade undergrad courses Gen Chem, Org Chem and Physics as advised by my academic advisor. Then I need to take the MCAT. I will not be able to get in to a med school until Fall of 2014 and there is no guarantees I will even be accepted based on my qualifications. Btw I graduated 2004 chiro college with 3.4 gpa and alot of those courses such as biochem, microbiology, anat etc I have already taken in chiro college. I would have to go through the same courses again in med school. My point is I dont want to waste any years. I am sure we all can relate to that! I am married and have two kids, ages three and one. My wife who is an RN is very supportive if whatever direction I take.

I know it is best to try to be accepted in a US or Cdn college rather than a Carribean medical college because foreign medical students have a more difficult time getting the residency they want. Right now I can see myself doing Gen surgery rotation. I have the desire to work in the hospital and specialize as opposed to a clinic because Ive been there done that. With a carrib med college, will it will be very difficult for me to get that residency? Should I attend a carribean college Jan next year? Or, should I take these undergrad courses again, MCAT and apply for 2014 year with no guarantee of acceptance? I am trying to decide whether another one and a half years is worth it just to try to to get into a US/Cdn college and not a carribean.
You can get a guarantee of getting into a Carib med school. Sure. The problem is that there's no guarantee you'll get out, or that you'll get any residency. For-profit schools aren't under pressure to graduate a high percentage of their students. If your academic credentials are weak, then you're a perfect candidate from the Carib school perspective: the school collects a couple hundred thou in tuition, flunks you out, and you're on the hook to pay that couple hundred thou back..with interest. Talk about wasting years...

Getting in somewhere would be a horrible thing to happen to you, if you're not ready for the work. Your chiro school performance doesn't look that great, and doesn't count against your undergrad record at all. Get yourself to where you can get straight A's in the prereqs and get an above average MCAT, and then you can reasonably claim you're ready for med school. Don't screw around with a quick & easy option.

Best of luck to you.

This thread seems to have twisted slightly from the OP's original, unique situation into a general discussion about pursuing medicine at an older age. I'm not against anyone going for their MD at any particular age - heck, I was non-trad - but I don't think OP has a clear reason to justify the time, expense, and general pain-in-the-%&* of medical school and residency.

It sounds to me like OP wants to continue working in an international health/research capacity, just with more clinical background in obstetrics to supplement whatever it is his/her role is. Frankly, with such a specific goal it seems silly to jump through all the hoops of medicine just to learn something about obstetrics. It will take you a fraction of those 8 years (+ whatever time pre-reqs and applying will consume) to learn what you want to learn. Granted, you won't be performing surgeries, but it's nonsense to think that medicine gives you some irreplaceable edge on research, clinical or otherwise. Frankly, most physicians hone their research skills on independent projects outside of the medical curriculum, e.g. by doing the sort of work you're already doing.

In short, if you have a burning, insatiable desire to perform C-sections, by all means go for medical school - but everything else you can pretty much do on your own much more efficiently. I love what I do (most of the time) and it's a great job in many ways, but I feel like these forums can sometimes err heavily on the side of "MD or bust" when there are often better options for achieving your goals.

I'm a little younger (4 months shy of my 30th birthday) but what motivates me is realizing that time will pass whether I do something about it or not. Birthday's will come and pass and you have to choose if you want to be the current person you are, or take a different path and develop the career you want. This thought alone makes me ignore my age and keep pushing forward.

Indeed.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

For balance, I might add that I would question if a medical degree really is worth it for you (I was also PhD-to-MD, but in a hardcore science discipline). Honestly, you would bring more to medicine with a research background than medicine would bring to you. I've been there, done that, gone to medical school/residency/fellowship, and I'm back in research (with clinical responsibilities). I'll honestly say that much of the 'clinical stuff' I needed to know or wondered about which relates to my area of research can and was learned by me before medical school. I just picked up a textbook and read. I learned it so well that I was told at faculty candidate seminars that they were not sure if my training was in medicine or research (this was before going to medical school). You are basically doing the same thing right now, and clearly it's adding the perspective you need.

Age, grades, and a dark path ahead of you aside, it's honestly very, very hard to do both clinical medicine and significant research well. Few can do this. Your time is always divided, and you will always be interrupted by pages/calls about patients who rightly deserve your full attention. If you want a family and expect to ever pay off the massive medical school loans.....even harder. Sorry it's not what you might want to tread.

Good luck.

Edit: everything was rosy and bright right up until internship. It's different once you actually see the reality of this day after day.

Last edited:
Just turned 36 and started my 4th year of medical school, so I started at the ripe age of 33. I taught high school science for ten years prior to starting medical school. Always knew this is what I wanted to do, and I have absolutely no regrets at all. I'd take some time to do some self reflection, weigh the pros and cons of going for it. Ultimately for me, I tried to picture myself twenty years from now and what I saw myself doing and it was pretty clear that I wouldn't be as happy teaching so I went all in. Honestly, I think it was tougher getting into medical school than it is doing well in medical school. Anyway, just know there are plenty of people not only in medical school in their thirties and forties but also doing quite well! If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me. I'm truly enjoying my last year, other than the residency application process!!

The GPA is a hurdle. Being 30 years old is NOT.

I'm two days short of turning 41 and I start medical school in three weeks. You need to decide what you will regret more -- having gone at such a late age or not having gone at all. Picture yourself at 83 years old looking back at your life. If you're like me, you'll see yourself saying, "Damn! I was only 30. I can't believe I didn't go for it."

Well said.

Just stay focused on your goal and you can accomplish it; don't think about age because we are all getting older anyways, might as well spend that time working towards something you love doing. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just stay focused on your goal and you can accomplish it; don't think about age because we are all getting older anyways, might as well spend that time working towards something you love doing. :)

Honey, this post is like 3 years old lol. Hopefully OP has gone and worked towards that goal or reached happiness through another point in their life.

I came from not only a non-med path, but a severe medical phobia path that lasted until I was in my 30s. I have a MS in a useless field.

I am currently an M1 at 34.

Trust me, you only want to do this if you absolutely cannot consider doing anything else.

You will have to do something with that GPA though. Might want to consider DO as they will consider your grad GPA more than MD will so figure out what your GPA is with them and then make a plan to see what you can do to repair it to a better level if needed.