How do you plan to....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just one

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While this may be premature, how do you imagine telling your spouse, parents, loved ones that you have been accepted into medical school? Will it be all serious, or has anybody thought of an originally funny/comical way of breaking the news?

Members don't see this ad.

Facebook status update.

Mattabet is: accepted to medical school.

Last edited:
Ill have a lot more fun rubbing my acceptance letter in the peoples faces who didnt think I would get into med school lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll probably just have a stupid grin on that gives it away

I told my mom about my MCAT score (37) over the phone. She's a nurse so the next thing she did was go and tell all the doctors on her floor...apparently I did better than most of them : )

I think she's taken a lot of crap from doctors...

I told my mom about my MCAT score (37) over the phone. She's a nurse so the next thing she did was go and tell all the doctors on her floor...apparently I did better than most of them : )

I think she's taken a lot of crap from doctors...

my mom was the same way with my mcat score. I didn't do as well as you but I'm pretty sure she told everyone she saw including people who have no idea what a good score actually is.

I'll probably just put the acceptance letter on the refrigerator and wait for someone to say something.

Stage 1: I will jump for joy when i find out and high five the closest person to me :highfive:

Stage 2: I will tell my family members by phone :D

Stage 3: I will join my new school's network on facebook! :soexcited:

Facebook status and see how many people comment on it. :thumbup:

I'll probably drop everything and call my mom, dad and boyfriend. Then I'll probably group text about 50 people who may or may not really care lol

While this may be premature, how do you imagine telling your spouse, parents, loved ones that you have been accepted into medical school? Will it be all serious, or has anybody thought of an originally funny/comical way of breaking the news?

I showed my parents the application status screen on my laptop and didn't say a word until they all realized what they were looking at. Afterward, I didn't post it all over Facebook because I wanted to tell the rest of my family in person; some of my relatives would have seen the news on Facebook and ruined my opportunity to tell the grandparents myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call my mom and dad and let them know. Then my mom will probably spread the news everywhere.

I'd be too excited to try to do something sneaky or clever. I'll probably yell it to all my roommates, and then call my boyfriend (if i can), then call my parents, and then i'll definitely post it as my facebook status. Gotta make it facebook official. :thumbup: Besides, who doesn't want to brag to everyone they know when they get in? I can't really upset anyone because I don't have any pre-med friends! :smuggrin:

Oh, after letting my parents know, I gotta post on SDN and let my fellow Class of 2014 know.:D

If I do decide to pursue med school instead of pharmacy I will definitely send the letter to all the teachers who thought I would never make anything of myself in high school. Vindictive? Definitely. Personally rewarding? Certainly!!!!

After I got my letter of acceptance and made sure everyone in listening distance (aka my roommates) knew I was going to be a doctor, I called my dad and broke him the news that I had gotten a letter back from a school I interviewed at, but did it in a very monotone, unenthusiastic voice. He was kinda worried as I was reading the letter to him, since only at the end did it explicitly say I was accepted. I'm surprised he didn't get upset at me for leading him along until the end like that :D

If I do decide to pursue med school instead of pharmacy I will definitely send the letter to all the teachers who thought I would never make anything of myself in high school. Vindictive? Definitely. Personally rewarding? Certainly!!!!

Part of me really wants to do that to one of my geology professors. I spent an entire semester visiting his office hours and trying to get to know him in hopes he'd write me a LOR. When I asked he said no because it was for med school and not for geology grad school or law school. He said that med school LORs require "too much effort", but if I had been doing law school he would have done it because theirs are easy. BS

FB, LJ, SDN.

Also, faking a(nother) reject letter for the people in person. :rolleyes:

I got a call I was accepted and no one would answer their phone. I talked to one person. When I told my parents they said, "Oh, that's the school in VA, right? I thought you wanted to be closer to home?" Then when I got into PCOM they were actually elated, haha.

I got a call I was accepted and no one would answer their phone. I talked to one person. When I told my parents they said, "Oh, that's the school in VA, right? I thought you wanted to be closer to home?" Then when I got into PCOM they were actually elated, haha.
That's because you got into a DO school. :smuggrin: jk

That's because you got into a DO school. :smuggrin: jk

low blow lol
i think i will buy one of those nike parachute training things, paint the schools name on the outside, and run around my 50k person campus before hugging a certain football coaching legend :cool:

I called my dad and broke him the news that I had gotten a letter back from a school I interviewed at, but did it in a very monotone, unenthusiastic voice. He was kinda worried as I was reading the letter to him, since only at the end did it explicitly say I was accepted.

