how do you man age techs calling in sick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know a woman, late 30s, lives in my hometown. Makes $62/hr in retail(last I checked..back in 2009, might be more now). Bought a gorgeous 4br, 4ba 3500 sq foot home with granite everything, 3 stall garage, the most amazing master bathroom imaginable, a 1500 sq foot living area with exotic hardwood floors...$250,000. Same I paid for my sensible 3br, 2ba home.

She married a recently retired Army officer that checked out after 20 years who is also a fitness nut. So she lives in a mansion and has a hard bodied house husband that cooks/cleans while drawing a decent little pension with free healthcare. Good for her, I say.

He got a trophy husband. Just like Clooney.

You are completely brainwashed from your "Asian Society." One must giggle when they realize that they are defending companies (chains) that pay their workers below what they could afford in order to thicken the pockets of CEOs and the like. Their only objective is profit margin. Plain and simple.

The reason these employees are not giving 100% is that they respect their employer on an equal scale as the employer respects said employee. You truly believe that these chains care about a technician other than what he/she produces for the companys benefit? This is capitalism.

Your "non-entitled" self would fit perfectly in a non-capitalistic society. I can think of a few places in Asia that would work.

There is a reason that young Americans feel "entitled" and that did not sprout up from nowhere. It is because of the system in which they were brought up in. In capitalistic societies, it would be foolish to not seek an equal employee-employer relationship- and if said employee is being taken advantage of, then they have the right to even it out with "sick days" and the like. (not moral in the sense that you are screwing your fellow employees- but fair in the employee-employer relationship)

Finally, I find it funny that you paint this picture of America as a suffering country. If you look at the world throughout human history, America has a overwhelming chance of becoming one of the most successful and thriving empires in history. Within a measly 300 years, America has become THE superpower. Now obviously that did not come from perfect ethics, but what empire has? That right there might explain this "entitled" attitude of Americans.

I apologize for the rant, but you fit this mold of so many Asian-Americans that I know and how dare you tell us what the "right" mindset is. This is a free country. Do whatever the hell you want.

Wow, your ideas fits the entitled communist braineashing BS I had when I was little. How things have changed. Oh, the evil capitalists, how dare they make money! Workers of the world unite and over throw the companies, and get paid whatever you want and work as little as you like... Oh wait that worked well for China and Russia before the 90s.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The basic principle of any capitalist system is supply and demand. With unskilled labor, no qualifications needed, there is gonna be a huge supply, For a given amount of demand for labor, as supply increases, the price goes down. Simple. It's not some evil plot. Just as we don't want to over pay for out groceries, employers don't want to over pay for labor.

If a job doesn't pay much, but the person haven't got the skills to get a job that pays more, then whose fault is that? Does he insist the employer overpay? And if he refuse to do the job, does he insist that they let him get away with it?

It's the systems fault the worker has been set up to fail via lack of skills, education, the like. How do you expect someone working for minimum wage with varied hours to get/afford an education to find a better job?

The system has been rigged by the rich that control the Gov't. Softening worker's right and protections, and brainwashing the public to thinking that it's the best for them (remember they think they will be rich someday). People blame the abused dog when it bites not the abuser. Hopefully eventually all the lower level workers will unionize and gain some protections that have been lost and maybe we can inch our way towards nations that actually treat their workers with respect

California @ $72/hr yields:
Federal tax bill of $32,267
State tax bill of $11,437
Total tax bill: $47,430 [actually adds up to $43,704]
Wow that's a lot of taxes. I ran the annual salary of $150k through paycheckcity and it also came up with "SDI" $939.40 per yr. Is that State Disability Insurance something extra the employee has to pay?

So if you add on Social Security and Medicare:
SDI $939.40
Social Security $7,347
Medicare $2,175

Total tax bill: $54,165 :eek: Ouch!

I'm in Florida and last year with an AGI of $114k (does not include 401k) I paid around:

$20,000 federal tax
no state income tax
disability insurance paid by employer
$7,254 SS
$1,800 Medicare
Total tax bill: $29,054

So I guess I shouldn't complain.

It's the systems fault the worker has been set up to fail via lack of skills, education, the like. How do you expect someone working for minimum wage with varied hours to get/afford an education to find a better job?

The system has been rigged by the rich that control the Gov't. Softening worker's right and protections, and brainwashing the public to thinking that it's the best for them (remember they think they will be rich someday). People blame the abused dog when it bites not the abuser. Hopefully eventually all the lower level workers will unionize and gain some protections that have been lost and maybe we can inch our way towards nations that actually treat their workers with respect

Wait, it's the systems fault that my family worked and studied our way out of the ghetto and into wealth? It's the systems fault that Asian Americans, who were poorer than dirt and suffered discrimination, have the highest average income in this country? Or did the white folks rigged the system in our favor?

Take some responsibility and put in the effort. America offers OPPORTUNITY and the right to PURSUE happiness , it's not guaranteed fat paycheck and happiness. This country is founded by immigrants, and those of us who are recent arrivals still fully understand what it means, but too many who were born here are now feeling they are entitled to it.

Last edited:
Wow that's a lot of taxes. I ran the annual salary of $150k through paycheckcity and it also came up with "SDI" $939.40 per yr. Is that State Disability Insurance something extra the employee has to pay?

So if you add on Social Security and Medicare:
SDI $939.40
Social Security $7,347
Medicare $2,175

Total tax bill: $54,165 :eek: Ouch!

