How essential is calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rebecca-Lynn96

I'm eating pie
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When it comes to math, I'm like a fish out of water. The Biology major that I want to pursue requires either statistics or calculus. If I complete a semester of statistics and then a semester of calculus, am I in the clear? Or would completing two semesters of calc plus one of statistics really make me more competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

I realize this doesn't answer your question but...the professor makes a HUGE difference.

Yea it does, my pre-calc teacher this semester is super nice but I'm like always in a state of mild confusion. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Calculus is not essential, nor will two semesters have any bearing on your competetiveness, other than factoring into your math/science GPA. An education in stats is significantly more useful in our chosen field. All you need to take away from calc is a broad, conceptual understanding of a derivative and an integral, which is not difficult.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with @TheLionheart. Stats is immensely more useful. I wish I could have taken more advanced stats (ANCOVA, that one variance with nests, etc)... but then again, I just tukey everything for my area of research anyway.

But alas, calculus is a requirement for my major and thus I must take it. Good weedout class though. T_T

Calculus is worthless for physicians. Meanwhile, statistics is immensely relevant.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely take biostats. Even the schools that require calculus (minus Harvard, which requires 2 semesters of calc for some reason) say that you can replace it with biostats to fulfill the math requirements. Like others have said, biostats is more useful and relevant for the medical field.

Reactions: 1 user
took stats and an algebra-based physics course. did well on the MCAT and got into a great school.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just take it, it's an easy A.

Your brain must work very differently from mine. Math will most definitely be my lowest grade.

So taking statistics and biostatistics will look just as good and be more useful than calculus? Thanks for all of the advice!

Your brain must work very differently from mine. Math will most definitely be my lowest grade.

So taking statistics and biostatistics will look just as good and be more useful than calculus? Thanks for all of the advice!
Stats and biostats is the same thing. Take one of the stats and then something else.

Also, it definitely isn't as hard as other math courses. Less thinking involved and more recall.

my stats class consisted of collecting data and then following insturctions on printouts. best A ever

not a good attitude going into it, i thought the same thing and it's the "A" grade i'm most proud of

Calculus is one of the most wonderful and useful discoveries by human beings. Without it, volume of solids with abnormal shapes or mass of objects with multiple densities cannot be calculated. Learn it for fun :D.

Cal 1: Derivative
Cal 2: Integral + Series & Sequences
Cal 3: Multi-variable functions & vector calculus

Actually, Statistics is not "math" though - people major in Statistics can explain you why. Math is about absolute answer, not prediction.

Last edited:
Calculus is one of the most wonderful and useful discoveries by human beings. Without it, volume of solids with abnormal shapes or mass of objects with multiple densities can not be calculated. Learn it for fun :D.

Cal 1: Derivative
Cal 2: Integral + Series & Sequences
Cal 3: Multi-variable functions & vector calculus
d6f.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
@toutou, I would say it's a good way to improve critical thinking skills--or maybe just take a logic class I suppose.

Some schools require Calc I, Calc II would not be necessary for almost any med school. Even harvard changed their requirements on that one. Definitely take stats as well, and look through the different schools you are interested in to see if they require calc or not.

I agree with other posters that stats is SO, SO useful. However, it seems like more schools are starting to require at least a semester of calc. Maybe just keep that in mind. I'm not sure if that could become more the norm if you're a few years from applying.

Yes I've seen that quite a number of them at least recommend calc. So I'm hoping that if I do a semester of Statistics and then a semester of Applied Calculus I can increase the range of schools that would accept me without driving myself crazy. If I were to take calculus w/analytical geometry one through two I would have to take precalculus two over the summer, whereas with Stats and Applied Calc I can jump in having only completed pre calc one.

All you ever use in medicine is stats. Calculus was out of sight and out of mind in 99% of my training. I guess if you want to do radiation oncology and need to figure out the total dose in your field, knowing a bit about integrals might be important.... but there's usually a medical physicist for that.. so yeah. Do 1 semester of calculus to fulfill requirements and then really learn those stats. They are so important.