How does longitudinal Peds work at your program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emurgency

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does your program facilitate longitudinal peds shifts? Looking for ideas to improve the way we do it (random peds shifts intermittently throughout the year)

1-2 week blocks every few months? Other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

We do random peds shifts with every EM block as well as dedicated Peds EM blocks.

1 mth dedicated peds first yr. 3 to 4 shifts every ED month in second and third year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two months dedicated first year, one month second and third year. Plus, a few shifts every ED block. I'm a fan.

My program see about 15% peds at baseline in the ED. We have a peds floor that takes pretty much everything by PICU pts. Those get shipped out to a Children's Hospital 2 hours down the road.

We do go down to said Children's hospital for a month during our 3rd year.

We see kids in all the EDs in my program, plus dedicated peds ED blocks (4).

Based on your question, I'm guessing there are no peds patients (for the most part) in your main ED.
I'm not a big fan of the random 1-2 shifts a block for longitudinal experience.
It seems these shifts are spent trying to remember how to get stuff done in an unfamiliar environment.
I'd rather see a week at a time multiple times a year.
I think more learning about patient care can occur that way.

Dedicated 1 months blocks each year at one of the 2 dedicated Peds ED in our area. Then 30% peds shifts during ED months

One month PGY 1, few shifts every ED block in all years, PICU, and then peds trauma activations during trauma.

Lots of peds at my program:

About 3 months at a pure community peds ED.

Longitudinal, scattered shifts at ye olde ivory tower peds hospital ED throughout residency.

Peds are mixed with adults at one of our main sites.

Picu month.

If you can find a community peds ED site with decent acuity I'd try hard to scoop it up and work it into your program.

I