How does my school list look? Am I applying to the right target, reach, and safeties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nammynachado

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 3.785 cGPA, and a 3.798 sGPA. I am a senior at the University of Maryland, and I hope to raise those both to 3.8 with 15 credits for my last semester. I am a white male who lives in Maryland.
My MCAT: 38 (13/13/12 BS)
Clinical: ED Scribe, since May, hopefully 2000 hours by the time I apply. Around 40 hours of scribing various specialities.
Research: Nothing major, worked a summer in an Alzheimer's lab and presented a poster, but no publications.
Leadership: President, then new member educator, of a fraternity.
Volunteer: ~40 hours at a trafficked women's shelter, hopefully more by the time I apply.
I should have strong letters. 2 from science professors, 1 non-science, 1 from my research mentor, 1 from the Interfraternity Council leader, 1 from an MD at my scribe hospital.

Okay, so here's my schools list. I pretty much cut out schools that were above $80,000 (including cost of living) on the MSAR, because frankly, I don't have that kind of money. There are plenty of schools that cost less than that. I've divided them into reach, target, and safety (disclaimer: I know no med school is a guarantee or even likely. It's just these schools are more likely to accept me than others, that's all. Not saying I'll get in).
I prefer east coast schools 100%.

REACH
John's Hopkins
Columbia
Penn
Michigan-Ann Arbor
Pitt
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Cornell

TARGET
University of Maryland
Brown
Ohio State
Texas Schools-my mom attended medical school here and I have family in Texas, so hopefully that helps
Einstein
Loyola
Wake Forest
BU
Baylor
NYMC
Rutgers
Miami

SAFER
Penn State
South Carolina
VCU
GWU
Chicago Medical School (Rosalind Franklin)
Indiana

Is this a good range? Also I would love to know if one of my "safer" schools is impossible to get in, as well as my target schools, etc. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

EDIT: Taking a gap year, so applying in the summer for hopeful matriculation in 2016.

Yes, I think your list looks fine. You have the numbers to aim pretty high.

Perhaps try to get some more volunteering hours and some varied shadowing experience... everything else looks pretty good!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I think your list looks fine. You have the numbers to aim pretty high.

Perhaps try to get some more volunteering hours and some varied shadowing experience... everything else looks pretty good!

Thanks for the help! Just out of curiosity, are there any schools that I should consider applying to that aren't on my list? And are there any schools on my list I basically shouldn't apply to due to either OOS bias or other factors? Thanks.

I'm not too sure without current access to the MSAR. Perhaps one of the pros like @gyngyn or @Goro can help out.

You got both of the Maryland schools in there and you picked a good number to apply to. Edit: see Goro's list for other options.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure without current access to the MSAR. Perhaps one of the pros like @gyngyn or @Goro can help out.

You got both of the Maryland schools in there and you picked a good number to apply to. It is, perhaps, a bit top heavy... maybe add a few schools like Albany, Buffalo, the new Michigan schools (Oakland, Western), Quinnipiac, etc.
My MSAR says: open for edits 2015-16.
Mine might be different from yours, though....

Goro's list. I'll let you deal with the cost issue. Forget TX, you do not have real ties there.

John's Hopkins
Columbia
Penn
Michigan-Ann Arbor
Pitt
NYU
U MI
U CO
U AZ
UCSD
UCLA
UCI
U VA
U KY
Louisville
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
University of Maryland
Einstein
Loyola
U Toledo
U Cincy
U So FL
Wake Forest
BU
Baylor
Miami
Tulane
VCU
EVMS
Loyola
Vanderbilt
Va Tech
Hofstra
GWU OR Gtown
USC
Dartmouth
Emory
Einstein
Mt Sinai
Harvard OR Yale

Goro's list. I'll let you deal with the cost issue. Forget TX, you do not have real ties there.

John's Hopkins
Columbia
Penn
Michigan-Ann Arbor
Pitt
NYU
U MI
U CO
U AZ
UCSD
UCLA
UCI
U VA
U KY
Louisville
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
University of Maryland
Einstein
Loyola
U Toledo
U Cincy
U So FL
Wake Forest
BU
Baylor
Miami
Tulane
VCU
EVMS
Loyola
Vanderbilt
Va Tech
Hofstra
GWU OR Gtown
USC
Dartmouth
Emory
Einstein
Mt Sinai
Harvard OR Yale
Well, that's certainly inclusive!

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need to apply to more than 20 schools, it'll just be a big waste of money. You also don't need that many safeties, aim for schools closer to your numbers.

Remove: Rutgers (you're OOS), GWU (too many apps), Brown (favors its own UG), Texas State Schools (no real ties).

Reactions: 1 users