How Enzyme Kinetic Heavy was the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPA

PA-C
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any MCAT 2015 war veterans elaborate on the major points? I am assuming inhibition is a main point. But how about deriving Vmax, Kcat, Km, and the other equations?

Members don't see this ad.

Vmax, Km are intertwined with inhibition. I would understand the MM equation as well as the Lineweaver Burk Plot. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but the practice tests I've taken usually have a couple of questions about it.

It depends on the MCAT version you get. Some have a lot of enzyme kinetics on it and some are much more biology-focused.

Reactions: 1 users
It's definitely a high yield topic, so I would make sure it's one of the ones I know pretty well. Just going off of my experiences with ~10 practice exams and the MCAT, you are pretty much guaranteed to see it in a passage.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@alpha-GTP and @Kpw101 are you memorizing each enzyme involved in metabolic biochemical mechanisms? (e.g glycolysis)

I didn't do that because it was an inefficient use of my limited study time. I just made sure to know the major concepts (2 NADH+2ATP, "investment" and "payoff phase", 3 irreversible reactions, different ways the pathway is regulated, etc.). There was one time (in the question bank, I think) that I had to know what a random PPP enzyme did. However, I think you have a really small chance of being asked about a specific enzyme and reaction. Sufficient info will most likely be given in the passage.

Some can have a lot, some dont. Its very high yield for both CP and BB and is very important to learn imo. I wouldnt chance it on this particular topic.

Can someone order these from MOST important to LEAST important? or tell me what needs to known in depth? THANK YOU!!!

Below is my entire biochemistry course and what I learned. I saved my lecture videos and am going to go back and relearn some material I may have forgotten.

Enzyme Kinetics
Glycolysis
Enzyme Catalysis and Regulation
TCA Cycle
oxidative phosphorylation
Photosynthesis
Gluconeogenesis
Lipid Metabolism
Amino Acid Metabolism
Regulation of Metabolism
Amine/Nucleotide Metabolism
DNA Structure
DNA Replication
RNA Synthesis
Translation
Gene Regulation

Can someone order these from MOST important to LEAST important? or tell me what needs to known in depth? THANK YOU!!!

Below is my entire biochemistry course and what I learned. I saved my lecture videos and am going to go back and relearn some material I may have forgotten.

Enzyme Kinetics
Glycolysis
TCA Cycle
Photosynthesis
Gluconeogenesis
Lipid Metabolism
Amino Acid Metabolism
Regulation of Metabolism
DNA Structure
DNA Replication
RNA Synthesis
Translation
Gene Regulation
Cross reference the AAMC official guide outline. On the AAMC guide outline I believe they go in depth of what you need to know for each thing I believe.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a-4c00-83dd-c17cee034c47/mcat2015-content.pdf

Last edited:

*Enzyme Kinetics
*Glycolysis
*Enzyme Catalysis and Regulation
*TCA Cycle
*oxidative phosphorylation
Photosynthesis
Gluconeogenesis
Lipid Metabolism
Amino Acid Metabolism
*Regulation of Metabolism
*DNA Structure
*DNA Replication
*RNA Synthesis
*Translation
*Gene Regulation

Didn't prioritize but focus on asterisks

I found Anki to be one of the best ways to retain the information (soooooooo MANY ENZYMES!) when relearning the content. I got an A in biochem but I zombie moded my study habits and never truly "learned" or "understood" the material. Its biting my ass right now, especially after I got raped by some of the biochem practice tests.

Does anyone have any recommendations on improvement of data analysis and interpretation skills? This is killing me....

Enzyme Kinetics
Glycolysis
TCA Cycle
Photosynthesis
Gluconeogenesis
Lipid Metabolism
Amino Acid Metabolism
Regulation of Metabolism
DNA Structure
DNA Replication
RNA Synthesis
Translation
Gene Regulation

I hate memorizing things and I think I suffered a point or two in the Biology section because of this. I also did not really get to Amino Acid/Lipid Metabolism in my Biochemistry class so there is that. Personally I didn't make any flashcards or anything, but I think they could help if you have a time to focus on the metabolic pathways. With that said, I still believe they are extremely low yield. You included some broad categories like Regulation of Metabolism and Enzyme Catalysis and Regulation. If you understand those, I'd imagine you would know a reasonable amount about the various metabolic pathways as well.

Last edited:
Ended up with a 521 on the July MCAT. (130/132/128/131)
I hate memorizing things and I think I suffered a point or two in the Biology section because of this. I also did not really get to Amino Acid/Lipid Metabolism in my Biochemistry class so there is that. Personally I didn't make any flashcards or anything, but I think they could help if you have a time to focus on the metabolic pathways. With that said, I still believe they are extremely low yield. You included some broad categories like Regulation of Metabolism and Enzyme Catalysis and Regulation. If you understand those, I'd imagine you would know a reasonable amount about the various metabolic pathways as well.

What were some of the high yield biology if I may ask??