How do you guys stay energized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amapples

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, I feel like I'm so slow and lethargic and it really affects my quality of work. I'm literally like this from the moment I wake up.

Do you guys do or eat anything to keep you energized and awake? Caffeine, gum, etc.? Do you guys work out in the morning? Anything?

Members don't see this ad.

A few things that help me:
1. Get a good night sleep (the actual amount varies for everyone, you should know how much you need)
2. Eat healthy. Don't eat junk food every day for all 3 meals.
3. Don't do drugs the day before you want to study/work. This includes alcohol.
4. Coffee

Reactions: 1 users
Just to add to the list:

-Drink water throughout the day.
-If this has been ongoing for a long time, get your hormone levels checked.
-Just as you need a good night sleep, don't oversleep.
-Exercise

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wake up and go to sleep at the same time each day. Over time, this has caused me to wake up naturally a few minutes before my alarm goes off, which helps eliminate that groggy feeling you get after being woken up by an alarm.

I also work out right after I wake up in the morning, which gives me a nice boost of energy.

Steel cut oatmeal for breakfast everyday. Boring, but healthy, and good for your poops as well.

Exercising can do wonders for your long-term energy levels. You don't have to go full out powerlifting; running three times a week will show you marked improvements in how you feel after only a a month or two.

And when I need that quick burst of energy, I have caffeine pills. Easier to take them than to brew a cup of coffee, and easier to control for dosage as well.

I've found that starting my morning off with a fresh line of cocaine (ideally off a hooker's butt crack, if available) always gets me in the mood to take on the day.

Reactions: 7 users
Sleep, and coffee.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're a male you probably have low testosterone. Usually caused by lack of sleep, poor diet, stress and possibly isolation.

I've found that starting my morning off with a fresh line of cocaine (ideally off a hooker's butt crack, if available) always gets me in the mood to take on the day.

tumblr_mdzfzz4CPf1qbdumgo4_500.png

6-8 hours of sleep per night. The key to maintaining good academic performance is sleep. For example, if I feel underprepared for a test the night before, I make sure to get an extra 30-60 minutes of sleep instead of studying into the early morning hours.

If this fails, spend time in the sun doing self-imposed manual labor, ride a bicycle, take caffeine pills, and chew nicotine gum. Basically, delineate all possible causes of fatigue and systematically rule each out until you arrive at the true cause(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
0. I was always the person that said "I cant fall asleep fast". "I dont take naps". Guess what, I take several now everyday. During sleep your brain declutters. Dumps and stores info. Research shows 15-30 min nap have the capacity to declutter 1.5 hours of prolonged sleep information. There is still ongoing research into the field of microsleep. If I switch between topics, or start getting drowsy, I just lay my head down at the library turn on the rain sounds on youtube and set an alarm 25 min from there. I usually wake up within 10-15 min, refreshed. Ready to tackle something else. The rain sound is a trigger to go down quickly.

1. Blend berries. works miracles. hits like a line of coke ^

2. if you need to stay awake during test and had no sleep, you need to stimulate your system. I never had a professor say I couldnt have my lemon or chilli pepper out. yes if I do the dosing off thing, i will bite into the lemon during my test. if I am doing really bad snoozing that keeps you in a constant head-tilting fog, then bite into that spicy food.

3. Caffeine all day everyday, half a cup, sip all day little by little. I never overwhelm my heart with it.

4. Save overwhelming your heart for Hi*Ball organic energy. Organic caffeine, organic ginseng root extract, other organic stuff. Writing lab report. Sipping it now (please dont drink Monster. the ingredient list is x 49540433 longer than Hi*Ball. God knows how they extract their ingredients).

5. Longer sleep is needed at some point. Plan it. Stay up all nights before the last day to study for the test. Dont stay up the day before your test.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm so slow and lethargic and it really affects my quality of work. I'm literally like this from the moment I wake up.

Do you guys do or eat anything to keep you energized and awake? Caffeine, gum, etc.? Do you guys work out in the morning? Anything?

Sex in the morning usually gets me pretty hyped for the day. We were young and soldiers ... I mean lovers.

Duracell satisfies virtually all of my power needs.

Sex
Rock climbing

Honestly anything physically engaging has always been a pretty good mood booster.

I'm sure you get lots of the former as a vascular surgeon, amirite?

I thought you could function in less than four hours of sleep without them? ;)

Depends on what type of sex you're talking about. And I expected you to say caffeine! Me disappoint. :p

Can definitely live on the uberman sleep cycle. Tried it out this last month and it was fun.... nap between cases - go home and sleep 3 hours. You still feel tired though. When you add sex, makes it a lot more worthwhile to be awake that much.

