How does one choose which school will prepare better for a neurosurgery residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zingyraindrop

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fortunately I have multiple acceptances and I would like to know how I can judge which med school will prepare me the best for neuro surgery residency positions? And in what order can I rank them to bring in other factors like cost/location/teaching methods...etc. after I have ascertained their neuro strength. I am prepared to work hard.

My choices are Duke, Hawaii, Penn State, George Washington, Univ. of Miami, SUNY Syracuse. I would like to rank them in order of their strength in neuro surgery option.

So, do I look at the residency matches for example, or the affiliated hospitals, or the residency programs etc. or do the schools give preference to their own graduates for residency training. Please Guide.

Thanks for reading this long question and your guidance.

Zingy

Members don't see this ad.

i say go with duke. get involved in neuro research, and do as well as you can in school and on the boards. and keep your mind open, you may find out that you want to do something else.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006

While nearly ANY school can prepare you for a Neurosx residency (because in the end its YOU who makes the final difference not where you went to school), I would suggest choosing a medical school which also has a neurosurgery residency (I dunno maybe ALL the programs you've listed have one) - this can lead to more opportunities to meet academic neurosurgeons, etc. and the assistance they may provide in obtaining a residency or connections.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input Kimberli and NuclearRabbit.

I maynot go to Duke as they want 4yrs of fees already with them...there is no way that I can arrange that, and if finally only my hardwork counts then I can do it at a more happier, and money manageable place.

Thanks again.
Zingy

Just wonderin'...

what do you mean by the phrase, "I may not go to Duke as they want 4 years of fees already with them"? Are you implying/stating that you have to pay for all 4 years of tuition ahead of time? I'm missing something here...

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Just wonderin'...

what do you mean by the phrase, "I may not go to Duke as they want 4 years of fees already with them"? Are you implying/stating that you have to pay for all 4 years of tuition ahead of time? I'm missing something here...

he might be an international student....possibly canadian?

Well that's what I thought too...but I was under the impression that most US schools did that (and frankly, several of the schools he listed are private with high tuition fees as well...Penn State isn't any bargain in that department).

I think you're best off going to Duke. It's a very prestigious medical school, and that helps when you're applying to residencies. Of course how you do during medical school will be a much greater factor. Also, you may change your mind and want to do derm! Doing research will also help too. A program may have someone in the neurosurgery department who can help you get into a certain program by making a phone call, but I wouldn't count on this too heavily. Also, keep in mind that neurosurgery is not THAT competitive right now, at least not as competitive as orthopedics, plastic surgery, ENT, or derm.

Sorry, I was out of town (revisiting some schools to make up my mind) and did not get around to surfing the web. Thus couldn't answer any questions...but here I am and thanks for the replies.

While it is true I am an international student, only Duke has specifically asked to prepay the 4 years expected tuition. Other schools just need a statement via a financial instituiton that i can provide and will be responsible/accountable for managing my fees etc.

So, that makes a difference. I was ranking them in the following order keeping in mind the previous input from Kimberli & NuclearRabbit77.

Univ. of Miami> Syracuse> George Washington> Penn State >Duke >Hawaii.

Feel free to suggest any other ranking with respect to eventual neuro/radiology specializations. From my perspective Miami & Syracuse is on top because they subsidize the tuition and consider you in state (2nd year onwards) resp.
The next three keep the same fees for all the years. And Hawaii is last as it does not have any neuro or radiology interests for me.

Also it is true, that these fields attract me now, and i could change my mind after sampling other fields on rotations; however, I want to keep the door to these options open incase my interests remain the same.

best
Zingy

I think it is definitely worth getting in touch with the financial aid office at Duke to see how you can work around their requirement. While the other schools you mentioned are very good schools, Duke is really in a class by itself and it would be a shame to not be able to go there for financial reasons. Be sure to mention that you have other acceptances, that often pushes a school to make decisions in your favor very quickly! good luck whatever your decision, your ranking looks good to me.

Fortunately I have multiple acceptances and I would like to know how I can judge which med school will prepare me the best for neuro surgery residency positions? And in what order can I rank them to bring in other factors like cost/location/teaching methods...etc. after I have ascertained their neuro strength. I am prepared to work hard.

My choices are Duke, Hawaii, Penn State, George Washington, Univ. of Miami, SUNY Syracuse. I would like to rank them in order of their strength in neuro surgery option.

So, do I look at the residency matches for example, or the affiliated hospitals, or the residency programs etc. or do the schools give preference to their own graduates for residency training. Please Guide.

Thanks for reading this long question and your guidance.

Zingy
Schools are always interested in diversity. I do not often see someone match for the schoool they just finished at.

Schools are always interested in diversity. I do not often see someone match for the schoool they just finished at.
The OP has completed medical school, neurosurgery residency and fellowship and has probably been an attending for sometime now.

Reactions: 8 users
The OP has completed medical school, neurosurgery residency and fellowship and has probably been an attending for sometime now.
+ Probably retired by now with little neurosurgeon grandchildren.

10/10 necrobump though... I was in 5th grade playing pokemon on my gameboy when the OP was trying to make this big life decision haha holy ****ing ****

Reactions: 8 users
+ Probably retired by now with little neurosurgeon grandchildren.

10/10 necrobump though... I was in 5th grade playing pokemon on my gameboy when the OP was trying to make this big life decision haha holy ****ing ****
This thread is so old it's several years older than you were when it was posted.

Duke then Miami. Stronger home program is better for you.

You want a school with
1) A strong neurosurgery residency
2) Excellent research, with med student access
3) Friendly and supportive faculty. The kind who make calls

You'll find all these at Duke, Miami, the others are aight.

And for good measure, Step 1, LORS, Research>>>anything else. The other frufru stuff (Gold Humanism etc lulz) doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Duke then Miami. Stronger home program is better for you.

You want a school with
1) A strong neurosurgery residency
2) Excellent research, with med student access
3) Friendly and supportive faculty. The kind who make calls

You'll find all these at Duke, Miami, the others are aight.

And for good measure, Step 1, LORS, Research>>>anything else. The other frufru stuff (Gold Humanism etc lulz) doesn't matter.
I just wanted to say thank you for your reply. Yes I agree the post is old but then again I am to old for the military doctors programs. Thank You!