How do you get to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julz93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am currently a freshman at Cal State Long Beach majoring in Biology but I am in doubt about my chance into medical school because it's simply a cal state(I wished i studied harder to get into an UC or something). Anyways I am planning to transfer to UCI, UCLA, UCSD, or any other higher institutions in 2 years. However these are some questions that I do not know:
When is it a good time to start studying for the MCAT?
Are there any other ways to get into medical school?
What is the recommended GPA score and MCAT score?

If anyone could show me the way, I would be very grateful because I am willing to work very hard and I'm not bull****ting( planning to live in the library).
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 minutes walk down a hill.

To answer your question as concisely as possible:

Transferring to a better school will help you.

GPA - Aim for the highest possible GPA. This is a no **** statement, but you need to realize you can't take corners and you need to do everything in your power to get the best marks.

For extra Curricular activities use every semester wisely. You'll want to get involved in volunteering, research, leadership, and some patient exposure.

Study for the MCAT after you've taken all the prerequisite classes and when you'll have time to dedicate to studying. For me I took it during the summer between my third and fourth year. Since I was on the five year track for my degree this gave me time to get everything in order and make sure my app was super strong.

Finally, use SDN as a resource. My biggest regret is that I didn't actively search for something like this.

It would seem that someone truly interested in med school would feel compelled enough to google "how do you become a doctor" haha. I can only assume since you found SDN that you know how to use google. After that you can fill in the blanks via this forum.