About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

how do you reduce a benzene ring to a cyclohexane?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by BoneMental, May 20, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. BoneMental

BoneMental

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Is it possible to do? What are the various ways?

Can't you use Pt/H2? Or Ni/H2? I tried looking this up on google and all I got was some weird forum in Britain....
  2. malpractician

malpractician

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yes, it's called hydrogenation. Just about any Ochem textbook should have clear examples on this.

Pt/h2 and Pd/h2 are the common ones, there's others like Lindlar that take triple bonds to double bonds.
  3. BoneMental

BoneMental

Pre-Medical

Thanks dude! I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure.
  4. Cool Beans

Cool Beans

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Be careful on this one. If you simply add H2/Pt like with an alkene, benzene doesn't react due to its stability (since it's aromatic). The rxn still needs a catalyst (Pt, Pd, Ni, etc.) but only works if the pressure of H2 is really high (like 1500 psi).
  5. dreamer67

dreamer67

SDN 2+ Year Member
    you use H2 Rh/C catalyst. I don't believe you need to know this for the MCAT though. Aromatics are no longer an official AAMC topic