How does letter of intent work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zempa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the specifics of this? I interviewed the other day at one of my top choices and would almost undoubtedly go there if accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the specifics of this? I interviewed the other day at one of my top choices and would almost undoubtedly go there if accepted

You write them and say that it's your top choice and that you will attend it over all other acceptances if you get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but I would imagine it's highly unethical to tell a school that you will attend if accepted, and then go somewhere else. It's just a way to let a school know they're your #1 choice. Whether or not they actually take that into consideration is up for discussion..

is it binding?

I read from a LizzyM post that essentially no school is that hard-pressed over 1 student that they'd really be pissed if you turned down an acceptance post-letter of intent.

I read from a LizzyM post that essentially no school is that hard-pressed over 1 student that they'd really be pissed if you turned down an acceptance post-letter of intent.

Interesting. Yeah, that makes sense.

No, but I would imagine it's highly unethical to tell a school that you will attend if accepted, and then go somewhere else. It's just a way to let a school know they're your #1 choice. Whether or not they actually take that into consideration is up for discussion..

This. It's your choice if you want to be bound by your word, it isn't LEGALLY binding.

should this be e-mailed or mailed in?

Personally I would save the Letter of Intent card and play it if you get waitlisted at your top choice. At some schools, Columbia comes to mind, it can be very helpful in getting you off the waitlist.

Personally I would save the Letter of Intent card and play it if you get waitlisted at your top choice. At some schools, Columbia comes to mind, it can be very helpful in getting you off the waitlist.

it is my top choice, i interviewed several days ago, so I'd love to just get in there and be done with the whole process

and besides if i send them this letter and they reject me can I send it again to another school?

it is my top choice, i interviewed several days ago, so I'd love to just get in there and be done with the whole process

and besides if i send them this letter and they reject me can I send it again to another school?

Yes, after all you won't be getting an offer there so its not a lie to say "over all other offers."

So how exactly should it be constructed?
Just one or two sentences saying you've always wanted to attend and that you would be super-devoted and hard working if you got the chance to attend?

Anything else?

This. It's your choice if you want to be bound by your word, it isn't LEGALLY binding.
No kidding it's not legally binding, but what individual would write a letter of intent and then back out?.?.?... only those who lack moral judgment and/or class. IMO if you write a letter of intent, you had better be 100% positive that this is something you are committed to. It's the mature/only way to handle the LOI, never mind the legality of it.