How do you guys manage to condense lecture slides and make notes from them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any tips on how to put lecture slides into your own words/condensing them, when you make your own notes from the lecture slides? I have trouble doing this because I can't really decipher what is important and what is unimportant information. As a result, I end up rewriting all of the information from the lecture slides, and this takes a bit too much time and I know there's a much more efficient/shorter way of learning the information. Also, I do this because I'm scared that I will leave out something important, when I study the information that will be on the test because the professors generally don't let us know what information is unimportant... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys have any tips on how to put lecture slides into your own words/condensing them, when you make your own notes from the lecture slides? I have trouble doing this because I can't really decipher what is important and what is unimportant information. As a result, I end up rewriting all of the information from the lecture slides, and this takes a bit too much time and I know there's a much more efficient/shorter way of learning the information. Also, I do this because I'm scared that I will leave out something important, when I study the information that will be on the test because the professors generally don't let us know what information is unimportant... :confused:

Sure, they let you know. You need to work on listening better and paying attention to cues. Everyone has their tells. Everyone has ways of showing what they do/don't care about. Figure out how to read your profs and then take notes on what they care about.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't bother rewriting all the lecture slide notes. don't even bother writing any of them. Use a highlighter or colorful utensils to underline/highlight important information. and by important information, i mean ideas that tie together, not just miniscule/unimportant facts (you can learn them after you get the big concepts down).

Is about reading your professor like one poster said. At some point you should be able to predict what kind of questions they will ask. Also focus on understanding ideas first then you can focus on memorizing minute details if you have to.