How do you know where you want to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep flipping back and forth between where I want to move to before rank lists are in. My #1 is already set but 2-4 are the major problem. I have only lived in Chicago my entire life and am excited to move to another major city for residency. Being from Chicago, I envisioned myself moving to either NYC or Boston, as both cities offer a lot for singles, have 4 seasons and are somewhat similar to Chicago. I visited Boston once and enjoyed my time there and love that it is a young city with so many educated professionals in one area. However, I spent one month living in NYC this past fall for a rotation and I ended up really enjoying my time there as well. I began to think that I definitely want to end up in NYC if I don't end up at my #1 in Boston because I had such a great time during my rotation. Problem is...during my month long stay in NY, I basically lived an unrealistic life. I went out almost everyday, spent money like no other and just had fun meeting up with random friends. Now obviously residency will be nowhere like that, so I am not sure if my allure to NYC is realistic or not. I interviewed at Mount Sinai and completely bonded with a couple of the residents and know that they are definitely one of the most manageable programs out there in Manhattan. I love the energy and fast pace of New York and feel like it could be a great Many people complain how living in NYC as a resident just makes little day-to-day things so much harder and when you come home from the hospital, you want your life to be as easy as possible. I am worried that the energy and love that I had for NYC while I was there is getting in the way of a logical decision for wanting to move there for three years.

Then came my last interview week in California, specifically UCLA. I absolutely fell in love with their program, the residents there and just had a great vibe from my interview day. But I don't really consider myself someone to "fit in" with the rest of LA. I have never cared for warm weather since I am used to the tundra that Chicagoans suffer through for 6 months out of the year. All of a sudden, I am re-thinking my choices of wanting to move to the East coast because I really liked UCLA's program.

My question for all of you is...how do you know where you fit in and want to live if you have ONLY lived in one place your whole life? I have no family or good friends in any of these places. Wherever I move, I will be starting from scratch and have no ties to keep in one location. A flight from NYC/Boston is closer to Chicago than it is from LA and that would somewhat of a positive if I want to see my family back in Chicago. I feel like the culture in Chicago is more similar to the east coast, but maybe moving to LA could be something i can adapt to anyway? Just kind of stuck and looking for some advice. Thanks so much to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know if anyone can figure this out except for you. why don't you talk to someone who actually knows you well to help you figure this out. i keep telling people i meet along the interview trail that choosing a program is largely personal and the BEST people to help you figure this out are people who actually know you in person. and, here's the kicker- they don't need to be in medicine. this board is pretty much only good for saying "this program makes you **** gold, that program send 20 people into cards every year, this program ends your career, that program ... " you get the idea.

bottom line. lay out what you're thinking and feeling with someone close to you. just talk it out. even if this person knows absolutely nothing about medicine or these programs, he or she may elicit things you have not thought about or confirm things you were already thinking.

I am not aware of anyone who is currently in possession of a crystal ball to help you figure out which city you'll enjoy the most

come on dude this is a totally personal decision and whatever you read on this forum is completely irrelevant when it comes to your question.