How Does The Semester System Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has Sept-Dec for fall term, Jan-April winter term, May-June spring term and July-Aug summer term.

I think this is a semester system.

Would Jan-April be designated spring in the AMCAS entry? Would Sept-April count as a full year? I'm very confused as to how AMCAS treats this and their employees are unhelpful.

Members don't see this ad.

it really looks like 2 full semesters (fall and winter) and then a split summer semester (May-Aug). Very weird setup. I'd ask your guidance office how they would classify it.

Your university is strange if May-June is considered a semester.

Generally a semester is about 4-5 months long, with a year being August-May. In your case, September-April is treated as an academic year, unless May-June "semester" is required (considered academic by your university)

Members don't see this ad :)
What months does the mini semester winter/spring cover?

My school has a similar set up, a may-June "maymester" and june-august summer session. We are a semester system because these semesters are not 'required'. The question to ask is are all
undergraduates there during your spring and summer semesters. If not you are a semester set-up. You should probably ask the registar. They will actually have an answer as opposed to speculation.

Sounds more like a J-term

My school has a similar set up, a may-June "maymester" and june-august summer session. We are a semester system because these semesters are not 'required'. The question to ask is are all
undergraduates there during your spring and summer semesters. If not you are a semester set-up. You should probably ask the registar. They will actually have an answer as opposed to speculation.

My school is the same. Maymester and summer are optional.

Did you guys consider maymester as summer?

Did you guys consider maymester as summer?
iirc there is a separate classification on amcas for something like maymester. i may be wrong though- i'm not entirely sure