How do you use flashcards to study for the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kemosabe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made flashcards for keys of each topic and have been going through them every day to reinforce things, but this slows down my studying (reviewing new material and doing problems using the schedule/plans posted here) a lot since there's so many flashcards I made >_<. How do you use flashcards for studying for the mcat and what could I do instead? With the mcat there's so much little material to know and it's easy to forget some of it without reinforcement. Any recommendations?

There's got to be a smarter and more efficient way of studying for the mcat than what i'm doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I only use flashcards for things that I feel must be memorized and are difficult to commit to memory. Are you making them for things that are obvious or things that you already know?

Hormones, amino acids, certain reactions. I'll probably make some for a few of the equations and psych term too

I made physical flashcards but then decided to use Anki instead. There were a few decks already made relevant to the MCAT, but I made my own.

I follow Next steps method, and make flash cards as I read through my second pass on a book (I use quizlet to make them) and I also have a word document of lessons learned. The list keeps getting longer, however I've committed many items to memory now that I wouldn't have otherwise. The lessons learned part is more useful than straight flash cards.

Reactions: 1 user
I only use flashcards for things that I feel must be memorized and are difficult to commit to memory. Are you making them for things that are obvious or things that you already know?

Hormones, amino acids, certain reactions. I'll probably make some for a few of the equations and psych term too

I made physical flashcards but then decided to use Anki instead. There were a few decks already made relevant to the MCAT, but I made my own.

I make it a mix of stuff I know with new information. Like I'm going through study books and I'll do a flashcard for a general concept with an example, some specifics about it, for each particular topic. I'll also put most key terms on flashcards, and some practice problems with explanations. I end up with a ton of flashcards because there's so much information on the mcat and there's a lot of little topics that I could easily see myself forgetting. This slows me down a ton though bc I make so many flashcards.