How early to start applying for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fede

Fede = fed up
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the time frame going into CA3 year that one should start applying to jobs in both academia and private practice. Is the end of CA2 year/beginning of CA3 year too soon? Is there a difference depending on whether you are just sending your resume to groups you are interested in vs. applying directly to a posted position? Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what is the time frame going into CA3 year that one should start applying to jobs in both academia and private practice. Is the end of CA2 year/beginning of CA3 year too soon? Is there a difference depending on whether you are just sending your resume to groups you are interested in vs. applying directly to a posted position? Thanks for the insight.

In my experience, it was never too early to start sending resumes to groups to express interest. Usually if it's too early, they will either let you know if they have an idea as to when they might be hiring or they won't respond. Either way, there's no harm.

Start by identifying a good practice. Call the Chairman even if it's in your CA1 year. Establish a connection and then build on it. Visit when you can get away for a few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer the thread title by channeling my inner @Consigliere: first thing in the morning, right after your constitutional.

What about fellowship-trained folks... When did you start? Right after match?

I started calling groups in July when I started my fellowship. I also started calling all the previous fellows that graduated my program who went to groups I was interested in. That approach yielded the best results, as I had an immediate "in". I had a signed contract with a group that fall. I feel like a lot of people waited until late in the year to start calling/interviewing, which I think is too late.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Going into your CA-3 year?!? Man, in today's environment as soon as you sign your contract for residency, START APPLYING. Maybe, just maybe, through a combination of sheer luck and dropping names such as Noyac, JPP, PGG, or FFP you'll be given a job.

Reactions: 1 user
What about fellowship-trained folks... When did you start? Right after match?

Started looking in July, location was a big priority. Had multiple interviews by November, signed by early next year.

Recommend: priority number one pass boards, apply for state license early (if diff than fellowship), start looking mid-end of CA3, have some vacation time scheduled in later fall to travel if need be.

we generally interview people 6-12 months before their work start date. We've also interviewed CA2 residents that really wanted to work in our area and wanted their name out early.

If you really know where you want to go, the earlier the better so they can plan out their hiring around your timeline. If you are indifferent on location, 9-12 months out from end of residency is probably fine.

Earlier the better. Always.
During residency I contacted a group that I really liked and unfortunately, my timing was not good as they were not hiring. I kept in touch with several leadership members over 10 years, and when I was back on the market looking for a job, I was immediately offered an interview and subsequently offered the job. By that time, they knew me pretty well.
I moved on to something different, but it was good to know that maintaining meaningful contact with a quality group ended up being helpful over time. At the same time, it expands your web of connections.
Just don't be overly annoying- that will get your CV in the trash pretty quickly. Don't ask me how I know that.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll echo what Mman and Sevo have said above. The more you limit yourself geographically, the earlier you should start looking and make contacts. I'll also echo what Sevo says about keeping in touch with groups you like and your former co-residents. Here's my story:

One of my good buddies in residency was very focused on where he wanted to end up (family reasons). He started looking in July/August of CA-3 year. He got an offer from a great group (in my home town) and signed his contract in Sept of CA-3 year. I started looking in October of my CA-3 year. My buddy had told me the group he signed with was looking for 1 more, so I sent in my stuff. But, I was convinced at the time I wanted to get outta the state so I cast a wide net and looked all over west of the rockies. The group I was really interested was no longer hiring (had interviewed a bunch of people over the summer). I went on a few interviews with quality groups, but those jobs ended up falling through for various reasons. By this time it was January. The group my buddy signed with had now decided they no longer needed a second new hire. I ended up signing on with a good (but not stellar) job in the same town as my residency who had reached out to me a few months prior. Kept in touch socially with my residency buddy. 2 years later I get a call from his group: "Hey we're expanding and need some per diem work - interested?" "Sure" I says. After a couple months of per diem work, they decided they needed me full time, and boom, I backdoored my way into a great group in my home town (by this point had decided that it was better to stay near family with a young family of my own).

Moral of that longwinded story:
1) Apply early
2) Keep in touch

Reactions: 1 users
Going into your CA-3 year?!? Man, in today's environment as soon as you sign your contract for residency, START APPLYING. Maybe, just maybe, through a combination of sheer luck and dropping names such as Noyac, JPP, PGG, or FFP you'll be given a job.
I am actually still looking for one (the one I wanted didn't go through), but I doubt anybody would care about SDN name dropping. :)

As a smallish private practice group, we are always looking for new partners. We have 10 currently, and over the next 10 years I personally expect to hire 5-7 MDs based on retirement and expansion. We have hired as early as July CA2 year (2 years prior to starting) to hiring guys late in their careers.
A year of an extra partner is not a big deal if that person is right for the long term fit for the group.
I personally started looking July CA2, contacted groups winter CA2, interviewed spring CA2-winter CA3 and signed in December CA3 year, after having offers from October CA3.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I was one of the late applicants. I applied January of fellowship year. Got my signed contract in May. Started work in Sept. I probably should have started looking early in the Fall.