:thumbup:

But I think first I'd go to the nearest fast-food place and eat a bunch of burgers, fries, mozzarella sticks, and generally anything else with >50% fat content. Yum!

I would take a big honkin laser and burn the news right into the moon!:D

im going to run around yelling "skeet skeet" on everyone and just laugh

When I get the letter/phone call, I'm going to freak out!! But I think I might tell my parents through a random dinner conversation or watching t.v. haha I'll tell my friends by calling all of them screaming I got in! :)

I actually finally told my mother the other day that I was considering switching concentrations from Pre-Pharmacy to Pre-Medical. It went something like this - bear in mind my mom is an Attorney.

"So, I might as well tell you, I'm considering switching my concentration at college."

"Oh, what made you decide to do that?"

"Well, it's basically the same course of studies, just a different outcome."

"It better not be fuc!^$@ Criminal Justice... I will kill you."

She hated me being a cop! Hahahaha.

They'll probably find out from watching the news since I'll be running naked through the streets with "ACCEPTED: GPA/MCAT score" drawn on my stomach and "SO SUCK IT" on my back.

if i get a phone call, i think i would start crying.

after freaking out in private to the adcom on the other line, i will compose myself and get on with my day as if nothing happened. from that day on, i will not call my parents, my sister, my grandparents, or tell any of my friends until one of them guesses. i will take a vow of silence until someone guesses that I have been accepted, then theyll have to guess what school. its gonna be great. :)

They'll probably find out from watching the news since I'll be running naked through the streets with "ACCEPTED: GPA/MCAT score" drawn on my stomach and "SO SUCK IT" on my back.

love it.

Celebrate with a lot of alcohol and loud music.

this is the easy question

60% will have to figure out how to tell someone that they are not going to med school next year.

Good god, my mom already told me that if i get in, i have to call her, let her know, then drive home 2 hours, so that when i get there every person in my immediate family can be there for a congratulatory party. she is a nut!

Good god, my mom already told me that if i get in, i have to call her, let her know, then drive home 2 hours, so that when i get there every person in my immediate family can be there for a congratulatory party. she is a nut!

That's what mothers are for. :)

I would barricade myself in my room and not come out for three days

And my voicemail message would say something like:

"hi! accepted medical student at this university is not available, please leave a message and I will call you back once I stop crying of joy..."

Part of me really wants to do that to one of my geology professors. I spent an entire semester visiting his office hours and trying to get to know him in hopes he'd write me a LOR. When I asked he said no because it was for med school and not for geology grad school or law school. He said that med school LORs require "too much effort", but if I had been doing law school he would have done it because theirs are easy. BS

What a douche bag.

I imagine I'll find out while I'm at home, so I'll be screaming and bouncing around. Then I'll update my facebook status, and then I'll just walk around with a huge grin on my face for a couple weeks. It'll help that some of the nurses I work with will ask, and then brag about me to all their patients. They do that already and I'm not even in yet.

Well, I'd probably crap my pants out of sheer excitement. I guess the stain will be my I GOT INTO MED SCHOOL sign.

I'd like to think I would come up with some sneaky plan of foolery, but sadly I must admit that I would likely run around my apartment bouncing off the walls with excitement- most likely with more energy then the first time I had coffee. - which was extremely intense. XD
Then after I had calmed myself and embraced the nearest person with a hug I would call my mom - my heart would be pounding out of my chest by this point and then my mom would pick up and I would try to act all cool for the first few seconds but burst either in a rush of words or tears of joy - my mom strangely has the ability to make me cry when I'm overjoyed or very upset and have been holding it in.
After the phone call Fb status updates to share the love and then a blog post and sdn. XD
OH I can't wait for the day.:D

I would burn all my MCAT books. :smuggrin:

I lived 2000 miles away from my folks, so I just called them. What I did with my gf was invite her over for dinner and then tell her that I had a couple videos on my laptop that I wanted her to watch. The first two were just collegehumor videos, but the third was the acceptance email with the accepted part highlighted. When she turned around I had a bottle of bubbly waiting.

I lived 2000 miles away from my folks, so I just called them. What I did with my gf was invite her over for dinner and then tell her that I had a couple videos on my laptop that I wanted her to watch. The first two were just collegehumor videos, but the third was the acceptance email with the accepted part highlighted. When she turned around I had a bottle of bubbly waiting.

Please tell me you got an acceptance lay...