And caffeine is definitely my workplace mistress. But you know there's not comparison to horizontal/vertical/upsidedowntical hijinks.

Can definitely live on the uberman sleep cycle. Tried it out this last month and it was fun.... nap between cases - go home and sleep 3 hours. You still feel tired though. When you add sex, makes it a lot more worthwhile to be awake that much.

And caffeine is definitely my workplace mistress. But you know there's not comparison to horizontal/vertical/upsidedowntical hijinks.

But the real question is:

Is it a cure-all for all specialties?

yes. It is a cure all. especially when you have had a horrible day at work.

I felt the best when doing a polyphastic sleep cycle (usually biphastic, 4 sleep, 4 awake, 4 sleep, then the rest of the time awake). I almost never drink caffeine as it conflicts with a medication. Turn off artificial lighting as much as you can.

A few things that help me:
1. Get a good night sleep (the actual amount varies for everyone, you should know how much you need)
2. Eat healthy. Don't eat junk food every day for all 3 meals.
3. Don't do drugs the day before you want to study/work. This includes alcohol.
4. Coffee

Coffee is a drug. You mean don't do the wrong kind of drugs.

coffee makes me go to sleep. Ate 2 brownies the whole day and have been actively awake. Should I be worried?

Have you had your TSH and thyroxine levels checked? Mostly sarcastic/slightly serious

@jqeb29, good point, hypothyroidism runs in the family after a parent got diagnosed. Will check it out at the next appointment lol.

I have to agree with exercise.

Even doing a couple sets of pushups throughtout the day gives me an energy boost.

Some call it BS, but I think I've found a method that keeps my physical health/mental health/academic performance at the levels I want them. The only thing is that the plan is highly structured and meant mainly for people who are more introverted.

Sample plan for Medical School [UNDERGRAD]:

5:30: Wake up and read an enjoyable book.
6:00-8:00: Work out/Shower/Eat Breakfast
8:00-12:00: The pumping blood is the equivalent to caffeine (my own opinion) so study hard! [UNDERGRAD-CLASSES]
12:00-1:00: Lunch/Call Parents/Socialize
1:00-5:00: Study HARD! [UNDERGRAD-RESEARCH/JOB/IF NONE, STUDY]
5:00-6:00: Socialize/Dinner
6:00-9:00: Focused Review of Topic Learnt that day [UNDERGRAD-CONTINUE STUDY]
9:00-10:00: Walk home, brush, and fall asleep reading SOMETHING ON PAPER enjoyable.

Fridays:

Break schedule to party/watch a movie/spend time with GF/etc. after 5:00 PM Study period.

Saturday:

Get up at 12:00 PM.
Eat/Workout/Refresh by 2:00 PM
Study from 2-5 PM
Quick Dinner from 5-5:30 PM
5:30-8:30-STUDY HARD
8:30-9:00: Walk home and change for bed.
9:00-12:00: Sit home in bed and go on SDN/Watch movies w/ cheat food/etc.

Sunday:

Wake up at 7
Go shopping at Meijer and buy all food that fits macros for the week by 10.
Cook all the food and place it in tupperware by 12.
12-4: Study!!! (You should have all material learnt that week crystallized)
4-5: Eat
5-9: STUDY!!!!!!!!!!
9-10: Walk home and read a book till you fall asleep and be ready to wake up at 5:30.

Tips:

1. DEVIATE FROM SCHEDULE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.
2. Sleep in multiples in 1.5 hrs but make sure you're sitting in bed doing something passive 15 minutes beforehand.
3. Neither cutting nor bulking (weight-training terms) fits well with school. One makes you sluggish and another doesn't send enough glucose to the brain (again my opinions). Your best bet is to do what I call a very mild cutting phase over time where you only eat 50-100 calories below what you burn. (This means you'll need to make your gainz during the summer). Also, keep carbs EQUAL to the amount of protein you consume and fill the rest with fats. For a 2400 cal. diet, 150g carbs (IT PILES UP SO FAST), 150 g protein, 100 g fat (Peanut butter, Hummus, and Nuts are your friends) works wonders.
4. Caffeine is OK in moderation but SET limits! Do not consume after 9 AM.
5. DO NOT let tests steam roll your routine. Let your routine steam roll the test!

This will not guarantee a complete absence of tiredness, but should minimize it!

Darn, I wish I had someone to have sex with. :(