How do you motivate yourself to study for stupid classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Soooo...I'm taking this stupid computer science class that is easy and pointless. I'm only taking it because I need it for my major. (It hardly applies.)

I need to study terms for it and stuff but I'd rather watch paint dry (or shoot myself in the head.)

It's one thing to study for hard but interesting classes, but how do you motivate yourself to study for crappy, should-be-easy classes that mean nothing to you?

- Brooklyn

Members don't see this ad.

Take some real computer science classes. Those will be interesting, and won't be easy. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

Soooo...I'm taking this stupid computer science class that is easy and pointless.

- Brooklyn

Well if its such an easy class why do you worry about studying? Plus, wouldn't the purpose of getting an easy A in such a class would be such motivator to study those stupid easy terms? :rolleyes:

Well if its such an easy class why do you worry about studying? Plus, wouldn't the purpose of getting an easy A in such a class would be such motivator to study those stupid easy terms? :rolleyes:

You'd think...but trust me. When I'm choosing between going out with some friends tonight and reviewing the difference between RAM and a hard drive for a midterm Monday...it's a tough choice.

It's easy, just go out with your friends, and talk about RAM and hard drive while you're out.

I just remember it affects my GPA. Hence, I care!
Exactly. No matter how irrelevant a course is to medicine (95% of the classes you'll take) you need to see that class as something that will help you get into med school. Without it and other "unnecessary" courses, you wouldn't be able to get in. Maybe it would be best to not see it as a "boring" course, but just another neutral course that you need to take.

PRIDE. I may not study as much as I do for biology classes, but I still do well because I don't like to fail.

Easy classes = Easy A's
Easy A's = Higher GPA
Higher GPA = Better chance at going to Med School
Going to Med School = Becoming a doctor
Becoming a doctor = Saving lives

so by the transitive property vested in me...

Easy classes = Save Lives

I don't take Sociology 2, Various Topics in Sociology- 1 unit, to learn about cult formation or class conflicts. I take it to save lives.

Last edited:
Easy classes = Easy A's
Easy A's = Higher GPA
Higher GPA = Better chance at going to Med School
Going to Med School = Becoming a doctor
Becoming a doctor = Saving lives

so by the transitive property vested in me...

Easy classes = Save Lives

I don't take Sociology 2, Various Topics in Sociology- 1 unit, to learn about cult formation or class conflicts. I take it to save lives.

HAHA!! Fantastic!! And here is my new motivational go-to!! Thanks!! :thumbup:

I get my A and move on with my life.

For the easy stupid classes (like intro to art, where I have to memorize a million painting's names and time period) I simply wait until two days before the exam. On the first of the two days I make a study guide, after that I play video games. The second day (day before the exam) I just cram all the information from the study guide until I know it all then play video games. Then I do the same thing on test day, and by then I have all the information to make an A.

I know this isn't a way to stay motivated, but it's a way to deal with these dumb classes while using as little amount of time as possible.

To stay motivated, imagine how much your gpa will be hurt if you got a B. That's scary to me.

Hey everyone!

Soooo...I'm taking this stupid computer science class that is easy and pointless. I'm only taking it because I need it for my major. (It hardly applies.)

I need to study terms for it and stuff but I'd rather watch paint dry (or shoot myself in the head.)

It's one thing to study for hard but interesting classes, but how do you motivate yourself to study for crappy, should-be-easy classes that mean nothing to you?

- Brooklyn

Youll be forced to learn stupid material pretty much at every point in your education - it doesnt stop in medical school. Youll be told to know something and youll think "WHY THE f*** DO I NEED TO KNOW THIS?" But it wont matter. You just have to learn it. But there is good news. Grades don't mean **** in med school. Lots of schools are P/F, some have honors but even that doesnt matter for must studetns, so that means if there is somethign that you think is BS and you wont need to know - just dont learn it. Sacrifice those points on the test. If you have studied hard and know the relevant stuff well, those points you will miss on the BS stuff you were told to learn won't matter. I find myself doing this a lot. Its quite nice. For now, you just have to suck it up and learn it for the sake of doing well in school. Thats why you should take classes you enjoy if at all possible. Only classes I felt the way you do were the pre med requirements.

For the easy stupid classes (like intro to art, where I have to memorize a million painting's names and time period) I simply wait until two days before the exam. On the first of the two days I make a study guide, after that I play video games. The second day (day before the exam) I just cram all the information from the study guide until I know it all then play video games. Then I do the same thing on test day, and by then I have all the information to make an A.

I know this isn't a way to stay motivated, but it's a way to deal with these dumb classes while using as little amount of time as possible.

To stay motivated, imagine how much your gpa will be hurt if you got a B. That's scary to me.

This is actually EXACTLY what I usually do (sans video games). =)