About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

How do you motivate yourself to study for stupid classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by roseglass6370, Oct 31, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. roseglass6370

roseglass6370 Are we there yet?

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey everyone!

Soooo...I'm taking this stupid computer science class that is easy and pointless. I'm only taking it because I need it for my major. (It hardly applies.)

I need to study terms for it and stuff but I'd rather watch paint dry (or shoot myself in the head.)

It's one thing to study for hard but interesting classes, but how do you motivate yourself to study for crappy, should-be-easy classes that mean nothing to you?

- Brooklyn
  2. softmed

softmed

Medical Student
    This topic is a winner.
  3. FluffyRabbit

FluffyRabbit

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Take some real computer science classes. Those will be interesting, and won't be easy. :)
  4. MexicanDr

MexicanDr

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well if its such an easy class why do you worry about studying? Plus, wouldn't the purpose of getting an easy A in such a class would be such motivator to study those stupid easy terms? :rolleyes:
  5. roseglass6370

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    You'd think...but trust me. When I'm choosing between going out with some friends tonight and reviewing the difference between RAM and a hard drive for a midterm Monday...it's a tough choice.
  6. J DUB

J DUB Watch my TAN walk!! Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA SDN 7+ Year Member
    I just remember it affects my GPA. Hence, I care!
  7. BlueElmo

BlueElmo

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    It's easy, just go out with your friends, and talk about RAM and hard drive while you're out.
  8. ILikeDrugs

ILikeDrugs pre-attending

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Exactly. No matter how irrelevant a course is to medicine (95% of the classes you'll take) you need to see that class as something that will help you get into med school. Without it and other "unnecessary" courses, you wouldn't be able to get in. Maybe it would be best to not see it as a "boring" course, but just another neutral course that you need to take.
  9. just one

just one

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    PRIDE. I may not study as much as I do for biology classes, but I still do well because I don't like to fail.
  10. anonymousername

anonymousername

Easy classes = Easy A's
    Easy A's = Higher GPA
    Higher GPA = Better chance at going to Med School
    Going to Med School = Becoming a doctor
    Becoming a doctor = Saving lives

so by the transitive property vested in me...

Easy classes = Save Lives

I don't take Sociology 2, Various Topics in Sociology- 1 unit, to learn about cult formation or class conflicts. I take it to save lives.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  11. roseglass6370

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    HAHA!! Fantastic!! And here is my new motivational go-to!! Thanks!! :thumbup:
  12. FloatOn

FloatOn

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I get my A and move on with my life.
  13. BlitzSleep

BlitzSleep Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    For the easy stupid classes (like intro to art, where I have to memorize a million painting's names and time period) I simply wait until two days before the exam. On the first of the two days I make a study guide, after that I play video games. The second day (day before the exam) I just cram all the information from the study guide until I know it all then play video games. Then I do the same thing on test day, and by then I have all the information to make an A.

I know this isn't a way to stay motivated, but it's a way to deal with these dumb classes while using as little amount of time as possible.

To stay motivated, imagine how much your gpa will be hurt if you got a B. That's scary to me.
  14. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Youll be forced to learn stupid material pretty much at every point in your education - it doesnt stop in medical school. Youll be told to know something and youll think "WHY THE f*** DO I NEED TO KNOW THIS?" But it wont matter. You just have to learn it. But there is good news. Grades don't mean sh*t in med school. Lots of schools are P/F, some have honors but even that doesnt matter for must studetns, so that means if there is somethign that you think is BS and you wont need to know - just dont learn it. Sacrifice those points on the test. If you have studied hard and know the relevant stuff well, those points you will miss on the BS stuff you were told to learn won't matter. I find myself doing this a lot. Its quite nice. For now, you just have to suck it up and learn it for the sake of doing well in school. Thats why you should take classes you enjoy if at all possible. Only classes I felt the way you do were the pre med requirements.
  15. roseglass6370

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    This is actually EXACTLY what I usually do (sans video games). =)