How do you find the e- configuration for compounds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've come across multiple times where a question asks for the configuration of a compound like NaCl or KBr (so I guess ionic compounds) and I never understand how they solve it. Can someone explain?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean like knowing that NaCl is formed of Na+ and Cl-?

This would arise from knowing the properties of the periodic table for common ions.

The most important ones being Alkali Metals are +1, Alkaline Earth Metals are +2, Chalcogens (mainly O and S) are -2, and Halogens are -1.

These combine predictably in ionic compounds. Also commonly it is good to know that silver is +1 and aluminum is +3.

Learn the ones I listed along with the common polyatomic ions and you can describe the structure of most basic compounds.

A quick search found this list. http://faculty.lacitycollege.edu/boanta/paperwork/iontable.htm

That is way beyond MCAT requirements but it contains all the important ones.

If this is not what you were asking, then apologies.

Oh! I see you have to break it down. I looked at the question like i have no idea how to figure it out for NaCl together but separately I could. Thanks! :]