How does one answer "Describe the concept of professionalism"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyLuke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my secondary apps and one of the essay questions I have is to describe the concept of professionalism. I am not looking for someone to give me the answer, but rather how should I approach in answering in what I think is a rather complex question. Should I give a thorough definition of what I think it is? Should I provide some sort of example or experience? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Try using this as a resource. It is a paper on Pharmacy Student Professionalism. It would be a pretty good place to start. Good Luck!

www.rci.rutgers.edu/~conpfeif/profwhitepaper.pdf

Thanks for the link! It has some interesting information on how professionalism is taught and practiced. However, I still don't know if my essay question should entirely consist of the definition of professionalism and how it is practice or if it should contain personal examples or experiences of professionalism?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am not sure, but i think that professionalism are language, behavior, act, dress, work. You might want to emphasize on those characteristics in a particular field when you describe it.

Although I don't think my credibility to answer this question is very high, here are my 2 cents just to give you some brainstorming ideas.

I would first define "professionalism" in general, academia/work terms and state my stance on what it is and how it should be practiced as my thesis. In later paragraphs, I suggest supporting that thesis with specific examples, which can be personal if you had related experiences before. The most important thing (I think) is to state WHY you think what you wrote is what "professionalism" is/should be. The way they phrased the topic is very general, but I would say, it is a persuasive essay they want, not an informative one.

I think you should describe a time when you had to be professional when you really didn't and how you controlled yourself. I think professionalism has to do with houw you handle yourself in situations.

@LuckyLuke:

Is this for the MWU supp. application?

In my essay, I did exactly as they asked... I described the CONCEPT of professionalism... the characteristics and attributes that a professional, especially a pharmacist should have. I didn't provide personal examples or experiences with my list of professional qualities though since the limit is 1500 characters (didn't have much to spare).

Hope this helps... even though it's pretty late from your original post date :oops:.