how do you state your place of residency training on your CV if you're an intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visibility

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

Quick and very specific question. I am a PGY-1 and my residency will begin in July at a separate institution.

I need to send an updated version of my CV to someone. Since I haven't started residency yet, is it inappropriate for me to include it somehow on my resume? (I would ideally like to).

Should I just include it with my future dates of training, or do I need to include some sort of caveat?

Anyway, just wanted to check out some ideas and see how you are all doing this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're confusing two terms: "residency training," when used like that, usually means postgraduate training. Even though you're an intern now, you're colloquially referred to as a resident. However I think it's extremely appropriate to list your matched advanced residency spot as well. Something like this:

Education and Training
(2004-2008): MD, School of Medicine
(2008-2009): Medicine Internship, Hospital XYZ
(2009-2013): Anesthesiology/Neurology/PM&R/Radiology/Etc Residency, Hospital ABC

Much like on your undergraduate medical resume when you wrote "MD Candidate, School of Medicine (Expected May, 2008)"

I think its important to let anyone who needs a CV from you know what your plans are - to start a new residency program in July - only because they probably need your CV for something work related and you ought to let people know you will be leaving in July, in all fairness to them.

I also think putting your PGY 1 experience on the CV is certainly justified.

I think the whole MD or DO candidate phrase is BS. People are Ph.D candidates but nobody is a MD candidate - unless they are currently in medical school I guess. The reason is a Ph.D is a candidate because they are working on their Ph.D at the time. When you are in undergrad you are NOT in an MD program. A Ph.D candidate is IN their doctorate program at the time.

So yeah, putting your PGY1 training is legit you are doing it and you are through the worst part - dark dreary hard part of the year, it now gets literally sunny and everything cheers up. Its down hill for you from this part out. And letting them know you will be leaving for new stomping grounds in July is fair to them.

But I can be a "candidate" for all sorts of imagined future adventures , all of which may or may not happen. Congratulations on your upcoming advanced training by the way.

I

I think the whole MD or DO candidate phrase is BS. People are Ph.D candidates but nobody is a MD candidate - unless they are currently in medical school I guess. The reason is a Ph.D is a candidate because they are working on their Ph.D at the time. When you are in undergrad you are NOT in an MD program. A Ph.D candidate is IN their doctorate program at the time. .

Doowai, that's why I said undergraduate medical education. As opposed to postgraduate. Meaning, in medical school at the time.