How do you guys work around gown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HLxDrummer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like working around clothes/gown takes so much time and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

For example, when you are percussing the lungs, do you untie the back for them? Have them untie/retie it? Etc.

Also what do you do to auscultate the heart with a gown? Aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid through the top and reach from the side to do mitral? I feel like that is a pain because they always end up sitting on the gown so I can't reach from the side easily.

If you have any tips for clothing, that would be appreciated as well!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like working around clothes/gown takes so much time and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

For example, when you are percussing the lungs, do you untie the back for them? Have them untie/retie it? Etc.

Also what do you do to auscultate the heart with a gown? Aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid through the top and reach from the side to do mitral? I feel like that is a pain because they always end up sitting on the gown so I can't reach from the side easily.

If you have any tips for clothing, that would be appreciated as well!
3rd year problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Percussion: x-ray: chest, 2 view. RE: cough, fever.
Heart sounds: I go from the top for aortic, pulm, and tricuspid. (side note: for OSCEs, I ask them to drop the top of the gown, grab heart and anterior lung sounds, and then have them regown. OSCEs =/= real life).

ROFL I ascultate via the esophagus, with a TEE.