How does reapplication change your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael Ross

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a position where I would be content with getting into a medical school this coming cycle, or the following. I was wondering if applying only to the schools I'm absolutely dying to go to is a good strategy or not. If I get into one of my dream schools, awesome! If not, then that's okay too because I can apply to a broader range of schools next cycle. My main question is "Will being a reapplicant hurt my chances the second time around?"
I don't know if this is relevant to the topic but my stats are 3.9 sGPA and cGPA, 36 MCAT, FL resident...
My dream schools are
Miami, Florida Int U, UCF, USF, Florida Atlantic, Duke, Emory, UT Southwestern, Baylor... If I didn't get into any of these, I would spend another year inflating my EC's, and then apply to the same schools plus more. Good or bad strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly now (not that you will need it). Why wait till the next year to apply when you can get in now

Because I would rather wait a year and go somewhere that I'm passionate about than settle just for the sake of saving a year