How does one pay for a specialty residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewNameForGoogleBot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there is no money coming in from most specialty residencies, where does it come from? I know you can get a deferral on your student loans from dental school but how do you put bread on the table? More loans I assume...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, more loans! Unless you go into GPRs or OMS, you'll be paid as a resident. Some Ortho and AEGD also paid their residents, but not many.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, more loans! Unless you go into GPRs or OMS, you'll be paid as a resident. Some Ortho and AEGD also paid their residents, but not many.

Wait did you mean unless you are OMS or GPR you will get paid? Becuase only hospital based residencies get paid, which is OMS and some GPR. This just chnaged about 2 weeks ago as congress decided to strip funding from all other residencies as they were getting paid as part of medicare.

I know that most OMFS programs and GPR programs will pay you a stipend. You may also want to look at PG programs at VA hospitals(there are only a couple) and at MAYO clinic as those have tuitions paid and you get a stipend. I am betting that those programs are pretty comeptitive though. Good luck.

Jaap:

I would say that these loans would be both Government Stafford loans as well as private loans. Now if you as a Post-doctoral student who haven't borrowed up to your total aggregate Stafford amount during your Pre-Doctoral education, then yeah, definitely Stafford loans will still be available to you for your Post-doctoral training.

I don't recall what the total aggregate amount for Stafford loan you can borrow up to is, but I think is around $250K or something like that!? Can someone look into this?

Scandalouslj:

I'm noy quite sure how that AEGM (spelling ?) funding cut will effect our dental Post-Doctoral trainings, but I'm sure it will effect it some how some way! Nonetheless, OMS and some GPR residencies will always pay their residents a stipend every year of the program!

There are some pediatric programs that give a stipend also.

Actually, from what we've been told by our aministration is that OMS and Pedo will not lose their GME funding because they have hospital based components.

As of yesterday, Endo, Ortho, and Perio residencies will cost $49K annually and AEGD will cost $25K at Penn. Those students who are currently enrolled in residency programs will continue to receive GME funding for up to 3 years, or until their program is completed (whichever comes first).

Even still, it's a sound financial investment to go ahead and spend the extra money to specialize because you will make that and much more back in the long run.