How do you guys destress and relax?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The usual..having sex, warm epsom salt baths followed by cold showers, reading books, watching documentaries ( TED, Netflix etc... ), meeting friends over lunch/dinner, working out etc..

masturba-
reading Shakespearean classics

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scotch and cigar night. Nothing compares

Reactions: 1 user
I like to utilize what I call baby therapy. Find a baby, cuddle. Rinse and repeat. Play peek-a-boo and tickle their toes. Making them giggle will be the highlight of your day :)

WHY ARE WE YELLING? I'M JUST RELAXING HERE STUDYING BIOCHEM...
Ah! Aha! Bwahaha! I don't have to study biochem anymore!! Screw you plebes!

*runs cackling out door*

The usual..having sex, warm epsom salt baths followed by cold showers, reading books, watching documentaries ( TED, Netflix etc... ), meeting friends over lunch/dinner, working out etc..
54961958.jpg

Wine and video games.

Usually does the trick

just snorted an espresso. and some jellybeans. slowly.

But I really like doing mundane, repetitive tasks in the lab. Like just go in and make a gel. Watch some videos. Talk to the crazy people in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plug myself into the wall socket, swap out my batteries for a fresh pair, and tighten any screws that came loose after a long day of pretending be a flesh-monkey.

Food, video games, anime, masturbation.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm more interested in that side business. Can you talk more about it? What is your core strategy?

Working out, taking a nap.. things like that

I enjoy dressing up like @Goro and w-

On second thought, you should just stick to what works for you.

You're not the only one working long hours. I work too, and believe me, it is a struggle managing a job, being a science major, and maintaining energy. I don't have many close friends either, but that's okay, because we're not here to become everyone's best friend, we're here to earn good grades and go on to be good physicians!

In regards to de-stressing, try to take a nap or watch a nice movie.

It seems tough, especially when you look at classmates who don't have jobs, but I promise you that you are more than capable of making this work. Good luck!

Studying for the MCAT 15 hours a week plus a full load of classes is tough. My best relaxation method is sitting on my couch and watching a movie. Do nothing

Also I like to play smash and go on for glory and beat scrubs. And my girlfriend is very good at getting rid of my stress ;)

I like to utilize what I call baby therapy. Find a baby, cuddle. Rinse and repeat. Play peek-a-boo and tickle their toes. Making them giggle will be the highlight of your day :)

That is super effective.

This face gets me every time. My little snugglekin.
Unfortunately, also the cause of a lot of procrastination. :love:
image.jpg

Pumping weights, humping dates and drinking fermented grapes :rolleyes:

OP, I didn't really want to be the one to say it, but you are THAT freshman...

This isn't a bad thing, because you shouldn't care much what other people think (especially not SDNers). But good God man you are gonna flounder very soon if you don't figure out what you can cut out of your life for the time being. I'm serious. No one can keep up that type of rigorous schedule all 4 years of college AND get good grades AND be well rested (sleep debt has a ceiling, you know) AND do well on the MCAT AND be mentally present/aware even most of the time.

Seriously, cut back on the shadowing. Someone said it before, but there is no need to shadow 8 hours a week. Maybe 8 hours every 3 weeks during school (more during breaks). Lab spots are harder to come by, and volunteering positions are a dime a dozen. Volunteer at maybe 1-2 things you really enjoy and leave it be.

These suggestions aren't meant in vain. We all have those friends who screw up somehow from being too involved

Anime. Copious amounts of anime.
Beer. Copious amounts of beer.

Guys guys....we can have both.

Weed, bubble baths, masturbation. Pick any combination of two.

I know which combination I'd pick.

If I smoked weed.

Which I don't because it isn't FDA approved and might cause cancer/have addictive properties/make me stupid and lazy.

This doesn't stop in med school, btw. Tons of nerds who want to relax after studying during the day + lots of free time on the weekends MS1 = anime parties.

Dude....I honestly wouldn't have thought. This is actually pretty cool.

This is just an easy thing to do for you? I feel like someone would call the cops if I go around asking people, "Hey can I cuddle with your baby real quick?"

I don't have many close friends either, but that's okay, because we're not here to become everyone's best friend, we're here to earn good grades and go on to be good physicians!

I know you meant it to sound uplifting, but that sentence actually came out pretty depressing.

It's a matter of having a sound body
Sound mind . You need to clear your mind
I usually close my eyes for 20 seconds
slowly open your eyes and you should look for things that is color green .
Do it while Inhaling deep and slow exhale .

Guys guys....we can have both.

I know which combination I'd pick.

If I smoked weed.

Which I don't because it isn't FDA approved and might cause cancer/have addictive properties/make me stupid and lazy.