My advice in fellowship? Go to one of those subspecialty meetings. Those are huge networking affairs. I went to SOCCA and actually got my job directly based on how I met the Chair of my department there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As a smallish private practice group, we are always looking for new partners. We have 10 currently, and over the next 10 years I personally expect to hire 5-7 MDs based on retirement and expansion. We have hired as early as July CA2 year (2 years prior to starting) to hiring guys late in their careers.
A year of an extra partner is not a big deal if that person is right for the long term fit for the group.
I personally started looking July CA2, contacted groups winter CA2, interviewed spring CA2-winter CA3 and signed in December CA3 year, after having offers from October CA3.

What region are you located?

I'll echo what Mman and Sevo have said above. The more you limit yourself geographically, the earlier you should start looking and make contacts. I'll also echo what Sevo says about keeping in touch with groups you like and your former co-residents. Here's my story:

One of my good buddies in residency was very focused on where he wanted to end up (family reasons). He started looking in July/August of CA-3 year. He got an offer from a great group (in my home town) and signed his contract in Sept of CA-3 year. I started looking in October of my CA-3 year. My buddy had told me the group he signed with was looking for 1 more, so I sent in my stuff. But, I was convinced at the time I wanted to get outta the state so I cast a wide net and looked all over west of the rockies. The group I was really interested was no longer hiring (had interviewed a bunch of people over the summer). I went on a few interviews with quality groups, but those jobs ended up falling through for various reasons. By this time it was January. The group my buddy signed with had now decided they no longer needed a second new hire. I ended up signing on with a good (but not stellar) job in the same town as my residency who had reached out to me a few months prior. Kept in touch socially with my residency buddy. 2 years later I get a call from his group: "Hey we're expanding and need some per diem work - interested?" "Sure" I says. After a couple months of per diem work, they decided they needed me full time, and boom, I backdoored my way into a great group in my home town (by this point had decided that it was better to stay near family with a young family of my own).

Moral of that longwinded story:
1) Apply early
2) Keep in touch
I've met/worked with guys from 2 different groups in the area I would like to return to after residency. I'm still 5 years away from that time.

My question is, how do you "keep in touch" in a meaningful way that keeps your name fresh to them, without being annoying? I know a couple guys I can bounce ideas off as I apply to residency this fall. Just curious what other suggestions you might have, from those of you suggesting we maintain that contact?

I've met/worked with guys from 2 different groups in the area I would like to return to after residency. I'm still 5 years away from that time.

My question is, how do you "keep in touch" in a meaningful way that keeps your name fresh to them, without being annoying? I know a couple guys I can bounce ideas off as I apply to residency this fall. Just curious what other suggestions you might have, from those of you suggesting we maintain that contact?

Ideally I would try to get to know and hang out with a few of the guys on a social level, but I realize that may not be possible. Since you're so far out, I would probably just reach back out and make some calls as you near the end of your CA-1 year.

Bump!

Background-new CA1 2 months in, big Midwest program

So on call last night I was browsing gas work with one of our CA3s who was talking about her job status. We came across a gig in a small town, pretty rural location that basically is my ideal set up call and supervision wise. I have a ton of family near this location and found out the first contact from the group posted actually went to my program. [Which is like 2000 miles away from the job]

Obviously I'm too green to be searching for job offers at this point, but would it be within reason to reach out to them in hopes that they'd keep me in mind when the time comes?

Last edited:
Bump!

Background-new CA1 2 months in, big Midwest program

So on call last night I was browsing gas work with one of our CA3s who was talking about her job status. We came across a gig in a small town, pretty rural location that basically is my ideal set up call and supervision wise. I have a ton of family near this location and found out the first contact from the group posted actually went to my program. [Which is like 2000 miles away from the job]

Obviously I'm too green to be searching for job offers at this point, but would it be within reason to reach out to them in hopes that they'd keep me in mind when the time comes?

Never too early, especially if in a small area that you are sure you want to live. Sometimes groups can afford to wait a little to hire, or hire earlier than needed to get the right fit. Convince them you are right!

They may have another retirement coming up in 2 years, you will never know until you try. I would not try to interview for the current job though, just get in touch, ask if you can stop by when you go to visit family next time. That sort of thing.

Better would be to figure out when they graduated, and find a faculty person that was around then, or classmates (best). Ask them what they thought of that person. That may lead to an intro from an old friend.

Reactions: 1 user