how do you reduce a benzene ring to a cyclohexane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneMental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do? What are the various ways?

Can't you use Pt/H2? Or Ni/H2? I tried looking this up on google and all I got was some weird forum in Britain....

Members don't see this ad.

yes, it's called hydrogenation. Just about any Ochem textbook should have clear examples on this.

Pt/h2 and Pd/h2 are the common ones, there's others like Lindlar that take triple bonds to double bonds.

yes, it's called hydrogenation. Just about any Ochem textbook should have clear examples on this.

Pt/h2 and Pd/h2 are the common ones, there's others like Lindlar that take triple bonds to double bonds.

Thanks dude! I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure.

Be careful on this one. If you simply add H2/Pt like with an alkene, benzene doesn't react due to its stability (since it's aromatic). The rxn still needs a catalyst (Pt, Pd, Ni, etc.) but only works if the pressure of H2 is really high (like 1500 psi).

you use H2 Rh/C catalyst. I don't believe you need to know this for the MCAT though. Aromatics are no longer an official AAMC topic