HOW does someone like this stay licensed???!!!!???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Earlier today, I was perusing a major timesuck (my home state's disciplinary actions website) and I found a PDF file for a pharmacist identified as "John Doe" due to his psychiatric and substance abuse issues. There were certain clues in the writeup that almost certainly identified him as a classmate who has been in and out of trouble since we graduated more than 20 years ago (and probably before then; he transferred to our school - IDK from where - before his junior year). There were also enough clues to indicate where he worked - and he'd been there since at least 2000. :eek:

The "John Doe" entry was from 2013! And he still has an active license!

One thing that stood out was that he'd received numerous complaints to his employer regarding his lack of personal hygiene and grooming, and that his clothes were unkempt and dirty. He was that way when I went to school with him, too. :( I don't think he's related to anyone, shall we say, important, so that's not an explanation.

I just don't get it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most states have a suspended sentence type of deal where said pharmacist would enter rehab in exchange for not having their license outright taken away.

As for the personal hygiene thing...well, just stick 'em on night shift with no tech, there you go?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People have problems, it's insane. I wouldn't like my pharmacist to be a schizo or have bipolar disorder. How many of our doctors have depression or other psychiatric diseases? It's f'n scary. The people you think are so normal can be the worst off sometimes.

Knock on wood, I'm very happy I don't have any of those problems. I f'n curse a lot, but I'll take that a billion times over any mental or physical illness any day.

Here's another head scratcher. A patient called and we said we're waiting to here back for a PA on risperidone and pt said "why the hell do I need a PA? Everyone in my family takes risperidone!" So I look up by last name and addresses and sure enough 5 people- adults and children all on respiridone! Someone needs to buy a beware of dog sign and replace dog with psychotic family.

Here's another head scratcher. A patient called and we said we're waiting to here back for a PA on risperidone and pt said "why the hell do I need a PA? Everyone in my family takes risperidone!" So I look up by last name and addresses and sure enough 5 people- adults and children all on respiridone! Someone needs to buy a beware of dog sign and replace dog with psychotic family.

Whaddya bet the dog was on risperidone, too? j/k

One incident where a person goes to rehab and their gets their license and/or job back? Sure. But over and over again? I just don't get it.

Another thing that stood out was that at the time this was all going on, he had no permanent address. He was living in a motel, and would give his paycheck to his mother, who paid his bills for him and gave him an allowance! :wow:

Someone I know abuses opiates and is an rph. It doesn't affect her work. She does it on the weekends, and has an active script for vicodin so she'd never fail her drug test.

Contrary to popular belief, some people can use drugs responsibly. Maybe 85% of the population can't, and that's why drugs are illegal, but there are ALOT of doctors, pharmacists, lawyers who abuse drugs but still function perfectly normal in society. It's not uncommon. They're just smart enough to know their limits.

A non-educated person? Maybe not so much.

Someone I know abuses opiates and is an rph. It doesn't affect her work. She does it on the weekends, and has an active script for vicodin so she'd never fail her drug test.

Contrary to popular belief, some people can use drugs responsibly. Maybe 85% of the population can't, and that's why drugs are illegal, but there are ALOT of doctors, pharmacists, lawyers who abuse drugs but still function perfectly normal in society. It's not uncommon. They're just smart enough to know their limits.

Eventually it will catch up.

Reactions: 1 user

Can you abuse drugs and use them responsibly at the same time?

Reactions: 1 users
Uhh yes? Who didn't do drugs in school.

I never took in drugs in school. Most people don't.

Someone I know abuses opiates and is an rph. It doesn't affect her work. She does it on the weekends, and has an active script for vicodin so she'd never fail her drug test. A non-educated person? Maybe not so much.

Perhaps you are wrong in your assessment that this person is abusing drugs. If she has an active script, then maybe she had a legitimate need for it. Maybe she minimizes use during the week, so as not to affect her work, maybe she does more manual labor around her house during the weekend, so she needs to take more Vicodin during the weekend?

I never took in drugs in school. Most people don't.

Likely you just didn't know it was going on...Adderall use was fairly prevalent at my undergraduate school. It was also high pressure/difficult, which tends to increase use.

Likely you just didn't know it was going on...Adderall use was fairly prevalent at my undergraduate school. It was also high pressure/difficult, which tends to increase use.

Well, I went to school in the 80's, before Ritalin was prescribed like it was a candy. Probably someone in my class was taking a stimulant, but I didn't know anyone who did, and I honestly did not know anyone who took any drugs (other than a couple of occasional pot smokers.)

Well, I went to school in the 80's, before Ritalin was prescribed like it was a candy. Probably someone in my class was taking a stimulant, but I didn't know anyone who did, and I honestly did not know anyone who took any drugs (other than a couple of occasional pot smokers.)

Oh nevermind, hahah, I don't keep track of peoples' ages around here.

Like I said, drugs are illegal because ~~ 85% of the population can't use them and not get addicted/prevent it from ruining their lives. They spend their life savings on it and destroy everything they ever worked for.

Now, the other 15% that CAN do this.....Doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, engineers, architects, nurses, educated people. They know their limits, and while there are people who still destroy their lives, a lot don't.

As for the woman I know, she's scripted Vicodin, but she abuses Oxycontin which she gets from dealers, etc. The point I was making was that she has an active script for an opiate, so she can take ANY opiate and no one will know.

Like I said, drinking and driving is illegal because ~~ 85% of the population can't do it and not ruining their lives or other's. They spend their life savings on it and destroy everything they ever worked for.

Now, the other 15% that CAN do this.....Doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, engineers, architects, nurses, educated people. They know their limits, and while there are people who still destroy their lives, a lot don't.

As for the guy I know, she's scripted Vicodin, but she abuses alcohol which she gets from your neighborhood store, etc. The point I was making was that he can drive from home and to school where he works without any problems.

I mean I know a lot of people who drink and drive responsibly.

When I was in college, the big stay-awake drugs were caffeine and ephedrine, which was sold as an asthma remedy.