How do you guys come to grips w/ the current role of big pharma in America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavanshir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in applying to psychiatry and I'm curious to know how current & future psychiatrists deal with the current crisis in the overmedication of children and adults in America? How do you explain it to your friends and family, and how do you explain it to the patient who is opposed to taking a new medication? Or do you disagree that there is a current crisis with big pharma?

Members don't see this ad.

You're conflating several issues, which granted are not mutually exclusive -- 1. biologic reductionism and the over-reliance on medication 2. Pharmaceutical power and influence (including their financing of medical education, publication, and CMEs).
1. The pendulum is swinging back to a balanced understanding, a la biopsychosocial. It will take some time.
2. Most psych meds are generic nowadays, and most academic medical centers have banned pharma reps.
So really it all comes down to being an astute and skeptical clinician, thinking broadly and identifying bias as much as is possible.

We need pharma companies, but that doesn't mean we have to swallow their information whole. Eat the meat, spit out the bones.

Reactions: 5 users
I generally explain to them that big-pharma-produced so-called "medicines" are poisons that our bodies weren't meant to have in them, and that these companies are sitting on cures for cancer they refuse to release while spreading autism among our children via their evil vaccines while the CEOs twirl their moustaches and cackle sadistically. I then reassure them that cannabis oil cures cancer and that a Dr. Oz detox diet will leave their minds feeling cleansed and renewed.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in applying to psychiatry and I'm curious to know how current & future psychiatrists deal with the current crisis in the overmedication of children and adults in America? How do you explain it to your friends and family, and how do you explain it to the patient who is opposed to taking a new medication? Or do you disagree that there is a current crisis with big pharma?
Crisis seems like a pretty strong word to describe the current situation related to medications and mental health. I would argue that the crisis in mental health was before we had any effective medications and psychotherapies. I do agree that the FDA should never have let the pharmacy companies start advertising their wares on TV. My favorite commercial was the one for Paxil that said, "Do you ever feel anxiety in social situations? Maybe you have Social Anxiety Disorder." Back in my day, that's what alcohol was for!