I know you meant it to sound uplifting, but that sentence actually came out pretty depressing.

No more depressing than the one you just uttered.

Put on some old school bob Marley get some KFC and velveeta. And top that off with the finest of Herbs I can find. If I am really stressed I will put on Friday
maxresdefault.jpg

You're not the only one working long hours. I work too, and believe me, it is a struggle managing a job, being a science major, and maintaining energy. I don't have many close friends either, but that's okay, because we're not here to become everyone's best friend, we're here to earn good grades and go on to be good physicians!

In regards to de-stressing, try to take a nap or watch a nice movie.

It seems tough, especially when you look at classmates who don't have jobs, but I promise you that you are more than capable of making this work. Good luck!

This post really depressed me.

If it makes anyone feel better, I worked all through undergrad, had 2 science majors, did research, volunteered, shadowed, etc, and through doing all that I made some awesome friends. On the flip side, I didn't have time to go out more than once or twice a week, but that's the trade-off.

I remember vividly in undergrad shutting myself in to the library to study all night for a micro, neuro, and anatomy final the next day, and found myself incredibly envious of the group of communications students next to me whose final project for their class was to make a twitter account for a made-up business.

Put on some old school bob Marley get some KFC and velveeta. And top that off with the finest of Herbs I can find. If I am really stressed I will put on Friday
maxresdefault.jpg
Omg you smoke the marijuanas? You're going to be a terrible doctor and you'll never be able to empathize with your patients

Thank you. I said that you shouldn't feel the need to become best friends with everyone. Never did I say that you should lock yourself away from civilization and maintain no contact with people. It didn't sound depressing to me, but hey, everything sounds different when written and not spoken, I suppose. My apologies if it did come across as solemn. :)

Do whatever makes you happy! Good luck to you all! Remember, keep trying and you will one day become the physician you deserve to be!

Last edited:

What? You don't go for some AA (Anime n Alcohol)?

Yes. I don't even know how though but they went out of business where I'm at (seriously how does that even happen when crappy McD's and BK is still around?).

velveeta.

Bleh. Tried once - never again.

This post really depressed me.communications students next to me whose final project for their class was to make a twitter account for a made-up business.

It's funny because this is literally the kind of stuff business majors do. I actually had to do a proposal on utilizing social media for a biz class once.

Omg you smoke the marijuanas? You're going to be a terrible doctor and you'll never be able to empathize with your patients
I assume this is sarcasm, I use to smoke . When I smoke I get lazy, and I got too much on my plate to find time for that.. LOL the doctor who I shadow he has a private practice every morning when I come there early I can smell his weed from the night before

Last edited:
So many Marijuana posts, used to be my favorite way to chill but it effects my grade too much met too many bad people on it and now it just gives me panic attacks. I feel like it has emotionaly stunted me, trying to make friends without it is just too hard. Ahwell someday I'll learn.
On topic meditating and running

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Stick your chest out, keep ya head up.... and handle it.

you never tried it with KFC thats why .

True. I made that salsa cheese mix. Was terrible. I had a tummy ache for days (was like ten years old at the time).

I assume this is sarcasm, I use to smoke .

Um. That's federally illegal.

the doctor who I shadow he has a private practice every morning when I come there early I can smell his weed from the night before

This person is a criminal. Please refrain from putting this experience on your app, as you may get blacklisted.

In conclusion, marijuana may potentially cause cancer and birth defects. Please don't do it guys.

Love the new title :rofl:

Using "witness me!" completely inappropriately is one of my favorite things in life ever since that movie came out.
*sitting in bathroom stall*

Some guy comes in. I yell, "Witness me!" He leaves without washing his hands.

Groce.

Sex and alcohol always did the trick for me. Sometimes lots of sex and lots of alcohol.

Woah woah woah woah WOAH. You do know both you and your partner cannot consent to sex while intoxicated and that therefore you, as the male, are totally 100% liable for not receiving consent?

Sexual assault is not an acceptable destressing activity, and I can guarantee it will lead to much more stress in the future.

Love the new title :rofl:

Using "witness me!" completely inappropriately is one of my favorite things in life ever since that movie came out.
*sitting in bathroom stall*

Some guy comes in. I yell, "Witness me!" He leaves without washing his hands.

Groce.

What movie? This just makes me think of tupac....

Woah woah woah woah WOAH. You do know both you and your partner cannot consent to sex while intoxicated and that therefore you, as the male, are totally 100% liable for not receiving consent?

Sexual assault is not an acceptable destressing activity, and I can guarantee it will lead to much more stress in the future.

What movie? This just makes me think of tupac....

The warboys have a whole religion built around riding to Valhalla on a V8, shiny and chrome.