I'm in Florida and last year with an AGI of $114k (does not include 401k) I paid around:

$20,000 federal tax
no state income tax
disability insurance paid by employer
$7,254 SS
$1,800 Medicare
Total tax bill: $29,054

So I guess I shouldn't complain.

Yup that is right. An extra $1 k for state disability insurance. Profit from investment is taxed at regular state income tax so that is an extra 9%, in addition to federal capital gain tax.

However property tax is only 1.1-1.2% per year.

Wait, it's the systems fault that my family worked and studied our way out of the ghetto and into wealth? It's the systems fault that Asian Americans, who were poorer than dirt and suffered discrimination, have the highest average income in this country? Or did the white folks rigged the system in our favor?

Take some responsibility and put in the effort. America offers OPPORTUNITY and the right to PURSUE happiness , it's not guaranteed fat paycheck and happiness. This country is founded by immigrants, and those of us who are recent arrivals still fully understand what it means, but too many who were born here are now feeling they are entitled to it.

6.8% student loans.......

Thats all the proof I need the middle class is being taken advantage of.

I can buy a freaking mattress right now for 0% for 6 years. The nerve.

6.8% student loans.......

Thats all the proof I need the middle class is being taken advantage of.

I can buy a freaking mattress right now for 0% for 6 years. The nerve.

Try to get 200 k unsecured loan, 6.8% interest rate, no credit check. Not happening.

Reactions: 1 user
That would be one hell of a mattress.

I can't believe this guy compared a mattress to student loans LOL

If you don't pay for your mattress, they will go after your credit score and ruin it so it is much better to pay for the mattress.

If you have 200 k in student loan debt and cant find a job, what option do you have? your credit score is the least of your worries.

It's the systems fault the worker has been set up to fail via lack of skills, education, the like.

If you can't make it here, where can you really make it? I never get into this employee vs employer argument. There is no point.

As an employee, my health is the most important thing. I am not going to work my butt off and put my health at risk so my employer can make an extra buck or two. I do more than the average guy and go home when my time is up.

As an employer, my goal is to keep on growing. What I put in is what I get in return. The reward is much greater so I don't mind giving it all. It's worth it.

I never blame anybody. I don't expect anyone to help me and I certainly don't expect anything from my government, except to get out of my way....wow i am starting to sound like a republician!

Just know the vast majorty of millionaires in this country are self-made. They didn't inherite their money. They did it the old fashion way. No excuse...that's my motto.

Members don't see this ad :)
1.2% on properties 3x the price though.

Yeah but have you lived around the coastal cities of California? There is virtually no place like it. Awesome weather throughout the year. Diversity. Great food. Educated people. You can go to the mountain in the morning and snowboard and then go to the beach in the evening and hang around a bonfire with your friends. Where in the world can you do this?

Just know the vast majorty of millionaires in this country are self-made. They didn't inherite their money. They did it the old fashion way. No excuse...that's my motto.

Right on. There was an article on CNN showing that 2/3 of the people worth more than $30 mil are self-made first generation, especially among the men. It means, the better of the poor folks do move up, and dumber of the rich folks also do lose their place, as it should be.

Last edited:
Yeah but have you lived around the coastal cities of California? There is virtually no place like it. Awesome weather throughout the year. Diversity. Great food. Educated people. You can go to the mountain in the morning and snowboard and then go to the beach in the evening and hang around a bonfire with your friends. Where in the world can you do this?

Not a big outdoorsman, so weather doesn't do much for me. As for diversity, food and educated people, I got those In spades here, and I guess most college town USA would. So it's whether the weather is worth that property price to an individual, or more importantly, where your job takes you.

Last edited:
However property tax is only 1.1-1.2% per year.
I pay $4,450 property tax on a house with a market value of $375k, so that's 1.2% as well. Mostly because of all the homestead exemptions I get. It's a pretty nice house too, 2,750 sq.ft, lakefront, and pretty much everywhere in Florida is near the beach except Orlando.

... pretty much everywhere in Florida is near the beach except Orlando.

This is good. The bad thing is the complete lack of (natural) mountains. If I want to go hiking my only option is a former garbage dump. That's really the only thing I miss after I moved down here. That and seeing the leaves change during autumn. This is partially balanced by having lunch and drinks on the beach in January.

Yup, SDI is state disability, which I believe also pays for paid family leave/new child bonding (California pays for 6 weeks of new child bonding -- maternal and paternal; I think pregnancy leave is like 12 weeks, more if certified by a physician).

Which is still woefully inadequate when you look at our European counterparts, but better than zero. Tons and tons of companies in the Bay Area exceed this, though. I think Google and Facebook provide 1 year paid leave for new babies, maternal and paternal.

Im not saying student loans are like buying a mattress...Im just commenting on how loan the market is driving intrest rates and how student loans that are a tool for upward mobility has not decreased similarly.

These are loans that cannot be discharged, will be taken from your income or SS or whatever they can. Grduate loans are very low risk, and yet they are equivalent to a rate of a 19 year old buying their first car.

Anyway, wont effect me in the grand scheme of things. Congress is going to have to find someone else to get 6.8% from in a few years.

If you have 200 k in student loan debt and cant find a job, what option do you have? your credit score is the least of your worries.

This was the mentality with upside down mortgages and credit scores. During the crisis, trashed credit scores, which normally scare people, seemed like the better option.

Owe $750k on a house now worth $250k? People traded in $500k in forgiven debt w/ no tax bomb due for a 3 year lock out of the housing market & mediocre credit scores for 3-4 years. Good trade, IMO.