How does delaying entry look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorfann14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a similar post has been made recently, but my situation is a little different. How do you think admissions committees would feel about a student rejecting multiple acceptances and delaying entry to medical school for a while to serve in the military? I am currently considering whether joining the military would have an adverse effect on my desire to be a physician in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you having second thoughts about med school and becoming a physician in general?

What about military medicine and enlist after you start school?

I was wondering the exact same thing. If he wants to join Tue military, he'll start off as an officer in HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a similar post has been made recently, but my situation is a little different. How do you think admissions committees would feel about a student rejecting multiple acceptances and delaying entry to medical school for a while to serve in the military? I am currently considering whether joining the military would have an adverse effect on my desire to be a physician in the future.

Any AdCom memeber will automatically admire you for wanting to serve your country, but, you can easily do the same by going to med school first, and then the military. Otherwise, we would indeed question your commitment to Medicine.

I am a 6 year veteran (enlisted) of the Army National Guard, and am graduating and being commissioned as an officer in May. I am in a Special Forces unit and want to remain there, just not ready to serve as a doc in the Army yet.

I was accepted to med school in October, but have close to 11 months of military training to complete before med school starts, so I called the school and was required to write a letter stating my situation and wishes.

Now, I have been deferred from the class of 2015 to the class of 2016 and will report to Fort Benning in July and will be done training a month or so before school starts in August 2012.

So, it is my experience that if you know exactly what you want and a have a clear and concise plan for achieving that AND it fits into your goal of attending med school, then yes, you can get what you want.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not questioning my commitment to medicine. I have always wanted to and will always plan on becoming a physician, but I have always wanted to serve as a special forces soldier as well. While I know that many people wish to be in my position, in that I have multiple acceptances and I am very grateful for my position, I know that it is possible to attend medical school when I am a little older, but my athletic abilities will deteriorate making serving as a combat soldier impossible in the future. Its a tough decision and if serving means that I would be unable to become a physician I would most likely not serve. I just know that the wars of today are not fought by the average soldiers, but that they are fought by the special forces. These groups are not easy to become a part of and I believe that I am more than willing and capable, so it is my duty to try and protect the freedoms and lives that Americans enjoy. Sorry for the long response this was just a little insight into my thoughts.

You need to look into the Florida Army National Guard, the 20th SFG has units there. You can get everything you want.

You need to find a recruiter and discuss your wishes and your acceptances to med school.

You can email me for more specifics if you please.

I am a 6 year veteran (enlisted) of the Army National Guard, and am graduating and being commissioned as an officer in May. I am in a Special Forces unit and want to remain there, just not ready to serve as a doc in the Army yet.

I was accepted to med school in October, but have close to 11 months of military training to complete before med school starts, so I called the school and was required to write a letter stating my situation and wishes.

Now, I have been deferred from the class of 2015 to the class of 2016 and will report to Fort Benning in July and will be done training a month or so before school starts in August 2012.

So, it is my experience that if you know exactly what you want and a have a clear and concise plan for achieving that AND it fits into your goal of attending med school, then yes, you can get what you want.

Good luck.

Thank you for serving your country and for dedicating yourself to becoming SF, also thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not questioning my commitment to medicine. I have always wanted to and will always plan on becoming a physician, but I have always wanted to serve as a special forces soldier as well. While I know that many people wish to be in my position, in that I have multiple acceptances and I am very grateful for my position, I know that it is possible to attend medical school when I am a little older, but my athletic abilities will deteriorate making serving as a combat soldier impossible in the future. Its a tough decision and if serving means that I would be unable to become a physician I would most likely not serve. I just know that the wars of today are not fought by the average soldiers, but that they are fought by the special forces. These groups are not easy to become a part of and I believe that I am more than willing and capable, so it is my duty to try and protect the freedoms and lives that Americans enjoy. Sorry for the long response this was just a little insight into my thoughts.

Talk to a HPSP recruiter. When I spoke with them (a few yrs ago) they talked about being able to go to jump school etc. There are bound to "exciting" paths as a military doc, assuming you actually want those and are not just interested in having the military pay for tuition.