How do you know when your MCAT score is maxed out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Susanoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify what I am asking, I am basically asking: how do you know when your MCAT score is at a maximum, meaning, your practice exams and such are not really budging outside of a small range, and there is nothing you can really significantly do to improve your score?

Is there even a maximum? I am sure everybody has some point where they reach a peak, everyone I have spoken to has at least. I do not know my maximum or if I've even reached it, since I literally hit 28 on my practice exams the day before my actual MCAT, and then got a 28 on the real thing. Its possible I just coincidentally hit my max the day before and my schedule retake is pointless.

That being said, I came in (and still have) a very weak science foundation. I did poorly in a lot of my undergrad courses. So, to give an example, while studying for the MCAT this summer, I literally learned for the first time what a titration was. I really did not know what it was, even in gen chem, I just kind of worked around it and knew how to sort of do problems related to it, but I did not understand it conceptually at all. I was like, "Oh, that makes a lot of sense now. I wish I knew that in gen. chem..." I had (and have?) huge holes in my science foundation. Honestly, I knew more physics and general chemistry during my MCAT than I did while taking those courses.

Edit: Let me reword the question, when should you stop studying and settle for the score range that you're managing, because you likely cannot improve past that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This question is more complicated than it seems.

Personally, I think you hit your "max" when you've burnt out on studying. I think you can always improve and with a bit of luck. Remember the difference between 1 point on a section is only 2-3 questions.

Last edited:
I think verbal is limiting for a lot of people (myself included) but for the sciences, you can always improve (unless you are averaging 14-15).