How does a football goal work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrisz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am not a fan of football and actually know nothing of the football game. I was doing a passage about kicking a football goal. Even though I got the questions right, I am still confused how you score and fail a football goal. I know football is very popular in the U.S, the exam maker could make some questions based on it. Can you guys help me go through the rules

Members don't see this ad.

No, it is not a joke. I was not born in the U.S. I came to the U.S. at a young age, but i never got into the football game

Members don't see this ad :)
I see :) Then I think you shouldn't be worried about such details. I'm pretty sure that those who design the MCAT write the questions for everyone, including those who don't like/watch sports. Good luck!

Agreed ^^. It is impossible to gain trivial knowledge about everything in the world, so when they give you stuff like this it is just filler/background information. But, FWIW, in American football there is a goal post that looks like a tuning fork. The kicker has to kick the football in between the goal posts in order to score.

Agreed ^^. It is impossible to gain trivial knowledge about everything in the world, so when they give you stuff like this it is just filler/background information. But, FWIW, in American football there is a goal post that looks like a tuning fork. The kicker has to kick the football in between the goal posts in order to score.
Thanks. So what you mean is that as long as it is in between the vertical poles, you get a score, no matter ball flies really high and passes the height of the two vertical poles? Am I right?

I totally get you OP. The football problems always bothered me a lot when I was taking physics in high school (moved here when I was 15).